F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Question Regarding Site Structure
      #17550 - Tue Aug 03 2004 10:31 AM

On the Main News Talkback page, the following question was asked:

"And..question... am I to understand that you don't want us to post thoughts on 91 here but ony in storm forum? I'm getting that impression that rules are being laid down.. and if so would like to have them explained.

Prefer posting in one forum as it will be a busy season and time is limited and dont want to have to run back and forth from Alex to Bonnie and new things because it is ALL connected..especially as it gets down the line."

Response:
Well, some things are explained in the "Site Usage Tips" but some things could probably be explained a little better.

CFHC is a Forum oriented site. The News Talkback covers a topic (or topics) of interest at the moment. A Forum can be used to cover dialogue of a more specific nature. When it comes to the News Talkback and the Storm Forum, they are closely inter-related, so the explanation in this case is No, i.e., your impression is incorrect.

Go back and read the Descriptions for the News Talkback and the Storm Forum. Lets face it, there is a difference between a Talkback and a Forum. The Talkback is responsive in style, while the Forum is analytical participation in a 'discussion' style - at least that is what was intended.

Rules and laws are only beneficial to those that are willing to follow them. They help to give structure and direction and a sense of social order. In that sense, CFHC is itself a structured society, and my preference is that you don't put everything into the News Talkback, because that will violate the concept of a Forum oriented site. If I can take the time to post an analysis of a developing system in the Storm Forum (where it correctly belongs) why can't you (a 'collective' you) take the time to go there to read it and comment on it (if you wish)?

Put things in the proper Forum whenever possible - many of the site Users actually like it that way. Most of the Forums that are in use today were established because Users asked for them. If someone places a great post on a historical storm in the Talkback page, it will soon be lost and forgotten. But if that same post is placed in the Hurricane History Forum it will always be there for seasoned site Users to quickly reference and for new site Users to easily review. Even this post would have been quickly overlooked if it had been placed in the News Talkback.

Users have asked for new Forums to cover things like MJO and ENSO discussions, but if I established a new Forum would you bother to use it, i.e., would you have the time and the inclination to use it when many don't seem to have the time or inclination to use the Forums that are already available?

I hope that this has helped. Remember the site is also structured in a manner that we enjoy using, and based on various inputs, I know that other Users feel the same way.

Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3126

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center