F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2013 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hawkeyewx
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sun
Re: Tropical Storm Gabrielle [Re: Random Chaos]
      #94757 - Thu Sep 05 2013 10:32 AM

This system is completely decoupled now with the mid-level vort and all the convection east of Puerto Rico and the weak surface vort sw of PR headed toward eastern DR... so it is definitely not a tropical storm. I question whether it should have been named in the first place given the lack of organization from the get-go.

It's a very odd hurricane season. We are at the peak of the season, but disturbances continue to struggle just to reach minimal tropical storm and remain there for more than a day.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Tropical Storm Gabrielle South of Puerto Rico [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #94758 - Thu Sep 05 2013 11:15 AM

With the advantage of visible satellite this morning we can see what is most likely Gabrielle's original LLC trecking off to the WNW, with the mid-level vort proceeding more northerly, perhaps even with an eastward component.

I have no doubt that Gabrielle was a bona fide tropical cyclone, but if a new LLC does not develop much closer to the mid-level vort, and soon, Gabrielle the tropical cyclone may end up having been very short lived.

With all of the dry air around, in some ways this year has reminded me of 2006, although that is perhaps not the best analog. For example, even 2006 had its first hurricane form before September. Being the first week of September without a single hurricane yet this season may allow for the year as a whole to attain as many named storms as widely expected, but creates a challenge of giant proportions for the year to end up with as many hurricanes as forecast.

Now that Garbrielle has decoupled, it appears that the separate area of disturbed weather to her northeast is successfully siphoning off convection, and enhancing its mid to lower level vorticity. While it could be difficult given close proximity, there is clearly an increasing chance that this other disturbance eventually becomes a new tropical cyclone that persists in disrupting Gabrielle, possibly to the point of replacing her as the sole TC in that immediate region.

At present, a new LLC will probably attempt to form underneath the deeper convection hanging with the MLC, but for any new LLC to become established, the old LLC needs to continue scooting out of the way, and the fairly large and well organized cyclonic envelop associated with it would then need to start falling apart at at good clip.

An alternative, but perhaps somewhat less likely solution where Gabrielle could stay alive, would be that no new LLC forms closer to or within the detatched mid level vort, with her now nearly naked LLC to continuing west-northwest, just over the DR or through the archipelago, slowly firing up all new organized convection along the way, or at least at some point in the future.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
TD Gabrielle and 99L [Re: cieldumort]
      #94759 - Thu Sep 05 2013 02:14 PM

Gabrielle has decoupled and is moving nw over Hispaniola.

RECON is enroute to INVEST 99L in the SW GOM.

Very strange season so far. By the way Duluth,MN had 43 degrees this morning while at the same time it was snowing on the SE side of Hudson Bay,Canada

Weird

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: TD Gabrielle and 99L [Re: danielw]
      #94760 - Fri Sep 06 2013 12:26 AM

It has weakened to a remnant low. Nothing organized left, though still a lot of rain coming out of the system. Flash Flood warning up for St John and St Thomas currently.

Very strange season.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14350

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center