F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Hermine Strengthens and Heads for the Rio Grande [Re: WesnWylie]
      #89440 - Mon Sep 06 2010 07:51 PM

I couldn't detect it, and looking at the Brownsville radar the eye has come to a dead stop for at least an hour. Since the steering currents are so weak, its going to be interesting to see what the direction of movement will be when Hermine starts to move again.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hermine Strengthens and Heads for the Rio Grande [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89441 - Mon Sep 06 2010 07:58 PM

appears to be a slow dirft to the NNW maybe less then 6kts? He's so close to closing off the eyewall on the west side... still seems there is some drier air that still mixing in there between rain bands close to the coc.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Hermine Strengthens and Heads for the Rio Grande [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89442 - Mon Sep 06 2010 08:36 PM Attachment (219 downloads)

Latest recon vortex msg was NNE of the previous one. Screenshot attached

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Edited by WeatherNut (Mon Sep 06 2010 08:36 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Hermine Strengthens and Heads for the Rio Grande [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #89443 - Mon Sep 06 2010 08:37 PM

After spinning her wheels for awhile, Hermine has definitely resumed a steady motion to the NNW. While the pressure hasn't been dropping rapidly, the organization of the system seems to be improving and the wind field has continued to consolidate, with the KBRO radar now indicating 70 kts to the immediate east of the center at around 5000 ft. It looks like the NE half of the eyewall could be pretty intense at landfall, if present trends continue.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: Hermine Strengthens and Heads for the Rio Grande [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #89445 - Mon Sep 06 2010 11:48 PM

Looks like the center of Hermine is going to pass just west of Brownsville. Radar still shows 70+ kt winds at 500-1000 ft above ground, so strong tropical storm force winds will be possible in that area and other areas just to the north and east of where the center passes.

Edit: A tornado warning was just issued for Cameron county, including the city of Brownsville, until 23:15 CDT.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Mon Sep 06 2010 11:51 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

#89447 - Tue Sep 07 2010 12:22 AM

The Brownsville METAR station recently reported sustained winds to 44 mph, with a gust to 69 mph at 2301 CDT. South Padre Island reported a wind gust to 67 mph.

Radar is now showing up to 80 kts at 500-1000 feet just to the north and east of the center, so there could still be some gusts approaching hurricane force along the track of the center, which should parallel the TX/MX border for the next couple of hours.

cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
      #89448 - Tue Sep 07 2010 12:45 AM

I'm here in South Padre tonight. For an inland tropical storm I can confirm that Hermine is packing a pretty impressive punch, even this distance from the very intense northwestern eyewall, which is now pushing forward almost like a midwestern squall line. South Padre has been experiencing not even the most intense of the outer rainbands, and we are getting regular gusts here above 40, with, as mentioned above, that gust to 67 (first I had heard of that, but from what I have been seeing, entirely believable). Harlingen airport sustained at 43 as I type. Beautiful tropical cyclone, but flooding is going to be a concern going forward, given its deep fetch of tropical moisture.

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Hermine Makes Landfall South of Brownsville, Texas [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89449 - Tue Sep 07 2010 02:51 AM

Hermine is clearly a tropical cyclone clamoring for R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Currently, fully five hours post-landfall, Hermine has just produced sustained winds inland near* Harlingen's Valley International Airport, while being whacked by the remnant eyewall, of 66mph gusting to 80. Reports coming in from the general Harlingen area of numerous trees down.

It appears that Hermine may have indeed been a little more intense heading into landfall, and after a while of a NNW to NW heading, veered more to the north, since, right as the coastline starts to bend inward, in concave fashion, giving Hermine a terrific lifeline, as much of the circulation has remained over water, as a result. Additionally, while the cyclone is very, very moist, some dry air entrainment from its north, northwest & west could well be intensifying some downdrafts.

Hermine could be one of those tropical cyclones that continues to produce areas of tropical storm force winds, at least in gusts, much farther inland than expected. Inland locations within Hermine's path not accustomed to tropical storms may want to take some precautions against exposure to these potentially strong winds (bringing in garbage cans, not parking under large branches, etc.). Still, the greatest threat with Hermine continues to be flooding.

*EDITED To reflect accuracy of this report. WeatherBug may have supplemented with a nearby, personal weather station, perhaps, at a time when the anemometer at Valley International Airport went offline. Will clarify once I know for sure. Nonetheless, WeatherBug was reporting a recorded sustained wind of 66 gusting to 80 in Harlingen at that time.

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

Edited by cieldumort (Wed Sep 08 2010 12:42 AM)

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Loc: Texas
Re: Hermine Makes Landfall South of Brownsville, Texas [Re: cieldumort]
      #89450 - Tue Sep 07 2010 08:02 PM

Hermine is still going strong. We're currently under a tornado warning - the tornado is expected to go just east of our house. Raining cats and dogs, so far we haven't lost any utilities including satellite.

Kinda snuck up on us. It's actually NW of Austin now.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Hermine Makes Landfall South of Brownsville, Texas [Re: cieldumort]
      #89454 - Wed Sep 08 2010 08:14 AM

Preliminary data from the NWS Brownsville Post Storm Hurricane report:
KHRL-HARLINGEN VALLEY INTL ARPT
26.22 -97.66 minimum pressure recorded 990.9mb Sept 07/0556Z
peak sustained wind from 120degrees at 051kts ( 58.7mph) 07/0559Z
peak wind gust from 130degrees at 063kts ( 72.5 mph) 07/0558Z

METAR OBSERVATIONS...
NOTE: ANEMOMETER HEIGHT IS 10 METERS AND WIND AVERAGING IS 2 MINUTES

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=PSHBRO&max=61

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hermine Makes Landfall South of Brownsville, Texas [Re: danielw]
      #89456 - Wed Sep 08 2010 11:23 AM

According to 11 am posting - - "Igor" is born - - very Low and very EAST

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19872

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center