F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2002-2009 >> 2002 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Area of Interest - NE Caribbean
      #1468 - Sun Jul 28 2002 07:24 AM

A large well-defined tropical wave, currently passing through the northeast Caribbean Sea, has some potential for slow development over the next couple of days as the system moves to the west northwest. The system is in an area of light northeasterly shear which is forecast to weaken and move westward with the system. SST in the area is about 28C. I'd expect that the west northwest movement will eventually become more northwesterly on Monday. The wave is in an area that is usually favorable for development at this time of the season.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Area of Interest - NE Caribbean
      #1469 - Sun Jul 28 2002 09:32 PM

Hey Ed,

I was thinking the wave probably would turn more westerly due to the building high pressure north of the system, which while building west, ought to be strong enough east of the wave not to allow it to kick out northwest at least until Thursday or so. But since you do this stuff for a living, I wanted to ask you to clue me in on what I was missing or is you thought the wave might hang out in the SW Atlantic longer than that.

Thanks,

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Area of Interest - NE Caribbean
      #1471 - Sun Jul 28 2002 10:48 PM

Hi Steve:
Actually at the time, the upper air progs had pulled the western limit of the Atlantic ridge back to the east and the 300mb forecast showed a southerly flow on the west side of the ridge. I also didn't think that it would move quite as fast as it did. Progs still show the southerly flow so shear could keep this one from developing. Here is a link - they also have a 48 hour.

http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_h24_00.gif

Cheers,
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center