F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: WesnWylie]
      #88673 - Wed Aug 04 2010 03:39 PM

Colin looks to be regaining composure in the last frames of the Floater Vis Loop. 92L is rather ragged looking.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: MichaelA]
      #88674 - Wed Aug 04 2010 03:54 PM

If Colin regenerates is it still Colin or does it become Danielle (assuming 92L doesn't get that name)?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #88675 - Wed Aug 04 2010 04:11 PM

It would stay Colin unless it was indiscernible from the old system. It borderline happened with Katrina in 2005 when TD#10 formed, faded, then TD#12 formed that eventually became Katrina. TD#10 and TD#12 were basically the same area, but not quite, this is a case of where it was different. (See the 2005 thread about it)

Colin is pretty straightforward though, it would likely keep the name.

Doubt it'll happen before Tomorrow night at the earliest though.

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Treasure Coast FL
Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: MikeC]
      #88676 - Wed Aug 04 2010 05:12 PM

Am I going nuts or is there rotation in the ITCZ blob following ex-Colin and 92L (~48W and 8N)?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-rb.html

Look at the last few frames. Are my eyes deceiving me?

I'd also think the 8N/48W blob would be too far south to be a major concern. Reading through the last discussion I found no mention of it.

Searching for storms developing that far south I only found the 1990 Fran, a minimal TS that ran into South America.

It's okay if I'm nuts. It helps at work.

--------------------
Earliest memory Hurricane Cleo!
Went under Hurricane Gloria!

Edited by mikethewreck (Wed Aug 04 2010 05:49 PM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: mikethewreck]
      #88678 - Wed Aug 04 2010 06:15 PM

Boom! Convection exploding over the "center" of Colin in the latest Floater Vis Loop. Movement is NW near 20.0N; 61.5W.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: MichaelA]
      #88679 - Wed Aug 04 2010 06:19 PM

Over the last couple of hours a rather decent convective bloom has formed directly over the low-level circulation that was once TS Colin. Coordinates at 04/21Z were approximately 19.9N 61.6W and movement has slowed considerably - now northwest at about 10kts. Strong shear still exists to the north of the system. Surface winds still estimated at about 35kts.
ED

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88680 - Wed Aug 04 2010 07:11 PM

We're all looking at a rather impressive convective mass on all satellite images and the bottom line unfortunately is no closed surface low despite tropical storm (gale) force winds in the NE quadrant of the system. Shear analysis continues to indicate there are 30 to 40 knot winds aloft ahead of the wave and TUTT lows equally ahead in the near term.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: berrywr]
      #88681 - Wed Aug 04 2010 07:34 PM

That "No closed surface circulation" statement was made several hours before that convective blow up. Conditions could be decidedly different now.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: berrywr]
      #88682 - Wed Aug 04 2010 08:06 PM

Ex-Colin continues to have a decent satellite signature. Concentrated area of lightning now being visible on the overnight visible satellite imagery. Area is circular and resembles a CDO type structure.
I was somewhat surprised that RECON flew the system but given it's satellite presentation it appears that NHC wanted to make sure that it was not a tropical cyclone. RECON did find Tropical storm force winds in the NE Quad of the system remnants... but no closed circulation.
This system is being closely watched, as evidenced by the RECON flight, satellite floater and models continuing to generate track data.

Models continue to take the remains out to sea and somewhat toward Bermuda.

92L is barely a honorable mention right now and the models continue to track it toward the Belize/ Yucatan Peninsula and into Northeastern Mexico.
Yet another tropical systems possibly going ashore in NE Mexico.

Northern GOM may need watching as several outflow boundaries have crossed through the MS/ LA Coastal areas over the last two days and into the Northern GOM. Not likely to develop anything but might get an extra glance or two.

Edited by danielw (Wed Aug 04 2010 08:18 PM)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: danielw]
      #88683 - Wed Aug 04 2010 08:13 PM

This is off the immediate topic but relates to every topic.
Klotzbach and Gray have not changed their forecast for this season as outlined in the following report released today.

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/Forecasts/2010/aug2010/aug2010.pdf

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: danielw]
      #88684 - Wed Aug 04 2010 08:21 PM

I'm wondering if Colin will be reestablished if that convection persists into tomorrow without being sheared off. 92L has no convection associated with it this evening.

Edit: 8 PM TWO gives Colin a 40% chance of redevelopment.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Edited by MichaelA (Wed Aug 04 2010 08:28 PM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: mikethewreck]
      #88685 - Wed Aug 04 2010 08:25 PM

That's pretty far south and heading due West, so I don't think it will be anything significant. The area at 10N; 30W seems to be trying to wrap up, though.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: MikeC]
      #88686 - Wed Aug 04 2010 09:23 PM

We have to go with NHC at the end of the day, but I did notice earlier in the day that some llv vorticity was spun out of the vicinity of where the system's lat/lon were pegged. This small gyre even had a single glaciating tower or two associated with it as it trundled away to the west and dissipated.

Edit: It should also be noted that NHC has recoded Colin - or Colin's remnants - in Orange as of 8pm.

