F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Devils advocate [Re: Unregistered User]
      #17768 - Wed Aug 04 2004 06:48 PM

I'm with you Phil, I'm not giving up yet.

I guess we're the Devils?

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Comedy Shop [Re: BillD]
      #17770 - Wed Aug 04 2004 07:28 PM

OK, just posted in the Comedy Shop...check it out.

Ed, you may now commence with the EDiting

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Comedy Shop [Re: LI Phil]
      #17771 - Wed Aug 04 2004 07:43 PM

I don't think you'd make it as a stand-up, but some of those were pretty good. My favorite was the one about the missing bottom half.

Bill

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Comedy Shop [Re: BillD]
      #17772 - Wed Aug 04 2004 07:48 PM

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Oh, they could have been a lot better, but I have to keep them PC or Ed will (rightfully) nuke 'em.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
carrots and hand grenades [Re: BillD]
      #17774 - Wed Aug 04 2004 08:20 PM

either bonnie is shy or a tropical wave impostor has had us all running around screaming. but of course take a look at the satelite shots and note that the general appearance of the system has remained steadily good, and is somewhat better this evening even.. and that the wave is sharp to a hairpin and only open due to forward motion.. and that south america is inducing drag on the low level component of the wave.. yeah, it's still on.
rabbit will either get a carrot... or the holy hand grenade of antioch. as for me, i've got the options from last night narrowed down a tad. the system is keeping south and far less likely to pull that extreme recurvature if it gets it's act going.. the possibilities as i see them now are as follows:
1) system plows westward and never develops. dull, emphatic, familiar. 20%
2) system develops or fades in and out, continues generally westward, ditches in central america early next week. 20%
3) system decelerates, develops and hangs at the base of the trough over the weekend, is drawn to higher latitude, then continues west as the ridge comes back. 40%
4) system rapidly intensifies, recurves from incredibly low latitude for august.. essentially bonnie is a streetwalker and the GFS is a digital pimp. 10%
i'm still of the mind that the system is going to be a tropical storm, and am thinking of it as a potential player down the road for some place in the SE united states. my ideas are contingent on the centroid feature of the disturbance near 13/64 becoming the future core. the south american coast is inducing drag on the surface system, probably causing an e-w orientation to develop on the formerly n-s wave axis.. i'm fairly sure it will cause a low to close off. the axis appears to be forward tilted now.. that is my evidence. even though upwelling on the southern fringe of the caribbean is traditionally a choking mechanism for storms, in this case the ill effect is likely mitigated by the drag effect of land. the big problem with this idea is the 700-850mb level flow, which will keep stacking from happening easily.. good, strong convection near the centroid will be needed to give it a start. lots of contengencies, but i still think bonnie is around the corner.
nuff of that. alex has a 5.0 rating, and that was earlier. 00Z-ish Dvorak should be even higher.. i think alex is major as we speak. very good presentation, system has gone well beyond what i thought reasonable. globals now feeding the energy into a frontal system, though i think higher than average north atlantic SSTs and current intensity will keep the system tropical through early saturday, and discrete from mid-latitude weather right up to the fringes of europe.
anyhow 92L behaving pretty much as expected. some convection persists, structure not decaying much.. and the system is getting closer to the solid support SSTs. some shear ahead, but it isn't racing in the deep easterly flow, so it should manage. potential player, currently near 16/38. some of the energy is getting to the north, but shear up there is too robust to allow organization.
not much else in the way of present potential. some clutter behind alex under residual ridging and with decent convergence.. will be in the sweet spot of baroclinic deepening in a couple days, but going north/northeast if anything. minor concern regardless.
the t.d. 2/91L forecast challenge is still up til 10PM, even though the system is 'open'. it isn't as open as it would need to be for all bets to be off. there was an issue with the forecast times i'll go clarify over on the forum now..
HF 0020z05august

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Aug 04 2004 08:22 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48475

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center