F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Not a depression yet [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15365 - Sun Jun 13 2004 09:32 PM

I wouldn't expect it to be upgraded to TD status until tomorrow pm at the earliest. Time is now beginning to run out. If it just gets a little nudge tomorrow, maybe NHC will give it TD status, but my thinking is that there won't be enough time to become Alex. As Maxwell Smart used to say, "I was THIS CLOSE"

BTW, posters may want to check out my favorite whipping boy, TWC. They're running a pretty awesome hurricane special as we speak.

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ocoabeach
Unregistered

Info Boui: E GULF 260 nm South of Panama City, FL [Re: MikeC]
      #15366 - Sun Jun 13 2004 09:56 PM

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=42003

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Info Boui: E GULF 260 nm South of Panama City, FL [Re: ocoabeach]
      #15367 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:18 PM

Im not sure but reading the data from that bouy I get the idea that there might be some sort of circulation down there a bit earlier?? Someone correct me if im wrong, Still trying to learn here

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Losing my convection... [Re: DroopGB31]
      #15368 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:23 PM

OK really bad REM pseudo-reference in the post title there. If you look at the sat ir, looks to be losing some convection...but check out the flare up over Cuba. Not sure if this portends any potential development, but tomorrow should prove interesting to say the least.

ir

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Losing my convection... [Re: LI Phil]
      #15369 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:36 PM

I think the flare ups over Cuba are more likely to be afternoon convection firing-up, much similar to what you see happening here over Florida. Looking at water vapor loop, it looks like that dry air is going to be messing with our invest if its not already.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't write it off yet [Re: LI Phil]
      #15370 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:37 PM

Looks like the west side is starting to fill in again on our poor little system. Looks to be moving NNE to me.

ShawnS

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Losing my convection... [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15371 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:40 PM

So, you don't think the Cuban blockade is due to this system, but rather to atmospheric conditions ala FLA? I'm not questioning you, rather, to me it seems as though this is a function of this system rather than a separate, isolated event. I could very easily be wrong though.

Any mets who see this post care to prove me wrong? It's happened about six times today, so one more wouldn't hurt.

Peace,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

teal61
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Spring, TX (30.1N 95.5W)
Re: Cuba..... [Re: LI Phil]
      #15374 - Sun Jun 13 2004 11:26 PM

Sea breeze causes this, same thing happens quite frequently over Florida. It will happen almost every day, some days more active than others. The sea breeze is partly responsible for the thunderstorms in the Houston area this afternoon.

Edited by teal61 (Sun Jun 13 2004 11:27 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Cuba..... [Re: teal61]
      #15375 - Sun Jun 13 2004 11:31 PM

Thanks for being civil, Teal61. I'd elaborate more but Ed will just edit me out. Just so I can be totally certain, the cuban t-storms have nothing to do with this system? Have a good night all, I've said more than enuf for today.

Peace & Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
      #15377 - Mon Jun 14 2004 12:46 AM

Looking at the latest loop, looks to me like there is a center wraping around. What do you all think? Pretty close to being a depression if you ask me.........

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #15378 - Mon Jun 14 2004 12:49 AM

Perhaps the system may aid in bringing enhanced moisture up over cuba, causing a higher coverage of afternoon thunderstorms over that area. An east and west coast sea breeze collision has occured on the western side Florida this evening and has resulted in a burst of thunderstorm development over central and western parts of the peninsula, its raining here right now, lots of thunder too. Ed can probably explain the story of afternoon convection being down there in Melbourne.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
I am looking to the east [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15379 - Mon Jun 14 2004 12:56 AM

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html

While all eyes of course should be focused on the GOM system there is a tropical wave east of the lesser antilles that looking at sat pics it has a decent outflow going.I dont expect development from it but another round of rain going to the islands that haved been in surpluses of rainfall this year compared with past years.I will be watching it just in case it organizes but it is not likely at this time.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Convection decreasing [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15380 - Mon Jun 14 2004 12:59 AM

not sure its looking as healthy as it was earlier today convection wise. Latest IR loop shows convection decreasing significantly around the apparent center in the last few frames. Maybe this is the result of the dry air that showed up on the Water Vapor loop. The system has a limited window for development now, as shear will be on the increase in the gulf after about 36 hours.

Steve Hirschberg
Unregistered

Re: I am looking to the east [Re: Cycloneye]
      #15383 - Mon Jun 14 2004 01:40 AM

I've been watching this also Luis. Nice amplification with this wave. As I stated earlier, wondering if UL conditions will be ok for further development. Its at the right place for this time of year to get into the eastern Caribbean. The GOM mess is enhancing T'storms over the Florida peninsula. More than your usual bout of seabreeze interaction, as those typically die off by 8pm. GOM still has a chance to tighten before running aground. Gives us two areas to watch. Cheers!!

