F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Pages: 1
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
GOMEX and FLORIDA ?
      #1984 - Thu Aug 15 2002 02:19 AM

OK, some one has to go first so it might as well be me. When a met refers to the GOM residents or Gulf States they seem to separate Florida? I have heard many times for instance, all the Gulf States should keep an eye on this system including Florida residents. Would we not be a part of the East GOM? I am at a point that when I hear some one talking about the GOM but they don't specifically mention Florida then I don't anticipate us being at risk or affected by the storm in question. Can someone please explain why there is a separation made? T. Leap

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Here's my take...
      #2000 - Thu Aug 15 2002 06:53 PM

When I hear the term "Gulf Coast", I think of Mississippi. When we were kids, every vacation was on the Gulf Coast. That might have been anywhere from Waveland/Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs.

Florida has so much coastline that it's pretty much an entity unto itself. I guess the term Gulf Coast often refers to SE LA, MS, AL and NW FL. But in reality, it runs practically from Florida City all the way around to Brownsville.

When a storm is heading toward the (northern) Gulf Coast, there's also the chance that it will stall or take the NE curve while over water. Anyone to the right of the storm can be at risk. So anyone from Tampa around to Pensacola/Perdido Key needs to be included in advisories.

For the official answer, you probably ought to e-mail NHC/TPC and get their take (if they have one).

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: Here's my take...
      #2005 - Fri Aug 16 2002 10:17 AM

Hey Steve thanks for your answer.

Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Anonymous
Unregistered

Channel 2 and Channel 4 Imagery
      #2007 - Fri Aug 16 2002 02:36 PM

Can someone please explain to me what the differences are in the IR imagery with the two different channels. I know why I like the Channel 2 when trying to see if something is really developing but I don't know why that is so. What and how do they differ? Does one pick up upper clouds whereas one picks up lower clouds? Can someone please explain how they differ and when someone should use the various satelitte imagery. I've always wondered but never asked and thought this would be the best place to do so.

Thanks.

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

Re: Channel 2 and Channel 4 Imagery
      #2036 - Sat Aug 17 2002 08:13 PM

i think they basically give you the same info, just using different false-color schemes.. IR2 imagery is especially useful at night since the movement of low clouds is almost as apparent as with daytime visibles. IR4 false colors are more distinct and are niftier for telling cloud top temperatures.. convective intensity and such. i personally use IR2 more often.. visible by day, IR2 by night.. to see if convection is distorting or curving the wind field at lower levels.
HF 2013z17august

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Channel 2 and Channel 4 Imagery
      #2041 - Sat Aug 17 2002 11:10 PM

Actually, you were pretty close! Try this:
GOES Satellite Channels - Colorado State

Cheers,
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3799

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center