F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: surprise 92L is up for the Atlantic
      #14826 - Thu Jun 03 2004 04:09 PM

Frank P,

This is a surprising invest. South and just off the coast of Africa...in JUNE! Don't think they'll be sending in the recon anytime soon, but I suppose it bears watching. As far as "Alex", I'll put it about 15%.

Anyone else want to take a shot at developement?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #14827 - Thu Jun 03 2004 04:25 PM

What do you think the chances are that it could make it across to the Caribbean and then develop?You said you put its chances of formation at 15%, but what if it reaches a more favourable environment? It may sound like a long shot but stranger things have happened.

Edited by James88 (Thu Jun 03 2004 04:26 PM)

lois
Unregistered

#14828 - Thu Jun 03 2004 04:44 PM

Think it can make it across... my problem would be then what.. conditions are pretty hostile still at the door way to the Caribbean.

Still the last one made it across.. didn't look this organized.

Would think either way we might see some early Cape Verdes...from what we've seen so far. Once the water temps elevate just a drop..watch out.

and btw... cyclone.. sorry if i said something when annoyed which could have been taken wrong.. know everyonel puts a lot of effort in their sites and respect that. I just liked it better when there was a bit more diversity in the sites and that's an offboard issue.

Also... as Steve so well put. We all like different things and feel more at home different places... boards, etc.

Also... would like to see some sites people enjoy who live in places like New Orleans, Houston (neil frank), the Cape Hatteras area.. would be nice to see what everyone here enjoys on a local level .. and which mets they enjoy locally. Maybe thats a topic for another board here vs news.

take care bobbi

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
      #14829 - Thu Jun 03 2004 05:02 PM

I agree with Lois, think it'll make it across the Atl for awhile before it hits a more hosite environment. As far chances of development, maybe 20% at best. Anyway it's still interesting to see the East Atl being a lot more active this year than at this time last year because of all the dry air that was entrenched for so long.

AJ

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

MoparMitch
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #14830 - Thu Jun 03 2004 05:16 PM

I am also VERY impressed with this little system. What is just as impressive are the waves coming of the African coast, especially this early in the season.
I actually think this has about 35% chance of developing, if the environment maintains itself, which it should for about another day or so. Past that, it will be knocking on the Caribbean’s doorstep, where if anything does develop, will be torn to shreds. What would be REALLY interesting to see if this system takes a more northerly track, where the westerlies may not have such an influence on it, but then again the water temps may not support much at this time.

All in all, very interesting and a prelude for things to come.

mitch...

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #14831 - Thu Jun 03 2004 05:30 PM

Wasn't it about this time last year that the CV season got started with Tropical Depression 2? I'm not saying that this wil happen this year, but this little system certainly bears a look every now and then - perhaps it will get a brief mention in the 5:30pm weather outlook.

On another note, the system in the East Pacific has not made any progress, and the weather outlook says "THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION AT THIS TIME AND
DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...IS EXPECTED TO BE SLOW." Looks like it will be a little longer before Blas forms, and Joe B's earlier prediction may take a little longer to pan out.

LONNY307
Unregistered

#14832 - Thu Jun 03 2004 05:48 PM

Something is wrong with 92L. It's a pacific storm. The vis. sat shows it off mexico and the lat/long is also in the Pacific.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #14833 - Thu Jun 03 2004 06:10 PM

I disagree, this is in the far eastern Atlantic. You can also see the cloud formation of this system using the NASA Meteosat 7 view, link below. And it sure looks like the west coast of Africa as the nearest land mass.... there is a system in the EPAC off Central America, and its convection is much more impressive than this one 92L...

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/metsat7ir.html

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #14834 - Thu Jun 03 2004 06:10 PM

Well spotted! I feel stupid - how did I miss that?! Shouldn't it be 92E? At least there is an invest somewhere. Right?

Edited by James88 (Thu Jun 03 2004 06:12 PM)

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
      #14835 - Thu Jun 03 2004 06:19 PM

92L is clearly in the eastern atlantic as the latitud 8.0 n-21.5w shows up where you put the mouse at the pic.Very interesting this invest and a surprise one as I was away from the internet this morning.Let's see if some models jump on it later on.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #14836 - Thu Jun 03 2004 06:23 PM

I stand corrected. I didn't check the latitiude etc.. Thanks for clearing that one up.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
92L is clearly off the African coast
      #14837 - Thu Jun 03 2004 06:45 PM

Here's a better sat/ir image of 92L It doesn't look all that impressive, but you can clearly see it is off the coast of Africa.

Compare this to the two WestPac systems. Might there be teleconnections? If so, if this does develop, will it simply spin the fishes? Don't think it's gonna make it across the pond to the Islands & Gulf. from the HurricaneAlley

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Lois
Unregistered

make it across the Atlantic?
      #14838 - Thu Jun 03 2004 07:08 PM

After watching it this afternoon I'm amazed they did an invest. Not a lot to write home about.. thought the one before it looked better and like that mess over Africa still.

Wonder what parameters NRL has before making an invest.

Does anyone know?

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Invest Criteria
      #14839 - Thu Jun 03 2004 07:31 PM

Information on this is quite difficult to find, but I did find something. A system with a statement of central pressure is often assigned an invest. I don't know how useful this is, or even if it is completely correct, but it seems to be one of the criteria needed. Note that the invest in the E. Pacific has a low of 1008mb associated with it. I'm sure there are other things needed to designate a system an invest, but this seems to be one of them.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Retired Names
      #14841 - Thu Jun 03 2004 08:28 PM

This subject came up a while back...retiring names of storms. In 2007 Allison, Iris and Michelle will be replaced by Andrea, Ingrid and Melissa. In 2008 Ike and Laura will replace Isidore and Lili. In 2009 Fred, Ida and Joaquin will replace Fabian, Isabel and Juan.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Retired Names
      #14842 - Thu Jun 03 2004 08:31 PM

Where did you get those names? I've checked the NHC website and they have left the names unchanged. Could you possibly provide a web link?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #14843 - Thu Jun 03 2004 08:37 PM

There are a bunch of places to get the info, but here's the first link I found:

http://www.weathermatrix.net/archive/tropical/summaries/0023.html

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #14844 - Thu Jun 03 2004 08:45 PM

Thanks! I don't understand why the NHC doesn't have this on their website, but it makes sense that these names should have been retired. Since when did a hurricane that caused $3.37billion in damage (cashing in at the 4th most expensive hurricane in the US), the worst hurricane to hit Bermuda in over 70 years, and Halifax's worst storm in modern history not get their names retired?

Fred surprises me as a choice, because it is a very similar name to Frederic in '79. I thought they would choose something a little more different, but then I suppose that there are only so many names that begin with 'F'. Joaquin's a name I've never heard before. Still, I suppose we should focus on the coming year, some good names there.

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
No mention of 92L in the TWO
      #14845 - Thu Jun 03 2004 09:29 PM

The NHC apparently does not consider 92L that important as there is no mention of it in the 5:30pm TWO. Maybe 10:30 update will give it a mention. I am also having trouble accessing NRL, anyone else having the same problem?

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

LI Phil
User

Reged:
NRL
      #14846 - Thu Jun 03 2004 09:36 PM

I haven't been able to get on NRL all day.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 58377

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center