F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Large Wave East of Caribbean Looking Better this Morning
      #90834 - Sat Jul 30 2011 06:37 AM

7:00AM EDT Update 01 August 2011
The first of August has arrived, and most attention in the Atlantic is on the wave east of the Caribbean, that did a split yesterday, but is now coming together. The eastern area from yesterday started to get its act together overnight, and now seems ready for a development run.

Because of the relatively large size of the wave, any development is expected to continue to be slow, but probably steady. Those in the Leeward islands will probably get Tropical Storm force winds and watches/warnings put up when the system gets classified (probably after recon, or by 11AM if the system continues to look good) Barbados would be the first to get the worst of it (the leading rain it got yesterday has disappeared to go back toward the main system)

The wave has a large shield from dry air in the near term, and shear is relatively light, so a steady increase of strength is expected, but not a fast increase because of the size of the area, at least in the near term.

The track gets a bit hairy, I think the models will continue shifting toward the west, at least today, and settle in over a western Hispaniola crossover, which could destroy the system (And probably brings floods Haiti if it does). Once it gets across, as a much weaker system, it will likley stay in the Bahamas, and the game of "when will it turn north" commences. (The most famous case of it for Central Florida was probably Hurricane Floyd). This system (91l)t will likely recurve, but it's too early to say when. Two wildcards are it misses the mountains of Hispaniola, or stays weak and continues further west toward Central America (The longer it does not develop the more the Central America case becomes likely). For more speculation, see the forecast lounge. For the real forecast see the National Hurricane Center when the first advisory comes out, likely today at 11 or later if the storm does not form. Recon is almost in the system right now.

Either way those in the Leewards will need to prepare for a Tropical Storm (if it can get organized enough for it before it reaches there), and the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico will want to watch local officials/media for what may occur there. And beyond is still really too soon to tell, it all depends on how far west the system is. It has not developed yet, so the models, position, and moment are all to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. In short really the entire Caribbean from the Leewards up and West, Bahamas, Florida to North Carolina should keep tabs just to see what is going on with the system. It's becoming less of a mess, but it still is just a wave so beware the hype.

5:30PM EDT Update 31 July 2011
The wave 91L is very elongated, and borderline two separate systems. Recon went in the system this afternoon but was unable to find a definite circulation center. It also had communications issues which limited the data coming back.

The National Hurricane Center issued a special Tropical Weather Outlook which includes the entire elongated area (including an oval shaped graphic)

Those in the northern windward and leeward islands should be watching this closely and treating it as a Tropical Storm.

Beyond this it gets very complicated because of the dual vortices, it really depends on where the eventual storm center forms. Models are close to useless in this scenario (pick between the west or east area, the results will be different either way.) While the system remains weak, it is likely to continue due west into the Caribbean.

In short anywhere west of this system needs to check back to see when (and if) this system (or systems) consolidate. This is a pretty unique situation and the models are showing trends if it were to organize (assuming the eastern most).

7AM EDT Update 31 July 2011
The wave east of the Caribbean, referred to as invest 91L, has been slowly organizing since yesterday and the NHC now has it as a 100% chance for development over the next 48 hours (Well as of 2AM). As of 7 AM, it still has not formed. It is likely when recon aircraft enters the area this afternoon it will be upgraded.

This wave is very large, and if it were a bit more spread out may have even been considered two areas, but since they were in close proximity, it's been a slow progression of organization. Those in parts of the Lesser Antilles may expect some sort of Tropical Storm Watch/Warning to be issued today. The system also has a slight bit of dry air intrusion, which will limit how fast strengthening could occur, at least in the next day or two.

Barbados is getting the first part of the rain this morning from the western edge of this broad area.

