F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing
      #19978 - Fri Aug 13 2004 04:30 PM

9PM
Center of Charley over downtown Orlando. Orlando International Airpot (MCO) reported a windgust at 105MPH.

Original Update
Quick new topic. Hurricane Charley was upgraded to a Category 4 system with 145, and it has made landfall north of Ft. Myers

This brings the track over or near Olrando and east central Florida.

The site is overloaded now, and we'll run as best we can. Folks in the path would do better to listen to local media at this point. Feel free to ask questions and let us know what's happening in your area.

For us, the first rainband from Charley is approaching New Smyna Beach now, and I'm overlooking the halifax river, and south causeway and see the huge clouds looming in the west.

And there are two new depressions in the gulf, and one of them we will want to watch for next weekend....

Currently the National Hurricane Center has what I consider the best bet.

* site note * our automatic tracking map has been disabled temporarily due to a crash issue with the map generation program. Due to high usage, the site will be slow. We are hitting records well beyond Floyd numbers.

Event RelatedLinks
Hurricane City is having live audio and video broadcasts throughout the day on Bonnie/Charley and Jim's Audio show is from 8PM to 11PM EST
All model "Spaghetti" for Bonnie/Charlie from hurricanealley
Another Multi-Model Track plot for Charley

General Links
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL

Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,
Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: MikeC]
      #19982 - Fri Aug 13 2004 04:42 PM

my best friend was ment to be flying home today, but i should imagine all flights have been cancelled, when would the flights be up and running again?

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: Anonymous]
      #19983 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:01 PM

It depends on the amount of damage at the airports effected by Charley, I'd imagine.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Flights [Re: Anonymous]
      #19984 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:02 PM

Heard on CBS radio up here that the airlines would try to resume flights by tomorrow...and if you had a ticket TO Fla, they'll refund your money if you want to change your vacation plans.

BTW, even up here, Charley is the TOP news story.

Just heard the Governor of either NC or SC has called for a state of emergency in preparation for Charley.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Flights [Re: LI Phil]
      #19985 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:09 PM

Here Smack Dab in Polk County, North West of the eye of Charley so far. We are calm, had a shower a while ago. There is no wind. We are facing whatever remains of Charley after dark, which is something I was hoping would not happen. I was hoping to be able to see the wind and debris so I would know which way to duck. But, we will survive. Can anyone who has some experience, tell us amateurs/novices what to realistically expect from the angle polk county is to this storm. The wind fields could change a great deal after being inland for 70 miles. Also is there a clear direction now that the eye is headed in? Thanks.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Flights [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #19986 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:10 PM

I did not see the new thread. Wanted to slap this on here as well.

The reporter for NBC2 in Fort Myers was in Port Charlotte
and wasn't expecting much at first, but then when it made
that move a little more north he is now getting a direct hit. He
said Charley, which is moving right up Charlotte Harbor, is
completely destroying Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. He
said the water level is down 4 to 5 feet being just sucked out
of the Harbor. God help him when he gets the back end.

The guy's name Todd and he is in the eye right now reporting
live from the eye of a Category 4 hurricane. Amazing.

BTW, get ready to do this all again, the system east of the
islands is going to be TD5 at 5PM, and the GFDL has a 95KT
hurricane south of Cuba in a couple of days.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Edited by WeatherNLU (Fri Aug 13 2004 05:11 PM)

Michelle
Unregistered

Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: Anonymous]
      #19987 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:16 PM

Hey Anonymous, I would just get on line with your friend's airline or airport to find out specific flight status. I had one friend fly out of Miami today and two more are coming in later but it's nothing down here-25 kts and cloudy with no rain.

There's two more depressions poised to become storms in the next 24 hours-tracking could get exhausting this week. Really hope everybody on the west coast and central FL are OK.

Michelle
longtime lurker-probably registered but can't remember password

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Flights [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #19988 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:17 PM

Here in Orlando...all is calm...however, by the looks of things it won't be for long. This was NOT the forcast I heard this morning!!! The local media is calling for winds of close to 100 mph in about 2 hours...i will check in later...

