F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Watching Wave 95L for Next Week
      #88884 - Fri Aug 13 2010 03:48 PM

8 AM EDT 20 August 2010
The first sign of activity for next week is the East Atlantic system, designated 95L this morning.

This system is likely to develop slowly at first, but is fairly likely to develop. But not until early next week (Monday or Tuesday).

Once it does develop, odds highly favor it becoming a hurricane that goes out to sea well before the islands of the Caribbean.

95L Event Related Links

float6latest.gif stormplotthumb_6.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=6 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 95L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 95L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 95L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 95L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 95L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 95L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 95L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

6 PM EDT 19 August 2010
Continued slowness throughout the Atlantic basin, with two areas with a slight development chance.

The first area, in the West Caribbean is running out of time to develop and likely will just impact central America with rainfall, and another area in the far west Atlantic that may develop next week if it persists, but even if it does odds are it would stay out to sea.

There may be other activity next week to watch, but nothing this week.

7:45 AM EDT 18 August 2010
The area in the Caribbean likely won't develop and will just be a rainmaker, and the rest of the basin is fairly quiet, and likely to remain so most of this week.

7:45 AM EDT 17 August 2010
The remnants of Tropical Depression five have moved back onshore eliminating the chances for development it had, This leaves the Atlantic without any pending areas to track. Which for this time in August is pretty rare. One wave in the east Atlantic has fizzled and likely will not develop, another may later.

There is also an area in the East Caribbean that may be worth watching. Convection has increased as the wave interacts with an upper level low in the central Caribbean.

In short, not much happening in the next few days. Late this week into next week may get busy, however.

6:45 AM EDT 16 August 2010

The system formerly known as tropical depression 5 has a chance to reform as early as this afternoon, but will likely only bring more rainfall to the area. Most of the rain is currently offshore and south of the center of the storm, which right now is just south of Panama City Beach in the Florida panhandle.

The system is forecast to loop over the gulf and make landfall again somewhere near the Louisiana/Mississippi border likely Thursday.

In the meantime the system has a chance to become a Tropical Storm and cause minor surge and plenty of rainfall. For most areas of the gulf it will be a non-event.

Beyond that, it is quiet in the Atlantic, and the next hint of development may be in the Eastern Atlantic late this week.

North Gulf Links North Gulf/Southern Mississippi Valley Composite Radar Loop (Latest Static) East to West:

Mobile, AL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

New Orleans, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Lake Charles, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Houston/Galveston, TX Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Gulf of Mexico Satellite Imagery

Area Forecast Discussions: Mississippi/Alabama/Pensacola - New Orleans, LA - Lake Charles, LA - Houston/Galveston, TX

Ex-TD#5 Event Related Links

float5latest.gif stormplotthumb_5.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=5 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Ex-TD#5
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Ex-TD#5

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Ex-TD#5 (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Ex-TD#5 (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Ex-TD#5

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Ex-TD#5
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Ex-TD#5 -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

7 AM 15 August 2010
It's mid August, and with a mostly quiet Atlantic there is a system that has hung around and is likely to move back over water, the former Tropical Depression #5 area.

The system is currently near Montgomery, Alabama, the area is expected to drift southward over the Florida Panhandle and re-emerge into the Gulf of Mexico overnight tonight, there it has a brief opportunity to regain strength and become a tropical depression or storm again. Conditions are actually more favorable once it gets back into the gulf than when TD#5 originally formed.

Looping tropical systems are notoriously hard to predict, but the best guess is another landfall early Wednesday near Louisiana as a tropical storm or depression.

Overall though, Odds are that it just will continue to bring rain, as the biggest issue with it developing is likely to be not enough time over water.

Original Update
The remnants of former TD5 are now over eastern Louisiana, southern Mississippi and southern Alabama. NRL position estimate at 13/18Z was 31.4N 88.2W. Some models poke it back out over the northern Gulf, but as weak as this system has become, I don’t think that it would be of much consequence since some models still maintain a mid-level low over the Florida panhandle and Alabama. Area is worth watching since heavy rain potential still exists in Alabama. Added: At 14/00Z the center position estimate was 32.2N 87.0W - the system has been moving to the northeast on Friday - away from the coast.

A broad area of lower pressure north of Panama and east of Nicaragua has some cyclonic curvature. The area is centered near 13.5N 79W and has been stationary. Convection remains on the outer limits of the system. The Atlantic side of Panama has no windshear, but the Pacific side is under moderate easterly shear. There is a slight chance for some slow development in this area.

A non-tropical system east of the Carolinas is developed into a stronger system by many of the longer range models and slowly transitioned into a more tropical system as it heads off to the northeast. Probability for tropical cyclone development is still low, but it has some potential and worth keeping an eye on.

A well developed tropical wave will exit the west African coast at about 18N in a couple of days – this wave has remained intact and large and looked well developed when it was at 17E quite a few days ago. Another SAL outbreak started yesterday and now extends south to the Cape Verde Islands, so like others before it, this new wave will have dry air ahead of it to contend with. But this one seems to have enough structure to have a better chance for survival and could become a tropical system in about a week.