Model guidance has not been handling this large area well, with initializations (starting positions, and movement) not being very accurate as a generally westward motion has occurred since yesterday. This morning even though multiple guidance has been in fairly good agreement with each other through the first 2 days, it's been consistently off also, on initialization. You have to verify with real observations what the models are and are not doing, especially with weak, broad and large (or very small) systems. The models tend to do best with fairly well organized systems with a solid core (not titled, or sheared). This system is borderline two areas (which is why for Example the Euro/EWMCF model basically splits it), and very broad, and not a good candidate for early model tracking.

What this does is open up a great deal of possibilities once the storm enters the Caribbean, and puts Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, and the Virgin islands needing to watch this (Although it is possible for the system to stay south and enter deeper into the Caribbean, it is not currently the most likely scenario..) We're awaiting official advisories to comment more about this directly, in the meantime check out the Forecast Lounge for more speculation on what may happen, or post if you would like to take a shot at what may occur.

It is very possible because of the split nature of the system, that it may take longer to develop than was anticipated, or keep it from occurring. The "split" nature of this system is very interesting, will one element take over the other, will they literally split into two systems (ala Euro), or will it just keep the whole area weak. Right now, the western 'system' has the better convection but the eastern 'system' has the better circulation, but not a definite low level circulation center yet. Which likely means a generally westward motion for now.

Martinique Radar Recording 91L Approach (flhurricane)

Long term recording of 91L Floater Water Vapor Imagery (flhurricane)

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Elsewhere, the cape verde season seems to be starting to get going, as a rather well define wave has exited the African Coastline.

Original Update
Tropical Storm Don, or what little was left of it, made landfall around 9:30 last night, and in the process completely fell apart. Very little rain made it to South Texas, unfortunately.

For those in the northern Leeward islands of the Caribbean, the wave east of you, 91L, looks very likely to develop late today or tomorrow, and overall has a 70% chance for development within a 48 hour period. It appears Tropical Depression 5 or Emily may form later today. Current models are surprisingly aligned, which means the Leewards, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico will want to start thinking about preparations if needed.

What may keep it from organizing today is the fast forward motion, but either way the 70% chance for 48 hours seems quite reasonable.

Beyond this, they start to diverge in if it will collide with Hispaniola or miss to the north or south.

Since most speculation on storms before they develop is prone to hype we leave it off the main page, see the Forecast Lounge for more speculation on what may happen, or post if you would like to take a shot at what may occur.

Beyond this, as we enter August we start to enter the busier part of Hurricane season, especially late August. Things may be shaping up for a busy August, but unsure on where the pattern will take most of the systems.

StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

91L Event Related Links

float5latest.gif stormplotthumb_5.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2011&storm=5 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 91L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 91L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 91L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 91L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 91L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 91L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 91L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Wave East of Caribbean Likely to Develop Today or Tomorrow [Re: MikeC]
      #90837 - Sat Jul 30 2011 09:22 AM

i modified the title to read today or tomorrow for development, Today seems a bit less likely because of the forward motion of the system. It's racing, may be too fast for the convection to really stick with it, so chances are still high for development in 48 hours, just not so much today. Still it could reach depression today, but not Storm level.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #90838 - Sat Jul 30 2011 09:29 AM

Buoy 41041 is located near 14.1N/ 46.0W and is the closest buoy to 91L. ( It's actually the first buoy that tropical waves encounter after leaving the Coast of Africa.)

41041 should be located within 91L's western periphery and latest data indicates the pressure is falling and the wind speeds are up in the 20 kt range gusting to near 30 kts. Pressure is still on a diurnal cycle but is lower than it has been in the last 5 days.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41041

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Caribbean.shtml

Next Buoy to watch is 41040 at 14.4N/ 53.0 W.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41040&unit=E&tz=STN

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

#90843 - Sat Jul 30 2011 02:23 PM

As of 2:05pm update there is an 80% probability posted regarding 91L.

It is way too early to assess what impacts this would have on interests at home, but for the Islands ..particularly the Leewards, it would be wise to cover this feature closely. The deep layer analysis shows only minor packages of shear and a generalize deep layer easterly flow during a positive phase of Atlantic subtropical ridge strength. There is also the appearance of a developing U/A anticyclone in the vicinity of 91L. These observations, in general, should provide for a favorable intensification arena for 91L.

