Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 42 (Nate) , Major: 60 (Maria) Florida - Any: 70 (Irma) Major: 70 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2016 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: gsand]
      #97210 - Tue Oct 04 2016 11:30 AM

Land disrupted the eyewall pressure jumps up to 950mb, it'll probably weaken by next advisory, and get back together over the Bahamas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida 28.00N 81.90W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: MikeC]
      #97211 - Tue Oct 04 2016 11:44 AM

Although the NHC didn't mention it in their discussion, it looks to me as though the track has shifted a wee bit east of where it was at 5am. Is anyone else seeing this change or did I miss something in the discussion? Thank you.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: Colleen A.]
      #97213 - Tue Oct 04 2016 11:54 AM

Yeah, not a lot though Colleen. Biggest thing is the winds came up from 120 to 130 offshore near my latitude. Ugh.

gsand
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Palm Bay, FL 28.00N 80.38W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: Colleen A.]
      #97214 - Tue Oct 04 2016 12:01 PM

Agreed. Looking at interactive cone advisory #25A had the western edge west of Lakeland, #26 has it just west of Disney. Also looks like they have increased his forward speed a bit.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hazel 1954 Camille 1969 Agnes 1972 Bob 1991
Charley 2004 Frances 2004 Jeanne 2004 Matthew 2016
2017 Forecast- 12/5/2

Kraig
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jupiter, Fl 26.90N 80.22W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: MikeC]
      #97215 - Tue Oct 04 2016 12:15 PM

Looks like the eastern eyewall took a direct hit on the 7,000' peak in Haiti. Eye completely filled in and may see some erratic movement over the next few hours.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/14L/flash-rb-long.html

--------------------
--------------------------------
2017 forecast 10/6/2

South FL Native and experienced: David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Irene ('99) - Charlie, Frances & Jeanne ('04) - Wilma ('05) and Matthew ('16)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: Kraig]
      #97217 - Tue Oct 04 2016 12:37 PM

Track really didn't shift until past 3 days (toward carolina) it's just the plot points are different 6 hour intervals. It's actually on the east side of most of the model guidance right now.

Added Guantanamo Bay radar recording: http://flhurricane.com/imageanimator.php?231

The radar shows Haiti did not disrupt the storm too much, it knocked pressures up but the structure of the eye remains intact.

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Georgia Tech 33.78N 84.40W
      #97225 - Tue Oct 04 2016 02:43 PM

The last two recon vortex messages showed a 2 MB drop over that hour (from 951 to 949 MB). Matthew's motion tappears to be just a hair East of due north. (as noted in the 2PM update)

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2018.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: Bloodstar]
      #97228 - Tue Oct 04 2016 02:52 PM

Hurricane force winds have expanded to near 60 miles from 25 miles a few days ago.

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
      #97234 - Tue Oct 04 2016 04:08 PM Attachment (136 downloads)

Governor Haley just announced evacuations for coastal communities in South Carolina:

http://www.wltx.com/weather/forecast/tra...gency/328935898

I'm on Hilton Head Island...Skull Creek Marina. While it's starting to look pretty hairy, I'll be lashing down S/V Meridian and getting a bug-out bag ready. We're on the NorthWest side of the island, so we're mostly protected by the island itself for any runs coming up from the South, or in from the East.

Storm surge looks worrisome...

---
Anton

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
      #97237 - Tue Oct 04 2016 04:27 PM

Most recent operational run of the gold standard ECMWF has shifted perilously west for Florida.

Further up the coast, this model now calls for a quirky but plausible interaction with newly-named Nicole.