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
slow on the uptake [Re: Steve Hirschberg]
      #15384 - Mon Jun 14 2004 02:05 AM

phil, seemed like a good pop-culture pun reference for a minute, but then i thought of the emaciated look the disturbance has a picture of michael stipe came up and.. ech, now i don't like looking at it.
you may have ruined it for me, but i still owe you a beer if you get your june 14 system.
it's probably going to burst some overnight, slowly organize and such. one good several-hour burst would give us a tropical storm. once the overnight land breeze kicks up and the diurnal convection onland dies out, it should get more inflow and perhaps that will be enough to do it.
still going to keep it around 40% for making t.s., it has some going for it, but time and shear will probably not permit it being more than a very minimal system. we're all thinking rain...
one other thing of interest. SSTs in the east atlantic subtropics and near europe are showing stronger positive anomalies.. think the implications of that may be a stronger azores high and more of a tendency for negative NAO, as we go into summer.
HF 0205z14june

DustDuchess
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Polk County Florida
Re: I am looking to the east [Re: Steve Hirschberg]
      #15385 - Mon Jun 14 2004 02:11 AM

Rain here has been lighter than usual in Polk, where I am. I guess the west coast caught most of it tonight. I am thinking we will wake up to find our "cuda been" - a "use to was". There were just too many things interfering with formation. Early in the year, and too many different wind directions. Hopefully the remains will not interfere in our afternoon rains because they are needed to make the heat tolerable.

--------------------
Good or bad, weather is all there is.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: slow on the uptake [Re: HanKFranK]
      #15387 - Mon Jun 14 2004 02:48 AM

Rain coming down here in Pensacola right now. We'll see how the system looks in the morning........

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: slow on the uptake [Re: HanKFranK]
      #15388 - Mon Jun 14 2004 03:24 AM

Frank- negative NAO means what again? refresh my memory

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: slow on the uptake [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #15389 - Mon Jun 14 2004 04:58 AM

Quote:

Frank- negative NAO means what again? refresh my memory

NAO is short for North Atlantic Oscillation and references a blocking pattern roughly between Greenland and the Maritimes. It can slow forward progression of systems and lead to amplification and other continental weather variations.

From the Met office in the U.K.

What is the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) ?
For many of the past 15 years, a recurring pressure pattern has resulted in milder than normal winter temperatures in in western Europe. After El Nino, this pattern is one of the most dominant modes of global climate variability - referred to as the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO pronouned "en-ay-oh"). In a diary which he kept in Greenland during the years 1770-78, the missionary Hans Egede Saabye made the following observation: "In Greenland, all winters are severe, yet they are not alike. The Danes have noticed that when the winter in Denmark was severe, as we perceive it, the winter in Greenland in its manner was mild, and conversely." This temperature see-saw is now known to be a manifestation of the NAO. The high index winter/springs of 1989, 1990, and 1995, were caused by a net displacement of air from over the Arctic and Icelandic regions towards the subtropic belt near the Azores and the Iberian peninsula, and had strengthened westerlies over the North Atlantic ocean. Stronger westerlies bring more warm moist air over the European continent and gives rise to milder maritime winters. The low index winter/springs of 1917, 1936, 1963, and 1969 had weaker mean westerlies over the North Atlantic ocean with corresponding colder than normal European winters. The strengthened or weakened westerlies over the North Atlantic are also known to have major impacts on oceanic ecosystems and ultimately North Atlantic fish stocks.

After more than 100 years of scientific research, the fundamental mechanisms behind the variability of the North Atlantic Oscillation still remain intriguing mysteries. However, some things are however becoming clearer. For example, it appears that the link between the notorious bad boy of the tropical Pacific, El Nino, and his nordic cousin, the NAO, is relatively weak. It is also becoming clearer that some of the current day climate models are showing some encouraging ability to make probabilistic forecasts of the NAO a season ahead. What is not clear is why the NAO has become more positive over the last 30 years and there is some speculation that this may be a sign of human induced global warming. On the other hand, it could merely be natural climate variability. This question is currently being adressed by by analysing long simulations of the NAO using state-of-the-art climate models running on the world's fastest supercomputers. Because of its climatic importance, the NAO is currently generating intense scientific interest and this will undoubtably lead to further advances in our understanding of this intriguing phenomenon and hopefully our ability to forecast it.

------------------------------------------------
Local word in the city is 2-4", locally 6" over the next 48 hours as we sit between an upper level system that is expected to stall over east TX and the Gulf moisture. The rain is inching back toward the city. About 15 miles west of here in St. Charles Parish, they've already had 4-5" this afternoon and evening. So obviously the rain will be affecting LA, MS, AL, FL and GA as promised. Bastardi thinks it's going in at 92W late tomorrow night and should move into the Tennessee Valley by mid-week. He believes Tropical Storm "conditions" should occur east of the center out to 150 miles. In his zone forecast for the week, he dropped a note on Texas, "Zone 12. A very warm first part of the period over western areas turns cooler by the weekend. The tropical moisture that hangs in early leaves so it re-warms mid and late week, but over the weekend the front comes south and causes problems. The threat of trof splitting next week could set in motion more heavy thunderstorms from I-35 east the week of th 20th, including the next pulse of tropical development in the western gulf."

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

ticka1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Southeast Texas
Re: slow on the uptake [Re: Steve]
      #15391 - Mon Jun 14 2004 11:11 AM

Looks like the window of opportunity has run out for this system and it will just be a rainmaker for the GOM states this week. This is just the first of many systems for the 2004 Hurricane Season.

--------------------
Join www.wildonweather.com/forum Message Board

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 139502

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center