One note, 91L is above normal in circulation mass. These types of large systems tend to develop at a slower rate.

danielwAdministrator

Re: Wave East of Caribbean Likely to Develop Today or Tomorrow [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #90844 - Sat Jul 30 2011 11:09 PM

As Tip noted in the post above. Large systems such as 91L take a bit more time to consolidate and or spin up.
91L covers a large area of the Atlantic Ocean at present. While it's being limited by Saharan Dust to the north and dry air to the west it is retaining it's size.

Current satellite imagery shows that 91L extends from 41W to 56W and from 6N to 18 N. This system's cloud cover could possibly encompass the whole Lesser Antilles Island Group from north to south, at some point in the next three days.
Note: the 31 July 0245Z water vapor image indicates there may be some dry air ingestion on the NW Quadrant of the system. That could put a huge dent in the system.As we saw yesterday with Tropical Storm Don.

Interests in the Lesser Antilles, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and westward should pay close attention to this system.

Recon is scheduled to Investigate the system on Sunday Afternoon.

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 30 2011 11:24 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Wave East of Caribbean Likely to Develop Today or Tomorrow [Re: danielw]
      #90846 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:35 AM

I don't know. I don't think it's just the forward speed, I've seen many a system develop at that speed. I think there is a bit too much dry air, the SIZE of the system is a BIG factor and the water temps should be a bit better very soon. Just with a system this size, there are more factors.

Then again, what I do like is that the structure has maintained itself despite the fast forward speed.

I'm wondering on the models if they turn to the north is based on environmental factors (enjoy the post in the other thread) or an expectation of a stronger system.

Will see but either way it's an impressive system to watch for this time of year or in general.

Haven't checked but don't think dust is a factor but there could be some dust I think.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Wave East of Caribbean Likely to Develop Today or Tomorrow [Re: LoisCane]
      #90849 - Sun Jul 31 2011 07:36 AM

I've added these two recordings:

Martinique Radar Recording 91L Approach (flhurricane)

Long term recording of 91L Floater Water Vapor Imagery (flhurricane)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#90850 - Sun Jul 31 2011 07:55 AM

A few days ago a hot tower briefly popped up in Don, but there was too much shear to sustain it, I wanted to mention Towers in the Tempest from NASA, which has several photographs and a few movies detailing the TRIM satellite and what Hot Towers are, and what they indicate for strengthening.

danielwAdministrator

#90853 - Sun Jul 31 2011 10:44 AM

It looks like the Buoy 41101 just missed one of 91L's centers.

data courtesy of Meteo France

It appears that there is a surface circulation located near 12N/ 57W. Or just to the east of Barbados. Slightly sheared from the south. The lower cloud circulation is visible just prior to the Sun passing overhead and wiping out the surface sue to sun glint. The circular motion can been seen in the lower portion of the photo below.

edit~danielw: To eliminate confusion. There appear to be 2 slightly separated surface circulations associated with 91L. I'll call them Left and Right as suggested.
The IR photo above is of 91L- Left or the western most circulation. In the bottom portion of the photo, a grey semicircle can be seen. This is drier air and is being injected into the western side of the main 91L system, or 91L- Right

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 31 2011 10:59 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: MikeC]
      #90855 - Sun Jul 31 2011 11:40 AM

The recon plane is on it's way from Saint Croix now.

danielwAdministrator

#90857 - Sun Jul 31 2011 12:20 PM

It appears that Recon is headed to intercept the left system, or the one closest to Barbados.
They have just crossed the Lesser Antilles Island of Guadeloupe.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: danielw]
      #90858 - Sun Jul 31 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

It appears that Recon is headed to intercept the left system, or the one closest to Barbados.
They have just crossed the Lesser Antilles Island of Guadeloupe.