Sat24 West Africa Loop

Just some areas to watch - nothing is expected to develop in the next few days.
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 21 2010 10:17 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Wait and Watch or Vice Versa [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88885 - Fri Aug 13 2010 04:13 PM

The wave approaching the African coast does look strong. We'll see if it survives after emerging into the Atlantic, though. Looks like there are two more waves traversing the African continent behind it, but they don't appear to be quite as strong. The area in the Caribbean looks a little less organized now than it did earlier today, but certainly bears watching while the area on the Pacific side has succumbed to the shear over it today. The Caribbean area does have a lot of moisture to work with and fairly good UL divergence. That's a heck of a trough off the East coast with lots of shear, so betting nothing develops there. The trough moving across the central US should help kick the remains of TD5 to the NE and E in the next few days.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
TD5 Remnants - Redevelopment in GOM? [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88886 - Fri Aug 13 2010 04:45 PM Attachment (191 downloads)

All kidding aside; time to take TD5 Remnants more serious....Marine Weather Discussion and models have the system returning to the GOM next week and are now hinting at the possibility of redevelopment with a track once again to the west across the northern portion of the GOM. Models are all over the place in regards to how strong the remnants are likely to become; GFS being much, much stronger at 96 hours and the ECMWF having the system remaining weak.

Stu Ostro made a pretty darn good case for the remnants of TD5 in fact being a depression (on his Facebook page) as it stalled just SE of LA and S of MS with radar having convective bands almost completely wrapping around the low level center Thursday morning.

Depending on how far the system re-emerges into the GOM will go a long way determining if the models verify and to what degree the system can be classified a depression or storm next week.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Edited by berrywr (Fri Aug 13 2010 05:32 PM)

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
Re: TD5 Remnants - Redevelopment in GOM? [Re: berrywr]
      #88887 - Fri Aug 13 2010 07:37 PM

The remnants of TD 5 are flaring up a lot over the inland this afternoon. The center appears to be along the south-central border of Mississippi and Alabama. The latest model runs are not showing this system getting as strong in the gulf as they were with the previous run or two. I guess we'll see what it does during the early to mid part of next week. BTW, Joe Bastardi has a good commentary regarding the remnants of TD 5 on Accuweather.com.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #88888 - Sat Aug 14 2010 08:00 AM

It's going to be a quiet weekend, but later in the week it looks like there may be more to track, and the pattern is starting to change, late August into September will likely be pretty busy.

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88889 - Sat Aug 14 2010 08:28 AM

To borrow a few lines from MythBusters - Everybody take a look at the 14/00Z global models package and ask yourself - Busted or Plausible? I think the GFS is a bit overdone, but the ECMWF which has been very, very good this season along with every model I looked at put this low back in GOM moving it south starting tomorrow. This morning it looks very good on satellite imagery despite appearing a bit elongated. It even has some banding.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: berrywr]
      #88890 - Sat Aug 14 2010 11:07 AM

It certainly looks like the remains of TD5 are doing a loop over Alabama this morning moving generally toward the SE. Persistent little bugger, isn't it? The GFS does appear to be a bit over-aggressive.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #88891 - Sat Aug 14 2010 11:27 AM

The latest SAL outbreak that started a couple of days ago is turning out to be rather significant and it could shut off the eastern Atlantic for awhile.

UW SSEC SAL Loop

Here is a link where you can watch the easterly waves as they approach the west coast of Africa:

Sat24 West African Satellite Loop

Cheers,
ED

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

#88892 - Sat Aug 14 2010 11:58 AM

I've been watching that SAL outbreak. It's also visible on the vis sat pics as well. That's a fairly strong SAL air mass and I'm wondering how those African waves will fare once they enter the Atlantic.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

berrywr
Weather Analyst

#88898 - Sun Aug 15 2010 02:01 AM

NHC has a bullseye over Alabama and 20% chances. Models continue to suggest re-development is plausible.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #88899 - Sun Aug 15 2010 03:46 AM

Since it's a once in a year occasion that a TD forms over the Southeast US. I'm going to post the NHC graphic. Yes, a 20% chance of tropical development from an overland system.
And while I'm posting things that are strange. NHC did run the basic tropical models on the remnants of TD5. It generated one 6 or 12 hour period with 15 kt winds and the models dissipated XTD 5.

I don't think it's going to go away that easy. Kind of in a cutoff low situation. Canadian model takes it well offshore and down to 1005 mb. Which probably isn't much lower than it is right now.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: danielw]
      #88900 - Sun Aug 15 2010 04:08 AM

Very good presentation/ explanation of what X TD 5 is doing and is forecast to do. Might belong in the forecast lounge, but system is somewhat current.

