F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: going shopping... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #18882 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:50 AM

Quote:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what impact Charley woud likily have on flights out of TIA. I'm suppose to leave early Saturday morning to take my younger son to college.

No brainer, all flights cancelled if this track comes close to verifying. Furthermore, airlines quit sending planes into an affected area in advance because they dont want aircraft stuck and out of service or damaged. I suggest you either get in a car and leave today, not tomorrow or stick it out.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: Link to discussion [Re: Colleen A.]
      #18883 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:52 AM

Found it!, thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: going shopping... [Re: jth]
      #18884 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:52 AM

I do not think that was movement to the West. It appears to be pretty steady in its direction. Still looks like a Florida Storm to me, regardless..

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Charley vortex message [Re: Anonymous]
      #18885 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:54 AM

A quick message before I've got to go...looks like Charley's held his own but gained a 12 mi. wide eye in the process. Nothing spectacular, but he's on his way.

URNT12 KNHC 111223
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 11/1223Z
B. 16 DEG 19 MIN N
75 DEG 24 MIN W
C. 850 MB 1368 M
D. 55 KT
E. 299 DEG 08 NM
F. 062 DEG 76 KT
G. 301 DEG 007 NM
H. 995 MB
I. 17 C/ 1521 M
J. 21 C/ 1525 M
K. 16 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C12
N. 12345/8
O. 0.1/3.0 NM
P. AF968 0203A Charley OB 07
MAX FL WIND 76 KT NW QUAD 1221Z.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
West Movement [Re: jth]
      #18886 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:54 AM

I noticed that westward movement on the WV imagery. It could just be a jog, but the further west it goes before beginning to make that NW/N/NE turn could have a huge impact on what the Florida Gulf Coast gets. Forecasters here are saying it will be over the western tip of Cuba than into the extreme eastern GOM.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Re: going shopping... [Re: Anonymous]
      #18888 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:00 AM

I don't think it was a question that a jog to the west would not make it a Florida storm, but any divergence to the west would be important for this reason: where it crosses Cuba. If it passes through the middle of Cuba, it won't be a strong coming out, but if it just crosses the western tip of Cuba it's not going to make a big difference.

Also: the question asked about TIA and flights was a valid question. There are some people here who just lurk and don't know what effects a hurricane will have on other activities. It wasn't a "no brainer" it was a question that deserved a decent answer.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Re: Charley vortex message [Re: Clark]
      #18889 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:02 AM

Notice the position...Almost a full degree south of the current listed position. Looking at the sat pics it appeared to be south of where they had it. I could be wrong. I seem to remeber last year that you had to use some kind of formula to figure out the position from the Recon fix.

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: going shopping... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #18890 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

I don't think it was a question that a jog to the west would not make it a Florida storm, but any divergence to the west would be important for this reason: where it crosses Cuba. If it passes through the middle of Cuba, it won't be a strong coming out, but if it just crosses the western tip of Cuba it's not going to make a big difference.

Also: the question asked about TIA and flights was a valid question. There are some people here who just lurk and don't know what effects a hurricane will have on other activities. It wasn't a "no brainer" it was a question that deserved a decent answer.

Colleen,

I think the poster meant it was a no brainer for what the airport would do if a hurricane hit tampa. The poster was not implying it was a no-brainer of a question. The answer the poster received was decent and absolutely correct.

bobbi
Unregistered

bonnie was jealous... [Re: Anonymous]
      #18891 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:08 AM

never deny a girl storm of attention

shes getting it now

and she will pull Charley up right after her

Colleen A.

Re: Charley vortex message [Re: jth]
      #18892 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:09 AM

That NW wind report will more than likely give us Hurricane Charley at 11am. Don't you multiply knts by 1.15 to mph? I think 76 knots would be around 86-87 mph.

Here's something weird that just happened: I got a call from an 800 # and when I answered it said, "This is a call from the Florida Emergency Management (something or other) all lines are busy right now" and then they hung up. It was a recorded message. Do we here in Florida have that new advance warning system in place?

--------------------

bobbi
Unregistered

Re: going shopping... hey coleen [Re: Colleen A.]
      #18893 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:11 AM

how encouraging is it when you look at TWC forecast for 2 days from now and says "heavy wind and rains" and then 3rd day is "showers"

ummmm dont need a sat to see that one

good luck

Colleen A.

Re: going shopping... [Re: jlauderdal]
      #18894 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:13 AM

Yeah, it was. I jumped the gun on that one. I'm trying to get my kids out the door and they are not cooperating.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I did not mean it the way I typed it out.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: going shopping... [Re: jlauderdal]
      #18895 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:13 AM

Thank you all. I am a lurker, but a native of the Tampa Bay area, and I've seen many of these storms threaten but then the track changes....you guys know the drill. I'm curious as to how far in advance they'd suspend flights and how quickly they'd reopen them, but I realize that there are probably too many unknowns to answer any of that.

I guess at this point there's nothing we can do except continue to prepare for our trip, and add hurricane preparations to the long list of tasks. Driving is not an option as my son's college destination is California. Leaving early is also not an option....in addition to preparing my home for a possible storm, I'll need to prepare my parents' and sister's homes, as they are currently out of town.

Bleah!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Charley vortex message [Re: Colleen A.]
      #18896 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:13 AM

It was a call from Publix, they are running out of bread and bottled water.. LOL.. Seriously, I do not think so.. But then again you never know..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Emergency Management [Re: Colleen A.]
      #18897 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:14 AM

Yes Colleen I believe we do.

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Convergence of systems and timing [Re: jth]
      #18898 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:15 AM

Anybody whi really wants to follow how this will play out shoudld fix on the progress of the trough which is clearly seen on the water vapor...Based on what that demonstrates, I think Bonnie will make a sharper turn to the east than forecast meaning more ENE to E once it turns...
Charley's forecast track is totally up in the air I think, depends on speed of arrival for one thing, becaus it looks like a good sized ridge is develpoing behind this trough, and if the trough misses it anything goes.

--------------------
doug

Colleen A.

Re: going shopping... hey coleen [Re: bobbi]
      #18899 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:17 AM

Yeah, no kidding. People in Pasco County are already leaving (by boat) because they have had so much rain there already. My husband just called and said that the phosphate plant in Riverview is in emergency mode (like what the heck is that?) and they are extremely concerened about the Alafia River flooding into their plants there.

I told him this last night. He shook his head like a bobble head because he was watching "Sea Biscuit".

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a good time to start crying "Wolf" [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #18900 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:17 AM

Toho,

Not a good idea at this time...even if meant as a joke...
This is how panic is perpetuated.

Colleen A.

Re: Emergency Management [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #18901 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:19 AM

Ok, than it was probably a test. Jeez. I need to step away and tend to Thing 1 and Thing 2. FOFLOL.......those would be my boys.

--------------------

St. David
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Convergence of systems and timing [Re: doug]
      #18902 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:22 AM

Am I the only one that beleives that Bonnie will go more towards Alabama then Florida? Just a gut feeling that the storm won't be effected as much by the cold front as everyone thinks. Plus I don't see the front moving very fast. now if I still don't see a turn NE by 3 today im going to start

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 25154

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center