F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
James88
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
New E. Pacific Invest
      #16222 - Sun Jul 18 2004 01:23 PM

92E is currently off the Mexican coast, and looks quite good on satellite imagery. There definately seems to be a turn in the clouds and there is convection building up over the centre. Maybe it will be christened TD #4E later today if it holds together. It is in a good spot - there are favourable conditions and it is over warm waters. Perhaps it will become Celia. Anyone have any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New E. Pacific Invest [Re: James88]
      #16238 - Sun Jul 18 2004 07:25 PM

The Joint Typhoon Warning Center has a alert which says that an area of distrubed weather a few hundred miles southwest of Cabo San Lucas has reached tropical depression strength. I don't think this is the same invest just off the Mexican coast, but could also become TD4-E.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Celia [Re: Anonymous]
      #16285 - Mon Jul 19 2004 02:53 PM

Just released T-numbers for 04E: 3.0/3.0. Yep, about to become Celia.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

James88
Weather Master

Re: Celia [Re: LI Phil]
      #16349 - Tue Jul 20 2004 03:29 AM

The last discussion forecasts Celia to peak just shy of hurricane strength. However, it looks to have become better organised since the last advisory with deep convection maintaining itself over a larger area. It has 24-48 hours of warm water left (notice that the E. Pacific has cooled somewhat over the past week), and I wouldn't be surprised to see it make minimal hurricane status.

LI Phil
User

Re: Celia [Re: James88]
      #16361 - Tue Jul 20 2004 10:52 AM

James,

Sustained winds now at 60 MPH with gusts to 70+, and forecasted to strengthen over the next 24 hours before she hits cooler waters. She's only moving at about 7 MPH, so she'll spend plenty of time over warmer waters. Will she make it to Hurricane? It's going to be close, real close.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

#16391 - Tue Jul 20 2004 05:55 PM

I may be wrong, but if you look at the storm floater visible image and loop, it kinda looks like Celia is developing an eye. It could be just a transient feature, but it is an interesting development.

LI Phil
User

#16393 - Tue Jul 20 2004 06:09 PM

I don't think she's developing an eye, but circulation does appear to be tightening a bit. Winds are down to 50 MPH, and although some additional strengthening is possible, it doesn't look like she'll ever make it to Hurricane Strength. Although latest Dvorak #s are listed at 3.0/3.0, I wouldn't be surprised if they are a shade lower than that, probably on the order of 2.5/2.5.

She's still only moving at 7 MPH, and will be over warm waters for about another day, so it's not impossible to reach H-strength, but highly unlikely.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

#16410 - Wed Jul 21 2004 03:49 AM

She doesn't look any better on satellite imagery this morning, so she has probably not strengthened. She's probably peaked as a 50kt storm. Obviously you were right about the 'eye', Phil. The latest discussion on Celia says that it was just a "SHORT-LIVED EYE-WANNABE". Oh well. She's giving us something to watch while we wait and see what becomes of 97L.

LI Phil
User

#16471 - Wed Jul 21 2004 03:44 PM

Dvorak #'s up to 4.0/4.0. We might have Hurricane Celia at 5:00!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

#16474 - Wed Jul 21 2004 03:57 PM

There does seem to have been an eye embedded in the convection for the last several hours, so you're probably right Phil. Remember last year - it took until Ignacio to get a hurricane!

James88
Weather Master

#16485 - Wed Jul 21 2004 04:39 PM

The latest discussion places Celia just shy of hurricane strength at 60kts. It says that Celia may become a hurricane in the next 6-12 hours. Nearly there, and it's going to be a close call.

LI Phil
User

#16502 - Wed Jul 21 2004 05:24 PM

At 5:00, winds 70 MPH. Just shy of H status. It won't need much strengthening to become a hurric, but it's beginning to run out of time. Maybe at 11?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Hurricane Celia [Re: LI Phil]
      #16537 - Thu Jul 22 2004 02:39 AM

Yep, Celia is now a hurricane. She is looking good on imagery, with plenty of deep convection. She is not forecast to get any stronger but I wouldn't be that surprised if it edged up to 70 kts before weakening (at least based on her current appearance).

LI Phil
User

Re: Hurricane Celia [Re: James88]
      #16545 - Thu Jul 22 2004 10:47 AM

Celia. She sure showed more 'stones' than 97L, but of course her enviroment is a lot better. On her current track, she may be able to hold together a bit longer than previously forecasted, and with the warm waters surrounding Hawaii, could be a playah for the Islands down the road. She'll need to be watched a while longer than I had expected.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Re: Hurricane Celia [Re: LI Phil]
      #16707 - Sun Jul 25 2004 04:59 PM

Well, the last advisory (#29) has been issued on Celia. She was the longest lasting system of the season to date, and she unexpectedly reached hurricane status. Not a bad little storm. She certainly gave us something to watch during the quiet time in the Atlantic. Next up, Darby.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8426

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center