F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central, Florida
Most devastating hurricane???
      #14347 - Tue May 18 2004 10:56 AM

I was just curious in your opinion which hurricane did the most dammage? I would think floyd would be one of the top ones but I have not been around as long as most of you and I just wanted to know what your opinion was. Thanks

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America
Be proud of your Country!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Most devastating hurricane???
      #14354 - Tue May 18 2004 12:29 PM

In the US? Andrew '92 caused the most $$$ damage. The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 caused the most loss of life (8,000+ dead).

Andrew damage

Great Galveston Hurricane

Historically, there have been some other devastating hurricanes, both in terms of economic impact and also in terms of loss of human life. Mitch in 1998 caused over 11,000 deaths in Central America, the most since the late 1700's. Other horrific storms, from other parts of the globe include the 1970 Super Cyclone which struck Bangladesh, killing hundreds of thousands.

historic hurricanes

Bangladesh Cyclones

Camille 1969 was also particularly brutal, being a CAT V at landfall, although it was neither the deadliest nor costliest in the US.

camille

Hurricane Hugo in 1989 was also one of the harshest storms in recent memory. It was both huge and carried it's destructive rage inland for over 100 miles.

Hugo 1
Hugo 2

NOAA as well as NHC both have extensive information on "Killer Canes". You can literally spend hours there.

Hope you enjoyed the info.

PS. If you think it might be "fun" to be in one of these monsters, think again. There are a few folks on this board who've been through, I think, some Cat III's, but most will be evacuating early. And, if you are told to evacuate, GET THE HELL OUT!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Spike
Storm Tracker

Re: Most devastating hurricane???
      #14360 - Tue May 18 2004 01:43 PM

My God...... Those are some big ass storms. I would be way out of Florida if any of those hit! And thanks for the info, I'm reading though it right now.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America

LI Phil
User

Evac
      #14361 - Tue May 18 2004 01:59 PM

You probably wouldn't need to leave Fla, but you'd probably need to get way inland. All depends upon what emergency management decides is necessary. I believe Floyd DID cause a northerly evac for FLA residents (I'd need to check), but then Floyd suddenly veered North striking the Outer Banks and EC, brushing LI with TS winds.

And therein lies the problem...because of the danger Floyd posed, the evac had to be undertaken well ahead of the anticipated landfall. So, of course, when there WAS no landfall, undoubtedly many residents will not heed the warnings the next time a major hurricane threatens FLA and residents are told to leave. Gives them a false sense of security. Complacency in the future could lead to a number of unnecessary deaths. So, once again, if you are told to leave, get the hell out of there.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Spike
Storm Tracker

Re: Evac
      #14362 - Tue May 18 2004 02:08 PM

Yea I understand. I'm not really close to the coast, but most hurricanes can come very far inland. It all depends on the situation if it gets bad enough then like you told me "Get the hell out of there!"

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America

LI Phil
User

#14380 - Tue May 18 2004 10:08 PM

Spike, again, it depends upon the particular storm. If you live 20 miles inland and a Cat 2 is threatening, then by all means break out the (for you UN) alcoholic beverages and enjoy the partay. But if a Cat 4, which Floyd was at the time, is within a couple of hundred miles of you...pack the kids, the dog and the flood insurance policy (for coastal residents) and get the #$%^% out of there. Again, that's the problem with disaster planning....damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you don't call for an evacuation and the storm hits....well, then you're f---ed. If you do call for an evac and the storm hangs a sharp right, the next time the area is threatened, people won't take the warnings seriously. Again, there are so many factors involved, i.e. strength of storm, angle, time it would take to evacuate the potentially affected area, all come into play.

Just to give you a personal example...I live on Long Island (duh). However, as an Island (albeit a fairly large one), many many different factors would come into play. Depending upon the potential strength of storm at landfall, evacuation warnings could be required more than 48 (and possibly 72) hours before projected landfall. Now, Long Island has barrier Islands, which would completely flood in even a weak Cat 2, so all those residents would need to evacuate, by bridge or ferry, well in advance. In a stronger storm, those inland up to several miles would also need to evacuate...but the only ways out are some ferries (from the north shore to CT), or NYC bridges and tunnels. Because TS force winds are stronger at elevation than at the surface, this would mean bridges would close to traffic many hours before the storm even approaches. And with almost 4 million residents, 2 million or more who would be at risk, this would be an impossible task....

This is my greatest fear. If we ever had a repeat of some of the more famous hurricanes of the past (1938, 1893, 18??), we'd have death and destruction like never before. Subways in Manhattan would flood, lower manhattan would be under water up to 24th street (a LONNNNNGGGG way).

Anyway, enough of my babbling. Just suffice it to say that when the "big one" comes a-knockin', get the heck outta Dodge if they tell you to.

I'm not really into "disaster" movies, as they always exaggerate the truth, but I am actually looking forward to the release of "The Day After Tomorrow" which opens, at least in my area, next week. All about potential weather disasters. Probably way over the top (previews show the Statue of Liberty being demolished by a 200' wave--yeah right), but it could be a fun little weather related flick. It'll probably 5u<K, but who doesn't love a little bit o'weather?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Spike
Storm Tracker

#14437 - Thu May 20 2004 01:32 AM

Yea. I have to agree with you. If we were told to evacuate I would turn and get the hell out. I am not so close to the coast that it would form a huge problem, its just that hurricanes can come so far inland. Anyway.... you just gotta watch out and take the warnings seriously. And for the movie "the day after tomarrow" I would like to go see that. Even though it would be so far from reality I still think it might be interesting.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3694

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center