F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2003 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Isabel Weather Reports
      #13139 - Wed Sep 17 2003 11:26 PM

Nothing really new to add regarding the storm except that it has taken on some extratropical characteristics. Yesterday Isabel entrained dry air which altered its structure. A true CDO has been missing for quite some time now. At 956mb, the central pressure is certainly low, but the windfield has expanded considerably. Additional intensification seems unlikely and even the current 90 knots seems generous - probably more like 80 or perhaps 85 at the surface. However the storm will remain strong until landfall - perhaps even after landfall because of its increasing extratropical nature. Anything that was once spinning at Cat V is going to take a long time to wind down.

Really no need for me to toss in any further analysis at this point in the game - now its time to observe and report - and the Storm Forum would be a great place to do it. If you are in the storm's zone of influence (and you still have power) let us know what you are experiencing at your location. If you have a barometer and/or an anemometer, so much the better, but if not, just estimate things like the wind, sea state, flooding in your area - and don't forget rainfall totals if you have a rain gage. These items make for interesting reading and allow us to share in your experience with the storm - and don't forget to attach photos if you have a digital camera. I'll be pretty liberal on the site for the next 24 hours or so in this Forum - just try to keep your comments 'above board' (pardon the pun) - and don't forget to copy down the url for the backup site from the Main Page News Article - if this site goes down you'll want to have it handy.

Also, don't forget the Disaster Forum if you have info regarding evacuations, highway conditions, shelters, etc. Although we seldom get to use some of these Forums, this is now the time. As a registered user, you can still provide a lot of useful information to others who visit here.

ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Isabel Weather Reports
      #13149 - Thu Sep 18 2003 06:43 AM

Weather observations for the landfall area can be found here:

North Carolina Weather Reports

ED

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
      #13168 - Thu Sep 18 2003 11:39 AM

thanks.. not very high winds.. want to see how strong the strongest sustained winds are with this storm.. think some revisions may be in store ...down the line

fun to watch tho..thanks for the site

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Ed DunhamAdministrator

#13182 - Thu Sep 18 2003 10:08 PM

The highest that I recall seeing was the NHC report of 80mph with gusts to 105mph at Okracoke Island. Isabel passed just to the south of the island so it is reasonable to expect that the intensity was a minimal Cat II at landfall. Also, a dropsonde measurement near landfall recorded 83 knots at the surface (95mph) - but that would have been an instantaneous reading, not a one minute sustained wind.
ED

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #13186 - Thu Sep 18 2003 11:28 PM

yet another case of fairy godmother weakening before landfall. ever seen a 956mb hurricane barely at cat 2 in terms of winds? the age of sissy hurricanes lives on. it's tough to get people to take them seriously when they always do this.. but then again, not so bad for those who have to experience them.
HF 0328z19september

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6266

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center