F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Emily [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #91020 - Tue Aug 02 2011 10:47 PM

No, generally speaking you've got it right. I'm guessing that the thinking is that by the time that Emily leaves Hispaniola, even a weaker system would still be influenced enough by the trough to pull it northward, although my inclination with a weaker system would be to add a little more of a westerly component to that northerly motion.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joeyfl
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: St.Pete,FL
Re: Emily [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #91022 - Tue Aug 02 2011 11:17 PM

Nam has done 180 now bringing it into south FL 12Z Sat. Be interesting to see if others follow suite tonight...

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Emily Heads For ?? [Re: Joeyfl]
      #91023 - Wed Aug 03 2011 01:04 AM

The GFS now takes Emily further to the east. Of far more interest is that the movement in the past 6 hours has been just about due west at 12 knots. Water vapor indicates about 9 degrees of separation between the base of the trough and the center of the tropical storm - and that is still quite a bit. The trough may dig a little further south, but not much. The NHC forecast places the center of Emily onshore the Dominican Republic in about 19 hours - which is going to be a bit of a stretch if the western motion continues tonight.
ED

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Emily Heads For ?? [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #91024 - Wed Aug 03 2011 01:08 AM

good point on degrees of separation...

as for the turn being sharp it would have to make a sharp turn ala Cleo if the western movement doesn't stop

something... doesn't jive on the timing and i think the models moving around reflect that there is a problem

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Emily Heads For ?? [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #91025 - Wed Aug 03 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

The GFS now takes Emily further to the east. Of far more interest is that the movement in the past 6 hours has been just about due west at 12 knots. Water vapor indicates about 9 degrees of separation between the base of the trough and the center of the tropical storm - and that is still quite a bit. The trough may dig a little further south, but not much. The NHC forecast places the center of Emily onshore the Dominican Republic in about 19 hours - which is going to be a bit of a stretch if the western motion continues tonight.
ED

0z GFS is slightly west and slower of the 18Z or even though 12Z GFS.

Be interesting how far west this gets. I still say the main factor will be where it
makes landfall in Hispaniola.. if it can get past 71.5W on the Haiti side.. then
it will be further west in days 3-4 and might make 80W. Short term movement
over the next 24hrs will be key.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 29019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center