From Bryan Norcross

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida 28.00N 81.90W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: cieldumort]
      #97245 - Tue Oct 04 2016 05:52 PM

Bryan Norcross doesn't play around. I could not believe when I went into my volunteer job today that almost 90% of the people there did not know that this was a threat to our eastern coast of Florida and that Hurricane watches had been put up at 11:00am. I encouraged them to please pay attention and prepare themselves. I heard a lot of "the black line shows it offshore". I told them not to pay attention to the black line, pay attention to the CONE. I stopped at Winn Dixie on the way home and the lines were incredible.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Hawkeyewx
Weather Analyst

#97251 - Tue Oct 04 2016 08:20 PM

Recon isn't finding anything remotely close to 140 mph at flight level, let alone the surface.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat [Re: TheElNino1]
      #97257 - Tue Oct 04 2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

This post has been removed. The posted Vortex message was of East Pacific Newton from earlier this year, and not of Matthew.

Yeah you had me almost cheering until I realized that. Either way it is filling in some, moving slower, I think up slope on the west side is disrupting it some, unfortunately I think it'll recover. I think it'll get knocked down to a 3 or even 2 out of this, but recover tomorrow. Land interactions have the habit of changing the structure of a storm, though, and that's a bit unpredictable could make for a larger size wind field or shrink it, really a wildcard.

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching E. Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat Increases [Re: MikeC]
      #97268 - Wed Oct 05 2016 12:40 AM

The center of Matthew has exited Cuba, but took a bit of a scenic route and spent a little more time over land while heading a touch west of north, which has brought the intensity down a notch, but the eye is intact and restrengthening looks like the most baseline scenario overnight into tomorrow.

Transmitted: 5th day of the month at 4:15Z
Observation Number: 19
A. Time of Center Fix: 5th day of the month at 3:52:10Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 20°23'N 74°23'W (20.3833N 74.3833W)
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 91kts (~ 104.7mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 12 nautical miles (14 statute miles) to the NW (308°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 960mb (28.35 inHg)
L. Eye Character: Closed
M. Eye Shape: Elliptical (oval shaped)
M. Orientation of Major Axis in Elliptical Eye: 30° to 210° (NNE to SSW)
M. Length of Major Axis in Elliptical Eye: 32 nautical miles (37 statute miles)
M. Length of Minor Axis in Elliptical Eye: 16 nautical miles (18 statute miles)
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind and Pressure

Remarks Section:
Maximum Outbound and Flight Level Wind: 118kts (~ 135.8mph) which was observed 16 nautical miles (18 statute miles) to the NE (52°) from the flight level center at 3:57:00Z

SpeedwayCocoa

Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching E. Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat Increases [Re: cieldumort]
      #97274 - Wed Oct 05 2016 06:18 AM

Jim C. just said that the eyes wall wasn't present after leaving Cuba.... So is Matthew going to to start to fall apart? Pressure is up, winds are down. Right now the news is doing there job "SELLING the NEWS" Nothing makes me more upset than to watch these news people go over the same routine over and over again.
They are still claiming Cat3 or 4 when it's off the coast of Central FL. Sounds like hooey to me. The storm doesn't have that beautiful presentation that it had 2 days ago. There will have to be a whole lot of Disney Magic to return the storm to where it was 2 days ago.
Sorry for the vent, I just hate to be SOLD the weather.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching E. Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat Increases [Re: SpeedwayCocoa]
      #97276 - Wed Oct 05 2016 06:32 AM

Hooey? It is a strong Category 3 right now and clear of land. It is in a terrific hurricane environment over very warm waters. No reason for it to weaken any more and plenty of reason for it to strengthen. It would be a mistake to expect that it is going to weaken.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland 38.98N 76.50W
Re: Hurricane Matthew Approaching E. Cuba, Bahamas, Florida Threat Increases [Re: SpeedwayCocoa]
      #97282 - Wed Oct 05 2016 07:09 AM

It is still a strong category 3. Recon is almost into the storm, but yes, the eye was severely damaged by passage over Cuba. Microwave imagery also shows significant damage to the eye.

In the last couple IR frames, you can see the eye starting to reform, and on the FAA radar out of Guantanamo Bay we can clearly see the eye wrapping again.

Several hour old microwave showing the damage to the eye:

Radar image showing the eye quickly reforming:

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center