MARINE WEATHER DISCUSSION NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 350 AM EDT SUN AUG 15 2010

(excerpt~danielw)

...THE RIDGE WILL WEAKEN NEXT 30 HOURS AS GLOBAL MODELS CONTINUE TO
SHIFT LOW PRES INTO THE NE GULF COASTS MON MORNING THEN DRIFT IT
W AND ACROSS SE LOUISIANA THROUGH TUE EVENING BEFORE TURNING NW
AND COMPLETELY INLAND ACROSS SW LA TUE NIGHT-WED MORNING. GFS
CONTINUES TO BE VERY AGGRESSIVE WITH THIS LOW AND DEEPENS IT MON
NIGHT INTO TUE TO TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH. CANADIAN IS SOMEWHAT
SIMILAR AND A BIT FARTHER S IN TRAJECTORY WHILE REMAINDER OF
MODELS HAVE SIMILAR MOTION BUT DO NOT SHOW NEAR THE
STRENGTHENING. THIS LOW IS PERSISTING UNDERNEATH AN UPPER LEVEL
HIGH AND WILL MOVE SW THEN W WITHIN THE INNER PERIPHERY OF THIS
UPPER ANTICYCLONE AS IT MOVES OVER WATER. WE ARE MONITORING THIS
SYSTEM DURING ITS EVOLUTION NEXT 48 HOURS...BUT STILL REMAIN ON
THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE ATTM UNTIL SOME DEFINITIVE IMPROVED
STRUCTURE IS EVIDENT IN STLT OR RADAR. WILL CONTINUE TO GO WITH
15-20 KT WINDS ON S AND SE QUADS OF THIS LOW AS IT MOVES ACROSS
THE N CENTRAL GULF MON THROUGH TUE...

http://weather.cod.edu/kamala/TPC/latest.agxx40.KNHC.html

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: danielw]
      #88901 - Sun Aug 15 2010 10:22 AM

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water....

Looking at the satellite loops, the convection is growing around the remnants of TD 5 at an alarming rate very near to the coast. The LLC is still over land, but it's headed for the northeast Gulf, and while there's no convection near the LLC right now, the actual spin looks intact. It would not surprise me for it to be bumped up to code orange at 2pm. Heck, it looks better right now - with the LLC over land! - than it did for the last 12-24 hours when it was over the eastern Gulf before the recon couldn't locate a LLC. I almost got caught in the rain yesterday from this system - it was just light sprinkles when I was out and about but for a brief period of time there was a heavy downpour.

Regardless of whether the NHC decides to re-pull the trigger and call this thing TD 5 again, it's going to be a wet week along the Gulf coast.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: Hugh]
      #88902 - Sun Aug 15 2010 11:19 AM

I have a feeling we will have a tropical depression to track by sometime tomorrow. I think this is the type of system that can catch a lot of people off guard by "spinning up" quickly. I'll definitely be watching it since if its track were to shift just a little west my area could be affected by it.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: WesnWylie]
      #88903 - Sun Aug 15 2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

I have a feeling we will have a tropical depression to track by sometime tomorrow. I think this is the type of system that can catch a lot of people off guard by "spinning up" quickly. I'll definitely be watching it since if its track were to shift just a little west my area could be affected by it.

It's not supposed to get south enough to make it to Texas, I don't think.

Looking at the ball of convection south of Mobile, if the LLC were to reform (which wouldn't be out of the ordinary I don't think), we could have a depression or even a storm VERY quickly. Right now the LLC is over land, so the NHC won't pull the trigger even if there are reports of 40mph winds offshore, I don't think... but... you never know.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Loc:
      #88904 - Sun Aug 15 2010 11:39 AM

When the LLC gets into the GOM which will it be labeled prior to being a tropical depression again?

1.As the old wave it was before (94L)
2.A new wave (95L)
3.The Remnants of TD 5, so 05L

Just curious.

Edited by WesnWylie (Sun Aug 15 2010 11:50 AM)

orlandoweather

Reged: Mon
Loc:
      #88905 - Sun Aug 15 2010 11:47 AM

Should be TD5 should be a strong tropical storm not so sure about a hurricane though

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#88906 - Sun Aug 15 2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

When the LLC gets into the GOM which will it be labeled prior to being a tropical depression again?
1.As the old wave it was before (94L)
2.A new wave (95L)
3.The Remnants of TD 5, so 05L
Just curious.

My gut feeling, based upon satellite presentation, is that it will immediately be re-classifed as TD Five - possibly even before the LLC gets over the GOM. It's hard to pinpoint, but I think the LLC is just southwest of the AL/GA/FL tri-border, and moving south. Convection near that locaton is almost non-existent, but it's very impressive southwest of there in the Gulf. I've seen systems - including this one - with less convection call a tropical depression before.

There is no sound reasoning to call it 95L, since it is the exact same system that became TD 5.

--------------------
Hugh

mwillis
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Cape canaveral
      #88907 - Sun Aug 15 2010 01:22 PM

Does anyonne know if this looks like a new convestion center forming off gulf coast? Not sure if its just thunderstorm related or low pressure related. look at the right side of the radar, do u see the"circle" of thunderstorms?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LIX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Remnants of TD5 - Are the Models Wrong? [Re: mwillis]
      #88908 - Sun Aug 15 2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Does anyonne know if this looks like a new convestion center forming off gulf coast? Not sure if its just thunderstorm related or low pressure related. look at the right side of the radar, do u see the"circle" of thunderstorms?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LIX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Too far west to be a LLC forming - yet. It does show a very high cloudtop on the AVN loop at that spot, though.

--------------------
Hugh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center