F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Fujiwara
      #1377 - Mon Jul 22 2002 10:30 PM

JTWC is forecasting a Fujiwara between STY 12W and TS 14W in the western Pacific. Anybody (besides Jason ) want to step up to the plate?
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John C
Unregistered

Re: Fujiwara
      #1378 - Tue Jul 23 2002 12:40 AM

The Fujiwara period (898–1185) is marked by the crystallization of the Yamato-e tradition of painting (based on national rather than on Chinese taste). Kanaoka (late 9th cent.) was the first major native painter. The famous illustrated scroll of the Tale of the Genji—written in the early llth cent. by Lady Murasaki—with its rich color and subtracted treatment of the features of men and women reflects the extreme sensitivity and refinement of the court during that period. The same delicacy of taste can be seen in the sculpture of Jocho (11th cent.).

Or is Fujiwara when 2 or More Typhoons travel together or near each other?

Ed DunhamAdministrator

#1410 - Tue Jul 23 2002 07:40 PM

I surrender - you get the trophy? No way that I can top that!!! (Must have been a quiet night)
ED

John C
Unregistered

#1411 - Tue Jul 23 2002 07:54 PM

No Ed just a copy and paste from a search I did for the word "Fujiwara" on the net! Took about 2 minutes to find it.

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

fuji(w?)hara and names
      #1449 - Fri Jul 26 2002 01:52 AM

fujiwara (or is it fujiwhara) is mostly a westpac thing, hard to get things crowded enough in other parts of the world. wonder if the little one to the south will ever recover from the beating it took. anyhow, different topic.. names. the westpac names are now all drawn from countries in east asia.. thus the names fengshen and fung wong. it's PC that i can agree with, fair enough, but now the westpac name lists look.. appetizing. like i'd want to order them with steamed rice, egg drop soup.. and maybe a fortune cookie. everybody run, here comes kung pao and lo mein. well, not a problem: as ed demonstrates, westpac systems will hereafter be thought of in terms of numbers--typhoons 12 and 14. so unless youre thinking lunch combos #12 and #14, this will no longer cause confusion. anyway, the north indian basin had it right all along, don't even bother naming the things, give 'em a number and there ya go.
HF 0536z26july

Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: fuji(w?)hara and names
      #1462 - Sat Jul 27 2002 06:45 PM

HF you've got a great sense of humor - thanks, I needed that! Speaking of numbers, why is it that every seasonal forecast is always from 9 to 16 named storms, every year? You never seem to see a forecast from 3 to 7 - sometimes 8. I'll bet that if you had a W+ El Nino in the second quarter (April, May, June) and a frigid tropical Atlantic (probably no such thing), you'd still have a pre-season forecast range from 7 to 11. I can't recall the last time that I saw a forecast (my own included) when the numbers were 4 or 5 or 6 - yet those types of seasons do happen from time to time. Maybe its just refusing to accept what the science might be telling us. Probably just a matter of trying to forecast something which really cannot be forecasted with any consistent accuracy. Anyway, it certainly makes for a good challenge each year
ED

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

numbers
      #1499 - Wed Jul 31 2002 03:42 PM

i follow you.. nobody, definitely at this site, ever predicts well below average activity, or that say, something crazy like half a dozen hurricanes in a given season will somehow all miss the coast. i happens often enough though.
its mostly psychological i think. hurricane fans are like rednecks at a monster truck rally. the big mean powerful things run around the rink smashing neat rows of cars, and all stand in awe. it's interesting to watch.. you WANT to see old cars get crushed to scrap. but in the real world, the figurative monster truck can get out of the rink.
this fascination translates over into our forecasts, by osmosis.. nobody wants a boring five storm season. that only happens every.. what, 25 years. it's like betting against your favorite baseball team, saying theyll finish 20 games under .500. you want your team to get the pennant... but that means somebody ELSE has to lose, which on the other side of the analogy is anyone in the hurricane's path.
well, i think.. best to be neutral about them. no amount of wishing is going to make them hit or miss. theyre just part of the grand scheme of things.. just a big variable thats very hard to predict.
i can see all this.. but still wonder how hurricanes manage to incite such zeal and fervor in some people. myself included. though.. i still try to take a neutral, observant attitude. not predicting 16 storms every season, and not forgetting that sometimes there will only be five. overprediction is the side CFHC types tend to err on.
HF 1924z31july

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3472

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center