F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2003 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Jillfrom IHB
Unregistered

being from Minnesota, now in florida...I have a question.
      #11798 - Thu Sep 11 2003 10:55 PM

If the or any hurricane hit the melbourne area or near vicinity, would traveling to orlando area be safe? Do the winds and storm affect it there? If it does, how so? Am I continuing to be in danger? Are hotels a safe place to be? I have 4 dogs so any planning I see, must come sooner then those without the hurdle of finding a hotel that will accept that number of animals...so for future, possibly near future, should I leave central florida? Or is it safe to ride out the storm in orlando.....Last but not least...do hurricanes spawn off tornados, and are they large F? tornados? Thank you kindly for your time.....Jill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanbark
Unregistered

Re: being from Minnesota, now in florida...I have a question.
      #11803 - Thu Sep 11 2003 11:46 PM

Jill, I too am new to the site, but I grew up in coastal SC, and have been through a few of them, including Hugo n 1989.
You're wise to be asking the questions now. One thing I've learned is that, as the storm gets closer, the fear factor goes up exponentially, and the resultant exodus from coastal areas can be an ordeal to be caught in...If Isabel makes landfall, it probably won't be before thursday or Friday, so you've got some time. But,with the dogs and all, I wouldn't wait until wednesday to leave. Just stay up with the track projections, which, these days, are usually pretty accurate, and plan accordingly. If they're projecting Jax, head for Miami, or somewhere on the east coast, no further north than Tampa. If it's headed for central Florida, then you might want to have a rainy visit to Savannah, or Augusta. Point is, if they're calling "Your number", it's way good to assume they're right and get out of Dodge ahead of the rush. Worst that will have happened is that you blew some bucks on a weekend away from home. You should also find out what's required to get back into your home area, after the storm...hope this helps..

Tanbark
Unregistered

#11804 - Thu Sep 11 2003 11:57 PM

Woops...forgot...yes, they can spin off tornadoes...there are people on here much more knowledgable about them than myself, but I don't think the twisters are of the size and threat of the biggies in the mid-west, but still dangerous...
If Isabel is headed for landfall along the central Florida coast, I'd say Orlando will get pounded, too. Perhaps not QUITE as badly, but the Florida peninsula isn't wide enough to completely break up a storm of this size, I don't believe. In any case, Orlando can't be much over a hundred miles inland, and that's not far enough to allow the hurricane to weaken much. If it hits Florida, it will probably come in at something like perpendicular to the peninsula, and your best move to get away is probaby gonna be either north or south, depending on landfall...just do it early.

Tanbark
Unregistered

#11805 - Fri Sep 12 2003 12:01 AM

I have to laugh...I'm giving you this advice, but I'm near Myrtle Beach, and I have this gut feeling that this one may have our name on it...

SandiaFlower
Unregistered

#11826 - Fri Sep 12 2003 08:16 AM

I just copied this and sent to my husband at work who is in denial about the risk....................I was thinking the same thing that we should get in the car if our number is called and haul up north........................put all three kids in the backseat, cat carriers in front................times like this, i am thankful to have a van.

SandiaFlower
Unregistered

#11828 - Fri Sep 12 2003 08:18 AM

Gosh! Myrtle Beach is where we would head to hide this out.............my aunt lives in Conway which is just west of MB. I sure don't want ISaBel to hit up there either.

Tanbark
Unregistered

#11934 - Fri Sep 12 2003 01:00 PM

Sandia, neat little town, Conway...

Just now, most of the "best guesses" that I'm hearing or seeing, would put South Carolina down as the place you would not want to run to. Fairly high expectations that there will be a northward turn, perhaps around the Bahamas, perhaps earlier, but either way, it will likely take most of Florida out of the picture.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
south carolina
      #11960 - Fri Sep 12 2003 01:45 PM

as a permanent resident of south carolina and personal friend of hurricane hugo, i don't really wan't to see my state get mauled again or the strongest hurricane i've experienced topped in my state. i mean, francis marion nat'l forest is just growing back.. and those ragged remnants of the proud old southern pines that stand as shattered monuments to the storm of 14 years ago. be a shame to see them sheared off 10 feet above ground like their old fallen comrades, and all the new growth mowed back down below them.
i love south carolina.. it's the dirty south, but it's my home. don't send us another one.
north carolina seems to get more of the action, and usually those are weakening 3s or 2s. let them north calinky folk have this one i say.
that in mind, my forecast track is at georgia.. oh, i love georgia too. always on my mind. dammit, is there anywhere we can send this thing i don't love?
answer is no. just hope something bad (good for us) happens in this case, magic weakening, unforetold recurvature.. there's a blocking ridge and a big hurricane underneath it.. odds are somebody's going to have to dance with it.
HF 1745z12september

SandiaFlower
Unregistered

Re: south carolina
      #12085 - Fri Sep 12 2003 07:17 PM

One can get the best grub in the deep south...............we will be hiding out in Georgia more than likely..........and me and the kids take a bus to SC while H surveys the home thing.........can't take kids back to broken glass etc. Auntie sure wants this to miss her Conway place.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4234

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center