F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Site Trivia
      #14095 - Mon Jan 05 2004 08:47 PM

Great post by LI Phil in the Storm Forum - really did his homework. Actually, the site is more active than you might think. So far in January the site has averaged over 6,000 hits a day - almost all of them from anonymous users. Not too shabby for the middle of winter!
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Site Trivia
      #14096 - Tue Jan 06 2004 10:13 AM

Thanks Ed.

Although I'm 38, I may actually be taking some meterology courses this spring at my local SUNY (State University of New York). Maybe some day my avocation may become my vocation.

Any mets on this board have any advice for this neophyte weather forecaster? Lovta get some free advice.

Thanks.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LI Phil
User

Guess The Hurricane
      #14097 - Tue Jan 06 2004 12:29 PM

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the name of Hurricane in the graphic I currently have under my name?

<-------This one.

Here's a hint: this was a major hurricane at the time and it did NOT strike Florida. This hurricane happened within the last ten years and the name has since been retired. It is NOT Isabel either. Take your best shots...

If anyone does take a guess and is wrong, I'll drop new hints after each incorrect guess

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

John C
Unregistered

Re: Guess The Hurricane
      #14104 - Wed Jan 14 2004 06:18 AM

Floyd

LI Phil
User

#14105 - Wed Jan 14 2004 04:20 PM

John, you are correct. Back on the 2003 main board, Ed nailed it about a week ago. Still, Kudos. I guess it was too easy because two people guessed and both were correct. Next time (if there IS a next time) I'll have to make it a tad harder.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

JoshK

Reged: Wed
      #14185 - Thu Apr 15 2004 10:24 PM

Well I think he has the same hurricane in his own pic, don't you?

Here's a Question: This is my favorite Hurricane. It was very large, had a very low pressure, occured within the last twenty years, and was a Category 5 storm that did not hit the United States.

LI Phil
User

#14186 - Fri Apr 16 2004 04:33 PM

Could be the same hurricane. Perhaps he'll tell us.

You're question is pretty easy, I think...there have only been 5 CAT 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic basin in the past 20 years, three of which were direct US hits (Isabel 03-Cat 2 at landfall; Andrew-Cat 5 at landfall, and Hugo,-Cat 4 at landfall). The two others were Gilbert in '88 (LOWEST pressure at 888 mb), which though it did not landfall in the US, it did head up into Texas as a TD. Gilbert And Mitch in '98 (pressure 905 mb), which, after doing a number on Central America, made it back into the GOM and hit the Gulf Coast of Florida as a TS. Mitch. Therefore, technically, ALL 5 Cat 5's have hit the US, only two did not strike the US directly. So I guess my two choices are Mitch or Gilbert. Normally I'd go with Mitch, but based on the fact that Gilbert had such a low pressure, I'll pick Gilbert. Am I right?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4359

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center