Edited by typhoon_tip (Wed Aug 04 2010 09:26 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #88687 - Wed Aug 04 2010 11:16 PM

Flight plan issued today for Thursday. Subject to change. New Plan of the Day should be out by 10 AM Thursday.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, National Hurricane Center, MIAMI, FL.
1030 AM EDT WED 04 AUGUST 2010
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 05/1100Z TO 06/1100Z AUGUST 2010
TCPOD NUMBER.....10-066

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM COLIN
FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 71
A. 05/1800Z
B. AFXXX 0204A COLIN
C. 05/1630Z
D. 23.0N 67.0W
E. 05/1730Z TO 05/2130Z
F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK:
04L
A. A 06/1800Z FIX ON COLIN IF STILL A VIABLE
SYSTEM NEAR 27.0N 69.0W.

92L
B. A POSSIBLE LOW LEVEL INVEST AT 06/1500Z
NEAR 16.5N 84.5W.

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: MichaelA]
      #88688 - Thu Aug 05 2010 05:58 AM

As I stated in my post; while it looks impressive on satellite at any given point in time doesn't mean it can sustain itself for any length of time and such is the case this evening and morning. The first chart forecasters like myself look at is the Wind Shear Analysis and for the moment the remains of Colin are embedded in winds aloft of 20 to 30 as high as 40 knots aloft. While 20 isn't death, 30 to 40 knots is for any tropical system to gain in vertical depth and organization. When I was in school the hardest thing I had to do when analyzing clouds were which ones were shallow, mid and upper level and determine what directions each of those elements were. Ed makes a good point about this in his met discussions....because there isn't a surface low does not mean there is no rotation within the system; it may be broad, it may be a remnant low or simply non-tropical; however in the mid and upper levels there is usually rotation. When mets refer to shear they normally are talking about winds at 300 millibars or 30,000 feet MSL. There is low level shear as was the case a couple of days ago; the Low Level Easterly Jet which can only be found in the Tropics. You may remember that the system was moving incredibly fast...30 mph which in and of itself is shear which in fact disrupted the system's surface circulation. Whatever becomes of this system for the near term is not a threat to the US with a TUTT oriented NE to SW acting like a big wall. Not to be too technical; we're currently in what mets call a 5 wave pattern; that is 5 longwave troughs around the globe. This pattern is generally progressive, that is there on the move; generally west to east. Long range models continue to reflect the Mid-Continental Upper Ridge to be in place...slightly weaken...re-strengthen and weaken ever so slightly again but retrograde further to the west allowing a longwave trough to set up shop near the East Coast. What this means is the East Coast is closed for business for the near future out at least one week. There will be a narrow opportunity for this system to become a depression as it moves NW in about 36 to 48 hours. Between now and then; doubtful though it won't be at all uncommon to see some big thunderstorms go up. What matters is can they be sustained. At the trough axis there is a clear dividing line between dry and subsidence air and rising and moist air; typical of tropical waves.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Two Areas Neither a Real Threat [Re: MikeC]
      #88690 - Thu Aug 05 2010 10:14 AM

Upper level westerly windshear has exposed the low-level circulation of ex-Colin near 23.5N 65.2W at 05/13Z moving to the north. While the circulation does appear closed on satellite (similar to yesterday evening), all of the convection has been displaced to the east by the windshear. Some intensification seems likely once the system moves north of the shear zone, but the more northerly turn is a good indicator that the system will remain at sea as indicated by various model outputs.
ED

Fairhopian
Weather Watcher

Loc:
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: MichaelA]
      #88692 - Thu Aug 05 2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

92L has no convection associated with it this evening.

92L does have convection this morning and its upper level clouds appear to be somewhat aligned with its shallow clouds. Will the impending encounter with the upper ridge (to its immediate West) likely affect 92L's steering or rate of development? Watching what appears to be the "belt buckle" of 92L at 15N, 80W (I'm a former defensive back), its movement appears to be a little more north of due west in the last few frames. What does an upper ridge typically do to a tropical low crossing under it?

Fairhopian
Weather Watcher

Loc:
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again [Re: Fairhopian]
      #88693 - Thu Aug 05 2010 12:20 PM

Okay, so the feature I described above may not be 92L exactly, but rather what appears to be the most dominant feature on the 92L floater. Any comments would still be appreciated. Thanks.

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Re: Two Areas Neither a Real Threat [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88694 - Thu Aug 05 2010 01:32 PM

Looking at visible satellite imagery this afternoon there is clearly a tight cyclonic swirl at the surface with convective activity displaced to the east. Wind Shear analysis has a small high just to the SW of the system but just to the NW an area of 40 knot winds aloft. I've seen worse presentations on satellite and systems have a depression or storm classification. By definition what were looking at is at least a depression but the winds aloft for the time being are going to make it next to impossible for "Colin" to maintain any level of vertical cohesiveness. There is an opportunity ahead for "Colin" to regain tropical storm status if the small anticyclone to its SW can travel along the top or travel in the narrow area of light winds aloft in about 24 more hours. This system is no threat to the US and especially if it does regain storm status and thus be steered by the mid and upper level winds which a long wave trough/TUTT will block an advance towards the US.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
Re: Two Areas Neither a Real Threat [Re: berrywr]
      #88695 - Thu Aug 05 2010 01:37 PM

I am wondering if Colin will end up being subtropical if/when it is classified. It just does not appear to be purely tropical in nature.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 34555

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center