F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2003 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Challenge #1 - Results and Analysis
      #12290 - Sat Sep 13 2003 04:09 PM

The official 13/12Z position of Hurricane Isabel was 22.1N 61.0W with an intensity of 130 knots. Most of us didn't do very well but I think that we may have expected that - its not an easy thing to do. Storm Cooper was off by about 130 miles at 22.8N 63.2W (not bad for a one week forecast). Stormchazer gets honorable mention with 20.5N and 64W. We all underplayed the intensity, who would have anticipated a Cat IV/V? The last Cat V was five years ago (Mitch). HankFrank had the intensity at 110 knots.

Everyone was too far to the west, so Why was that? Well I think our expectation was that the storm would eventually be a Cat I or a Cat II and it would move more under the influence of the low to mid level wind. Remember, a strong Atlantic basin high pressure ridge was anticipated at the time, so we figured that those easterly winds along the base of the ridge would move Isabel steadily westward at a decent 15-20kts. In retrospect, the ridge was slow to evolve and the storm quickly became a Cat IV, so the movement now was more under the control of the mid to upper level winds - which were a lot lighter, so Isabel had a slower 8 to 10 knot pace.

Of course the real point that I was making was that this isn't an easy thing to do - not just for 7 days but even for 5 days or 3 days. The release this year of the 5-day outlook had more to do with the refinement of models rather than with the excellent skill at NHC - the NHC has been doing this for quite some time - and yes, there have been failures as well as success - but you still have to make the forecast based on the info at hand.

Thanks to all that participated. It takes a little courage to stick your neck out and I applaud you for that!
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Challenge #1 - Results and Analysis
      #12316 - Sat Sep 13 2003 07:03 PM

I'll need to document this one well as it will probably my closest

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #12380 - Sun Sep 14 2003 01:04 AM

actually ed, that was fun. aside from you though, i didn't see any of our resident degreed mets take the plunge.. would be interesting to see how they stack up against amateur reckoning.
anyhow, ed, you've created a monster. for subsequent systems i'm going to post forum challenges for the 7-day positions of a given storm every few days.. since i can imagine that quite a few people on this board would enjoy it.
HF 0504z14september

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
      #12382 - Sun Sep 14 2003 01:12 AM

Honorable mention...I guess the map on the dartboard worked.

--------------------
Jara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3166

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center