F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
GFDL super computer?
      #77315 - Mon Aug 20 2007 05:22 PM

So I imagine the folks at the lab are gunning some serious Itanium-based superscaler monstrosity.
I am writing a paper on GPUs and parallel processing in general, and I was wondering if there is any practical application for Nvidia's massively parallel Tesla platform, or GPGPUs like it for long range forecasting?
A rackmount with only four units is capable of outputting about 2 teraflops of numbers.

I have been unable to find any meaty info on the very machines that power the forecasting tools that we talk about every day, and this is a field in which I am inordinately interested. :?:

--------------------
cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: GFDL super computer? [Re: Lysis]
      #77413 - Tue Aug 21 2007 06:03 PM

As a follow up for anyone who is interested, I found some information in a wiki article of all places:

"The GFDL operates various-sized SGI Altix 3700 and 4700 supercomputers with a total processor count of over 5,000. Hardware updates occur on average, every 18 months.
Some impressive information from the Altix website, concerning the 4000 series:
" It supports up to 512 processors under one instance of Linux and as much as 128TB of globally shared memory."

"The GFDL has been utilizing High Performance Computing Systems for 50 years. A brief portion of that history can be found on the top 500 supercomputing list".

Linkage

Looking at the list, you can see that the highest ranking the GFDL ever achieved was 75th in November of 1996.
Currently it is ranked 112th.

I wonder how much of the model's effectiveness is capped by lack of funding and/or computing resources?

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Tue Aug 21 2007 06:04 PM)

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: GFDL super computer? [Re: Lysis]
      #77423 - Tue Aug 21 2007 11:43 PM

Re: limited performance -- to some degree yes, but to some degree no. We still have a lot of knowledge-based and data-based improvements to get at before significant improvements are going to come from improved computer power alone, IMO. Data ingestion, however, is one area where more computer power would help, mostly to allow for time-varying data to be ingested into the models.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5004

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center