F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Mike V
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Hurricane Prep List
      #100134 - Wed Aug 28 2019 03:17 PM Attachment (589 downloads)

This is a list that I put together many years ago after Andrew. Being a life long Floridian I have experienced my share of storms and thought I had my preparation pretty well thought out till Andrew. This list is a result of changes that I and many people suggested and have implemented to make the preparation process easier and not as financially draining. I'll also include it as an attachment if you wish to download.

Good Luck.

Hello everyone:

Well, here we go again, the start of another hurricane season. I wanted to put this list together and would hope the site admin will make this a sticky. I learned a few things after Andrew that I did not have prepared and has to go through the hassle of getting some of the items on this list. The idea here is that you can stock up during the early part of the season for all these items and you'll be good to go when it hits.

Many of us that live in the tropics do not seem to bother to get ready for the season until a storm starts to approach and then watch out! The idea here is to get yourself ready without breaking the bank so here goes:

1. Food: If you are not going to evacuate, then plan on stocking up on canned goods for at least two weeks worth for your family. Take an inventory now of what you need to buy and in not to break the bank, the way to do this:

Starting today, every time that you go to the grocery store, purchase a few of the items on that list. If you go to the store every week, by the time the height of the season hits you will be all set.

Items to get: Foods that do not require refrigeration.

2. Prescriptions: Make sure you have a supply of any prescribed meds available. These may be hard to get after a storm.

3. Water: I never understood why people go out and buy water when there is an easier method. Start to save all the plastic milk jugs and juice jugs that you get with your regular groceries and wash them out when you have finished and store them. When you are threatened by a storm, now is the time to fill the jugs up with your tap water (assuming it is fit to drink), and you don't have to go buy water!

4. Batteries: Same rule as food. Start to buy a pack every time you go to the store till you have enough for your needs.

5. Candles/Kerosene Lamps: Take stock and replenish during one of your grocery outings. Get fuel for the lamps if needed

6. Ice: If you have a freezer or an extra fridge, throw a bag or two of ice in it. Helps to keep things cool when the power goes out, and until you can get your generator going or more ice supplies. You can also take a couple of your gallon jugs of water and freeze those. Cold water and ice to keep the coolers cool.

7. Documentation: Get a hold of your deed, your insurance for the house and cars, place them in a re-sealable baggie and place those in a case or box to take with you should you have to evacuate. Now is the time to review your insurance and change any coverages as needed. When a storm goes in the "BOX" your insurance is frozen and no changes can be made. The idea is to make a bug out bag if you need it.

8. Evacuation plan: If you have to evacuate, make a plan now. Get your contact list together and decide where you will marshal together if your family is separated and you need to evacuate.

9. Fuel containers for the generator, chain saw/propane: If you have them, good for you, if you don't get them now. As for propane, fill your tanks, as sources can get hard to find after a major storm. For the two cycle equipment, make sure you have enough oil for them and container(s) to keep the fuel in.

10. Generators: Now is a good time to take them out of the shed/garage and fire them up to make sure they work. Make sure the oil is fresh and they are ready to go should you need it.

11. Vehicles: Now is also a good time to have your vehicles serviced to be ready to bug out if needed.

12. House preparations: Make sure you can easily get to your shutters and it would be a good idea to test fit a few of them. To this I would ad a role of visqueen to cover furniture etc, several rolls of tape (I prefer duct tape).

13. For the pets: Food for them, water should be taken care of with the jugs.

14. Bug spray: yes the beasties will be out in full force, so a good bug spray is recommended.

15. Weapons and ammunition: Make sure you have your weapons clean, and in readily available, and a supply of ammo. Looters are an issue after a major storm and nothing will stop them from bothering you, till they see that you are armed and ready.

If anyone else can think of things to add to this list, please do so!

Mike Vidal

Weather Safety Emergency Checklist
Be ready for a weather emergency in advance and put together a basic survival kit.

