F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Random thoughts...
      #1875 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:36 PM

42001 Mid-Gulf dropped 5mb last hour. That's a pretty steep drop.

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

#1876 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:40 PM

Hurric,

Go to the NDBC and check out the Mid-Gulf buoy.

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Steve

Anonymous-Carl
Unregistered

#1877 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:42 PM

Hey Steve,
24 hour pressure falls are only a mb or so. What caught my attention was the pressure at the mid-gulf buoy fell from 29.98 to 29.93 in 1 hour this afternoon. We'll see what happens--btw has it been as windy today in N.O. as its been here in Baton Rouge?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1878 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:43 PM

42001 west. 40003 ese. at 30 kts. north of there east/north/east. game time everyone get up.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1879 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:48 PM

42001 w 29.93 42041 ene at 21 40003 ese at 30 kts. game time everone get up.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
      #1880 - Sat Aug 10 2002 10:53 PM

I think you all are getting a little carried away with this...hahaha. It will have to show me alot more than this before I will jump on the band wagon. This is nothing more than a bunch of storms with no organization that will more than likely stay that way until it is too late for anything to develop because it will be too close to land. Just my opinion.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1881 - Sat Aug 10 2002 11:02 PM

Yeah. Pretty breezy and hot here today. Just like yesterday, daytime East Wiinds 12-18 and a little gustier.

ShawnS,

I said yesterday either on here on HurricaneHollow/US Weatherwatchers (I think here) that Sunday was the day to watch. None of the models have done anything major, but a TD or minimal tropical storm is not out of the question. And if something happens, this is your neck of the woods. With the high nosing in, I doubt anything could just head north. It would have to be NW, WNW or W the way it looks RIGHT NOW. Of course what do I know except the Saints would be mauling the Texans tonight if this wasn't pre-season.

Steve

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #1882 - Sat Aug 10 2002 11:16 PM

First of all, I'm NOT a Texans fan. In fact,even though I know about pro football, my passion is COLLEGE FOOTBALL! I'm a huge SOONER FAN! The problem is that we seem to have gotton the "kiss of death" this year because we are picked by SI to be #1 and worst of all, we are on the cover of the college football preview issue that just came out. Anyway, my problem with this situation is that, at best, I see it as being just another waste of a name ( this is also how Joe B. refers to this type of situation). The remains of Bertha that came ashore down around Corpus only gave them about an inch of rain. Heck, we get more than that from just an afternoon shower around here. If anything is going to develop than at least let it be worth putting a name on it. I just think that IF anything does happen, it will be one of those where we will sit back afterwards and scratch our heads and wonder why this one didn't get going,either.

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #1883 - Sat Aug 10 2002 11:29 PM

The GFDL is still hinting on taking at least a TD N. around the Florida panhandle in apx. 60hrs.

The wave comming off of Africia looks impressive. The big question is, can it hold together. As mentioned in other previous post, the weather pattern is setting up. It would appear that we may have more systems forming on our back door. If the CapeVerde season doesn't get kicking in the next couple of weeks, I really feel that we will have more than average land falling systems this year. T. Leap

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #1884 - Sun Aug 11 2002 01:36 AM

Activity in the gulf is falling apart just like all the systems before it have done. Nothing significant will come from it.

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #1885 - Sun Aug 11 2002 01:49 AM

Looks like the low at 32W is getting some convection trying to form around the center.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The Return of Bertha
      #1886 - Sun Aug 11 2002 02:06 AM

If gulf makes a storm it will head north then north east as the front picks it up sorry big texas looks like ala or fl.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: The Return of Bertha
      #1887 - Sun Aug 11 2002 02:16 AM

The last I heard the front was not suppose to make it that far south. I guess, as usual, things have changed.

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #1888 - Sun Aug 11 2002 12:18 PM

Looks like the area to watch in the next few days is NE of PR. Where is Colleen?

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
      #1890 - Sun Aug 11 2002 03:05 PM

There is really nothing going on that is important in the near term...but the LONG TERM concerns me. The wave currently coming off of Africa has a SQUALL LINE ahead of it...many times these types of waves move very quickly across the Atlantic...that would mean warmer waters for this one could arrive quickly. I'd watch this one closley once it gets around 45-50 west, it could develop there or soon after. Looks like a good candidate for the first Cape Verde/western Atlantic storm of the year, possibly the first hurricane. Time will tell if this one wins or loses to subsidence.

I'd like to wish a happy birthday to our newest board member here, CYCLONEYE. I heard on another board today was his birthday, so I'd like to wish him a happy one today and many more after that.

Hey, wednesday is my birthday and I'll be 15! Maybe a nice little DOLLY would be good to go along with a piece of cake and a gift!
Take care and watch the tropics carefully,
Kevin

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1891 - Sun Aug 11 2002 04:22 PM

Agreed. A very happy birthday to Cycloneye - everyone's eye on the SW Atlantic. It surprises me that you're only 14 Kevin. You represent yourself as well or better than I do. Keep up the good work. I read all your posts.

You're right though. There's not a whole lot going on. I thought something might simmer in the NW Gulf today, but there are only some banding features and alot of rain off the LA coast in the Morgan City vicinity. The pressures throughout the Central and Western Gulf are pretty high. Most of the models want to develop something a couple hundred miles off the SE Coast and move it NNE in the next few days. There is also some convection down in the mid-Gulf, but it's just disturbed weather. I don't see a whole lot - except for some eventual showers for the Coast - down there. There is a wave moving into the islands that just started to blow up. But the Carib is pretty hostile for development. The only 3 places we can really expect to see anything of note over the next few days would be in the Gulf, off the SE Coast and in the Central-Eastern Atlantic. The only change up here is that the strong East winds are now shifting to the SE and rotating in some rain from the wave moving toward Texas.

Steve

Weather Master

Reged:
      #1892 - Sun Aug 11 2002 04:44 PM

I agree, it is time to start watching the w. atlantic. I also have at least one eye on the SE GOM. The buoy's are running high in this area, so I'm not going to get to excited until they start dropping and I see a spin. T.Leap

--------------------
TONI

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1893 - Sun Aug 11 2002 06:18 PM

anyone see a turning n/e gulf west of keys look close thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of that nasty NW Gulf rain is moving through here now.
      #1894 - Sun Aug 11 2002 06:19 PM

It's a 'big drop' thunderstorm with winds gusting to about 30mph. So the conditions weren't good enough for anything to develop tropically, but we're defintitely seeing the effects of what's just offshore. See:

http://weather.cod.edu/satellite/caribbean-ir.gif

I'd still expect to see some pretty heavy rainfall in SW LA and SE TX tomorrow if the front doesn't make it through. Look for 1-3" of rain in spots between Lafayette and Galveston. Maybe up to 2" in SE and SC LA today.

Steve

Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Some of that nasty NW Gulf rain is moving through here now.
      #1896 - Sun Aug 11 2002 08:10 PM

Looks like a big blob in the NW Central gulf but just not any orginization to go along with it. Even though it's not organized that does not mean your not going to get a lot of rain and damaging winds, it will also usually affect a larger area. Don't say good-by to it until it's inland and then you have watch for a UE.

Now on the other hand, the SE GOM looks like it is holding together and I can begin to see a little spin there. I checked the buoys and ship reports and they are reporting a slight pressure drop. I think that we really need to keep an eye on this area. Any comments on this area? T. Leap

--------------------
TONI

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: **
Topic views: 14425

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center