F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Pages: 1
LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
The Day After Tomorrow
      #15034 - Mon Jun 07 2004 09:34 AM

Have any of you seen the movie, " The Day After Tomorrow:?

If so, what did you think? Could it ever happen?

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: LadyStorm]
      #15035 - Mon Jun 07 2004 10:06 AM

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It was a good film, but most of the impact was in the special effects. Some of the stuff was really unlikely, like a 'blizzard hurricane' forming over land. The idea behind the movie has been seriously investigated, and it has been suggested that the Gulf Stream could be cut off in as little as 15 years. However, most scientific opinion is divided on the subject. I suppose it is possible, but if it happened, it would probably happen on a much larger scale than just several days.

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: James88]
      #15064 - Tue Jun 08 2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It was a good film, but most of the impact was in the special effects. Some of the stuff was really unlikely, like a 'blizzard hurricane' forming over land. The idea behind the movie has been seriously investigated, and it has been suggested that the Gulf Stream could be cut off in as little as 15 years. However, most scientific opinion is divided on the subject. I suppose it is possible, but if it happened, it would probably happen on a much larger scale than just several days.

I agree. NOAA has some interesting ideas in this artilcle.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/abrupt/

--------------------

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #15065 - Tue Jun 08 2004 09:58 AM

Thanks for the link. A very interesting article, and it makes sobering reading. It wasn't so long ago that everyone was predicting that the future would be much warmer than today. Now, it seems we could be in for a much colder one!

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: James88]
      #15068 - Tue Jun 08 2004 12:01 PM

I saw it and the special effects are A+.Of course it is a movie so when I see tornadoes in Los Angeles,Big hurricanes moving from the artic area,The streets of New York flooded and freezed I know it is fiction.But many scientists around the world that I haved seen comments in recent years talked about this scenario if global warming continues to expand.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: Cycloneye]
      #15290 - Sat Jun 12 2004 09:47 PM

Saw it today. What a bunch of 5h!T. Totally ridiculous and absolutely out of the realm of possibility. A C-eye said, A+ special effects (the whole reason I went to see it), but a horrid script and story. If you like Hollywood endings & cliched dialog, by all means see this movie. Had to pay $9.25 (NY prices), and it wasn't worth it. The only redeeming quality WAS the special effects, and they were outstanding.

To anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to, go to the bargain matinee & bring your own bottled water. I had to pay $3.25 for a friggin' Dasani. And it was warm . Special effects are quite possibly the best I've ever seen...look for an oscar nod in that category next February.

OK, Roger Ebert I'm not, and feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Peace,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central, Florida
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: LI Phil]
      #15294 - Sat Jun 12 2004 11:48 PM

Yea i agree with you phil that movie was a peice of crap!
What a waste of money. 8.50 for nothing it was garbage. A movie like shrek 2 would be closer to reality than this peice of crap.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America
Be proud of your Country!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: The Day After Tomorrow [Re: Spike]
      #15295 - Sat Jun 12 2004 11:54 PM

Spike,

I didn't say the movie was a bunch of %h!T, the premise was. I was entertained. It just really bothers me when Hollywood puts out stuff like this. I'm not saying you can't stretch the truth within reason, but this was beyond all reason. It's a shame that actors like Dennis Quade didn't read the script before signing on. Even with the flawed premise of the movie, several scenes contradicted themselves (don't want to spoil it for anyone). Also, if it is supposedly like -30, I would expect they would figure a way to show the actors' breaths consistently.

And BTW, loved the Shrek2 reference. Priceless

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #15313 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:12 AM

This movie did have alot of mixed reviews. Abrupt Climate Change certainly could not happen in the time period reflected in the movie. However, I think the whole point that the movie producer wanted to get acrossed is the idea, that could our pollution habits produce global warming and thus hasen another ice age. The original script had even less of a story line, but they had to spruce it up to get movie goers. I agree the story line was horrid. But the exaggeration of events did get me thinking more about the environment. The astronaut said from space after it had all happened, " I have never seen the atmosphere look so clean.

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #15318 - Sun Jun 13 2004 02:07 PM

MaryAnn,

Perhaps I came off a tad too critical of the movie. But it didn't get me thinking about global warming or some other bogus weather phenomena we've all read far too much about.

If there is such an Al Gorian thing as global warming (and believe me, I know all about greenhouse gases up here next to NYC), this movie didn't scare me into believing any of it. I saw the movie because of the special effects, and hopefully Oscar will remember them next winter, but the plot, story & script could have been penned by any 18 year old with a laptop. Sorry if I like a little realism with my fantasies. This piece of s--- was way way way over the top. When it comes out on DVD, I'll buy it and watch it with the SOUND OFF.

Anyhoo, enough of my sorrya-- missives. Bottom line: horrible movie with the best special effects ever. That gives it a 2 (out of 4) in my book.

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
      #15323 - Sun Jun 13 2004 03:28 PM

If the film was all disaster sequences, it would be brilliant - but the pathetic script really drags it down. Hopefully one of the special features on DVD will be the option to cut out everything except the special effects

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8005

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center