Food Items:
Bottled drinking water
Bread
Crackers
Cookies, snacks
Canned fruit
Canned meat, fish
Apples, bananas
Dried fruit
Canned/boxed beverages
Fruit drinks
Peanut butter

Non-Food Items:
Ice
Coolers
Plastic forks and cups
Napkins
Can opener (non-electric)
Batteries for flashlights and radio
Plastic trash bags
Charcoal
Water purifying tablets
Flashlights
Candles and matches
Clothing and bedding
Extra socks and underwear
Pillows
Sleeping bag and blankets
Washcloth and towel for each person
Soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste
Deodorant
Shaving kit
Contact lens solution
Hair care items and mirror
Dentures
Sanitary napkins and tampons
Paper towels, toilet paper
Hearing aid batteries
Watch or clock
Portable radio with fresh batteries
Chlorine tablets
Spare pair of eyeglasses
Cash
Prescription medicines
Important papers (drivers licenses, insurance policies, social security cards)
Toolbox with hammer, nails, screws, screwdrivers and wrenches (to use after the storm to make your home livable again)
Cell phone (take an extra battery or a means to power or charge it)
list of people to contact for emergencies

First Aid Kit:
Keep contents of first aid kit in a waterproof metal or plastic box.

Prescription medicines (four-week supply)
Bandages and Band-Aids
Antiseptic
Adhesive tape rolls
Aspirin
Sun-screen
Insect repellent
First aid handbook
Scissors
Antibacterial soap
Safety pins
Thermometer
Needle (for splinters)
Items for Infants:

Small toys include favorite stuffed animals
Clothes
Diapers and baby wipes
Milk or formula
Powders, creams or ointments
Bottles and nipples
Baby food
Sheets, blankets, rubber pads
Portable crib
Plastic bags
Pacifiers

--------------------
Donna, Betsy, Cleo, George, Floyd, David, ANDREW (Eye wall adventure), Wilma, Katrina, Irma, Ian flood adventure.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kspkap
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Mike V]
      #100139 - Wed Aug 28 2019 04:30 PM

I also lived through Donna (1960) plus Charlie, Jean and Francis so the following should be added to your list. I posted in the Doreen Prep thread an alert on how to take care of a frost free refrigerator when power is lost.

To your list:
For those who are dependent on a well for water please buy a generator to keep the well running after the storm and power hasn’t been restored. Without a power source you won’t have water for flushing toilets. If you do have a portable generator and are able to shelter it (never, ever in your house or attached garage!) keep it running so you don’t lose the well prime.

If no generator buy at least 2 - 3 large garbage cans. We didn’t have a generator until after Charlie, but we were prepared by doing the following. Place 1 in each bathroom filled with water. Have a small bucket handy to dip water for flushing. Remove the tank lid and set it aside. Fill the toilet tank and presto...flush! Better than dumping water into the bowl and splashing! Fill another garbage can to the brim for sink bathing, water for pets, etc. After the storms we set up our Coleman stove on the porch to heat water for the sink bathing. Of course we had bottled water if needed for cooking. With the heat and humidity at its worst after a storm who wants to cook? And for those who are prone to have migraines....get ready as you are going to have 24/7 migraines due to the low barometer!

BTW, a 5500 watt generator will power a well, a few lights, a fan and a refrigerator. Just watch your usage and don’t try to power too many things at the same time with a 5500 watt. The well is the most important item. We also had battery operated camp lighting and battery operated hand held fans. A 5” battery operated tv saved my husband’s sanity!

--------------------
Donna-1960, Charley-2004, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Issac-2012, Zeta-2020

Mike V
Weather Watcher

Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: kspkap]
      #100140 - Wed Aug 28 2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

I also lived through Donna (1960) plus Charlie, Jean and Francis so the following should be added to your list. I posted in the Doreen Prep thread an alert on how to take care of a frost free refrigerator when power is lost.

To your list:

BTW, a 5500 watt generator will power a well, a few lights, a fan and a refrigerator. Just watch your usage and don’t try to power too many things at the same time with a 5500 watt. The well is the most important item. We also had battery-operated camp lighting and battery operated hand held fans. A 5” battery operated tv saved my husband’s sanity!

I can relate. I was 30 days without power after Andrew. I ended up getting a generator brought in by my neighbors' parents that got it in VA. I have since purchased a bigger generator (8500 watts) and I can run the house on it and a portable A/C to keep one room cool for sleeping. Since this house does not have gas, I have to take cold showers as the unit cannot handle the load of the instant water heater. That is how I lived for 9 days after Irma with no power, cold showers, but at least I could sleep with A/C.

Mike V

--------------------
Donna, Betsy, Cleo, George, Floyd, David, ANDREW (Eye wall adventure), Wilma, Katrina, Irma, Ian flood adventure.

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
      #100147 - Wed Aug 28 2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To your list:

BTW, a 5500 watt generator will power a well, a few lights, a fan and a refrigerator. Just watch your usage and don’t try to power too many things at the same time with a 5500 watt. The well is the most important item. We also had battery-operated camp lighting and battery operated hand held fans. A 5” battery operated tv saved my husband’s sanity!