Is it possible that both halves on 91L have closed LLCs? That almost appears to be the case looking at the visible loop of 91L on SSD. Could 91L become two TDs? (I don't think it's likely since the two halves are so close together but they appear to be separating over time)

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

danielwAdministrator

Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: Hugh]
      #90859 - Sun Jul 31 2011 12:44 PM

Two systems would explain the split in the models.

Fujiwhara effect.
Western system goes across the islands toward Hispaniola, and the spin from West turns East system toward the NW across the Virgin Islands and north of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: danielw]
      #90860 - Sun Jul 31 2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Two systems would explain the split in the models.

Fujiwhara effect.
Western system goes across the islands toward Hispaniola, and the spin from West turns East system toward the NW across the Virgin Islands and north of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Fujiwhara effect. I've seen two systems develop simultaneously in the Atlantic before (it's been many years), but I don't remember them ever being this close together. It does explain the model divergence, though.

So much for a peaceful season...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: Hugh]
      #90861 - Sun Jul 31 2011 12:59 PM

From the Puerto Rico Discussion:

Quote:

As far as the tropics go...a wind surge has detached a portion of
what once thought to be part of the tropical wave. Now the
tropical wave being observed for development is behind this surge.
However...this surge ahead of the wave seems to have deeper
convection than the wave itself.

Buoy 41040 has reported sustained winds of 29 mph ...gusts
around 34 mph and seas close to 12 ft. This data was recorded as
the detached portion of the wave went through the buoy.
Also...buoy 41101 east of martinique has reported similar values
with a max sustained wind of 26 mph and gust of 30 mph with seas
of around 10 ft.

The actual system that could be categorized as a depression later
today seems to be struggling a bit with its organization.
However...as it gets closer to our area...it will be over more
favorable environment for development and the national hurricane
center stated that it could become a tropical depression any time
now. We will know more with the reconnaissance aircraft data later
this afternoon. Latest guidance continues to track the tropical cyclone
very close to our area...maybe slightly north on the 12Z run than
the 06Z run. The 12Z run however has several models tracking the
cyclone just over puerto rico...with the center of circulation
making landfall around ponce and exiting through aguadilla...with
an intensity of a strong tropical storm or a weaker hurricane.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
      #90862 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:19 PM

Are you guys referring to the piece of energy heading toward the Windward Islands, to the west of 91L? There is quite a bit of showers and storms associated with this feature. It remains in lighter shear; however, dry air lies ahead.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #90863 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:19 PM

12Z NOGAPS actually develops the western wave near 58.5W over the anticipated stronger low
near 53W

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#90864 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:27 PM

Recon either stopped transmitting the usual high density or the usual systems for transmitting it through the NWS have failed, either way kind of odd.

edit: Just started coming back, but it looks like a few were skipped, must have been a retransmission issue.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#90865 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Recon either stopped transmitting the usual high density or the usual systems for transmitting it through the NWS have failed, either way kind of odd.

Someone WU blog says it's back now.

--------------------
Hugh

danielwAdministrator

Re: Large Wave East of Caribbean Slowly Organizing [Re: WesnWylie]
      #90866 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Are you guys referring to the piece of energy heading toward the Windward Islands, to the west of 91L? There is quite a bit of showers and storms associated with this feature. It remains in lighter shear; however, dry air lies ahead.

For those just joining the thread. There appear to be two separate circulations just east of the Lesser Antilles.
West or right circulation is about 60 miles NE of Barbados.
East or left circulation is about 400 miles east of the Lesser Antilles and is referred to as 91L by NHC.
Recon is currently enroute to 91L or the eastern of the two circulations.

Another new circulation has just moved off of the African Coast and has not been designated or numbered.

Recon first wind direction shift at 14.4N/ 55.9W. Wind shifted from ENE to ESE. Could be a shear line or the outer fringes of circulation. This was at 13,000 feet. Still inbound toward 91L-East or right.

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 31 2011 01:54 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23504

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center