I can relate. I was 30 days without power after Andrew. I ended up getting a generator brought in by my neighbors' parents that got it in VA. I have since purchased a bigger generator (8500 watts) and I can run the house on it and a portable A/C to keep one room cool for sleeping. Since this house does not have gas, I have to take cold showers as the unit cannot handle the load of the instant water heater. That is how I lived for 9 days after Irma with no power, cold showers, but at least I could sleep with A/C.

Mike V

I have a 6500 watt and the during Irma power outage we were able to run the Hot water heater if we turned everything off then switched back when the heater was recharged. 8500 watt should have no problem.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

kspkap
Weather Watcher

#100160 - Thu Aug 29 2019 12:16 AM

I failed to mention I did purchase a portable AC to keep the Master Bedroom cool. After Charlie I decided to live in the bedroom! I had a flushing toilet, sinks, a small can cooler which ran off the portable DC power unit I purchased and kept charged, the AC....what more could I want? Maybe...sanity...

I do hope you folks in my home state of Florida are starting to prepare. I’m from St. Cloud and the models are converging for a possible Central Florida landfall. If Dorian makes it to the Gulf then I’ll be in your shoes as I now live across the street from the Gulf in Mississippi.

--------------------

Marknole
Weather Watcher

Loc: Wacissa, FL
      #100165 - Thu Aug 29 2019 05:03 AM

Wanted to add something I read before Irma...and it helped a lot after Michael. For those without a generator, a battery-operated fan and spray bottle for misting can provide a little relief from the post-storm heat.

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Marknole]
      #100167 - Thu Aug 29 2019 08:27 AM

Good list, I would take off candles and kerosene lamps unless you decide to use them on the patio or while you are outdoors. We learned pretty quickly many years ago after Andrew that the heat becomes oppressive with either one of those lit in the house.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Clermont, Fl
Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Owlguin]
      #100169 - Thu Aug 29 2019 09:32 AM

In order to avoid cold showers, I purchased a Coleman 5 Gallon solar camp shower. Works very well. Can either heat the water via the sun or boil some on a camp stove....or grill. Just went and got propane for my generator at ACE Hardware....15 people showed up behind me.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Ed G]
      #100187 - Thu Aug 29 2019 02:46 PM

Question on frequency of running generator. This is the 1st year I purchased a generator and had the house wired with a transfer switch. When power goes off, I plan on running the generator all night to power a portable A/C. During the day, how often should the generator be run to keep the fridge and its freezer as is?

Mike V
Weather Watcher

#100194 - Thu Aug 29 2019 04:58 PM

Ed:

Quote:

Question on frequency of running generator. This is the 1st year I purchased a generator and had the house wired with a transfer switch. When power goes off, I plan on running the generator all night to power a portable A/C. During the day, how often should the generator be run to keep the fridge and its freezer as is?

I run mine 24/7 with the exception of a break ever 48 hours to change the oil. This is around a 1 hour break for the generator to cool down and then change the oil. Depending on the size of the generator, 5 gallons of gas will last between 10 and 12 hours depending on the load. Problem with refrigerators is that with no A/C on in the house, they tend to start getting warm fast.

I have a house built in 48 so there is very little insulation in the walls, and only around R-19 in the ceiling so it tends to get a bit warm. After Irma I ran the generator for 9 days using the schedule above. House never got cooler than 85 at night and it was in the low 90's in the daytime. The only refuge was the master bedroom where we had the portable A/C.

Mike V.

--------------------

kspkap
Weather Watcher

#100198 - Thu Aug 29 2019 05:39 PM

You cannot run a portable generator exposed to the storm! They have to be sheltered. NOT in the house or an attached garage. If sheltered in a storage shed you can use a weather proof contractor’s 10 gauge extension cord, but there are limitations on length and the volts needed...such as a well which is run on 220 v.

Some info:

https://www.reviewsworthy.net/portable-g...-to-select-them

https://www.familyhandyman.com/diy-advice/10-tips-for-using-a-generator/

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/stories/15-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Power-Cord.html

Just remember: After power is restored don’t store the generator with gasoline remaining in the thing...empty it or you may have trouble getting it started again.

--------------------

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

#100220 - Fri Aug 30 2019 05:17 AM

My generator will not be used and will remain in the garage until after the storm passes...at which point it will go into a garden shed in my back yard. The generator has a 50 foot, 10 gauge, 4 prong, NEMA rated extension, and is plugged into receptacle mounted to the back of my house. The receptacle is wired with 8 gauge to the 6 circuit transfer switch. The transfer switch is mounted in my garage next to the circuit breaker panel. All 6 circuits are 120.

I have read that in order to keep the fridge cool, one only needs to power up the fridge for an hour at different time intervals. I'm just curious if anyone knows what intervals work the best. Every 4 Hours. 6, 8 ?

It's a really nice generator - a Westinghouse WGen9500. Runs on gasoline or propane. 7500 running watts. Has a remote! I can start the generator from inside the house. I will only use gasoline as a last resort.

Edited by Ed G (Fri Aug 30 2019 05:47 AM)

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL
      #100228 - Fri Aug 30 2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

I have read that in order to keep the fridge cool, one only needs to power up the fridge for an hour at different time intervals. I'm just curious if anyone knows what intervals work the best. Every 4 Hours. 6, 8 ?

It would depend on how much it is open when power is off. Once it is not cold anymore it can take 24 hours running to get it back to where it should be. So maybe never open it unless you are running its power at the time. Freeze some ice packs in the freezer, and put them into the fridge as soon as you lose power, and just open the door quick enough the throw them in at the top so the cold air will sink to the bottom.

Items you may want to have available, such as milk, half-n-half, cheese, juice, BEER, put into a cooler with ice so you won't be opening the fridge door every 15 minutes to get something.

Eggs are actually OK at room temperature as long as the shells are not cracked.

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Prospero]
      #100229 - Fri Aug 30 2019 09:32 AM

Ice, cooler - BEER. Check!

Thx

Prospero
Storm Tracker

#100232 - Fri Aug 30 2019 10:01 AM

We are buying ice today. After Irma and we lost power, we went to get ice and the entire Pinellas County was sold out. We ended up buying frozen vegetables from Publix to keep a few things cool. My wife's insulin for one.

Lesson learned.

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Hurricane Prep List [Re: Prospero]
      #100233 - Fri Aug 30 2019 10:33 AM

anybody in Clermont going to board up the house? I'm rather surprised I haven't seen any activity regarding that.

Hi Ed, please put all future Dorian-specific prep Q&A in the Dorian Prep ASK/TELL forum, as this general hurricane prep forum will be better served as a thread of general rule-of-thumbs for all hurricanes, and your reply is Dorian-specific. Thanks!
-Ciel

Edited by cieldumort (Fri Aug 30 2019 03:26 PM)

Prospero
Storm Tracker

#100245 - Fri Aug 30 2019 01:17 PM

Update in Pinellas County; Propane is sold out in most places. I found a Home Depot via the phone that had a truck resupplying them when I called and ran up there to find a crowd of people with tanks in carts waiting their turn. I scored mine but I think they were about sold out again by the time I left.

I have found one bag of ice so far. Am still looking for another. That should be restocked as well over the next couple days, but I am sure there will be people ready to buy it all right away.

If you need D or C batteries, Amazon might be the best bet.

There were mountains of bottled water everywhere, so no shortage yet.

Hi Prosp, please put all future Dorian-specific prep advice in the Dorian Prep ASK/TELL forum, as this general hurricane prep forum will be better served as a thread of general rule-of-thumbs for all hurricanes, and your entries are Dorian-specific. Thanks!
-Ciel

--------------------

Edited by cieldumort (Fri Aug 30 2019 03:22 PM)

kspkap
Weather Watcher

#100250 - Fri Aug 30 2019 02:36 PM

Apparently you did your research as you are well prepared and most definitely in the correct way. Quite a few people have died using a generator in the home or the garage. Your set-up made me envious as we had to wait until the storm passed, but was still raining. Ours was on the screened porch with boards surrounding it to shelter the thing. Then the darn extension cords! Having to constantly plug and unplug so it could handle the load. The well was constantly powered.

After the 3 storms which hit Central Florida in 2004, we had an electrician wire an outlet for the generator. At the time most of us were new to the use of generators for power outages. We hadn’t dealt with a major storm since Donna in 1960. Well, the electrician wired a no no! No transfer switch...just remember to throw the main house breaker before plugging the generator into the new outlet! An illegal bypass we learned later with much consternation! We decided to leave it fully aware of what to do when the next storm hit. We were fortunate in not having to use the thing again while still living in Florida. When we sold the house I stressed to the buyers the circumstances of the configuration. I advised them repeatedly of what to do....throw the main breaker or please, please have a transfer switch wired! We didn’t want our beloved (and loved they were!) linemen/line-women shocked!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19321

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center