AmateurJohn
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Highlands County, FL
Re: Flights [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #19989 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:24 PM

ABC Channel 28 in Tampa is having great coverage of Charley. Their meteorologist is the best I've ever seen. They've had a reporter in Punta Gorda at Charlotte Harbor all along. Imagine how surprised he was when Charley took his last-minute turn. Somehow he's managed to maintain telephone contact with the station and has continued his reporting from inside a Holiday Inn right on the Harbor. In his last report he said the eye went right over his head and as he was talking, the winds started back up from the opposite direction. He was planning to stay on the 2nd floor, but part of the roof blew off and he was forced back to the 1st floor. Now he's worried about the storm surge. He definitely sounded worried. Everyone's waiting to hear back from him.

A few minutes ago, 28 had another telephone report from a Port Charlotte resident. He lives in a manufactured home a 2 minute run from the harbor. He said his family was in a closet inside the house. He also saw the eye pass over his head and was getting a bit more concerned as the wind picked up again. As he was beginning to describe his concern about the storm surge, his voice turned into pure terror and he said "Gotta go now. Gotta go." That was so scarey. I hope he and his family are OK.

Charley is now just about due west of us, going through Arcadia now. We've had steady rain for about 45 minutes and the wind has picked up quite a bit. I'd guess 30-40mph wind. It looks like we'll miss the worst of it, but we will continue to keep our eyes and ears peeled.

--------------------
Lake Placid - 27.3N 81.3W

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Flights [Re: AmateurJohn]
      #19990 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:28 PM

SW Orlando here. (Near Hunter's Creek) Big storm moving in, lightning bolt just struck a couple of blocks away. Lights are starting to flicker.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Arcadia FL [Re: AmateurJohn]
      #19991 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:31 PM

Local WPB channel 5 TV broadcaster is reporting live from Arcadia which is right now in the eyewall. He is reporting that the only shelter in Arcadia has just lost its roof. There were 300 people there as of 1 pm, mostly from the local trailer parks.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Stormhound... [Re: StormHound]
      #19992 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:31 PM

Huge big bad feeder band is on top of you right now (if you didn't know that). Be safe, hope your power stays on.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Highest Winds [Re: LI Phil]
      #19993 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:36 PM

Highest wind reported so far, 127 mph gust at Punta Gorda.

--------------------
Another typical August:

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Polk County [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #19994 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:39 PM

I don't know if the winds are supposed to be east of us now or west of us now or right over us. 2 hours ago, we were supposed to get the brunt. An hour ago, my husband came in and said we were gonna miss it. I don't know what the margin of error is, but Charley is a pain in the BUTT.

By the way, I am in south Lakeland about 10 miles north of Bartow.

I heard that report on ABC 28 and I feel so sorry for those people. Dennis was practically pulling his hair out with Don Germaise in Punta Gorda, telling him to GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

The wind is definitely picking up, as is the rain. I imagine we are beginning to get whatever it is we are going to get.

Stay safe.....

Colleen

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Polk County [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19995 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:45 PM

Thanks, Phil. Power still on at the moment.

Colleen. They just announced the storm should move into Orlando as still at Cat 2. Seems like that would put you on the west side of the storm, missing the eye not by much.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Palm Bay
Re: Polk County [Re: StormHound]
      #19996 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:55 PM

Rockledge here, just a stones throw from cocoa. It feels very weird here, wind gusts, bursts of rain and then suddenly dead quiet. I thank everyone for the help list, we are well stocked now. Thank you. I am so thankful for this site and everyone posting. Thank you for keeping it up. Knowledge is power and as impotent as that power is against Charley, its still better than blind ignorance. I am going to try to stay on and let everyone know what happens out this way. My prayers are with everyone in the path of this monster.
Godspeed to all.
MomFischer

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Re: Polk County [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19997 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:56 PM

Hi Colleen,

The eye is just entering Hardee County, Polk county is the next stop. It seems to be moving just a bit E of due north now. Looks like the eye will be just barely to your east and I mean barely. However you may ride the west side of the eyewall.

--------------------
Another typical August:

Chatty

Reged: Thu
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: MikeC]
      #19998 - Fri Aug 13 2004 05:57 PM

Hello all. I am the new kid on the block here. I work for the Department of Fire Programs. We are buttoning down our hatches here in Richmond, Virginia. Though we do not expect to be hit by Charley, we are looking for the winds and rain to do some major damage. We have had soooooo much rain lately, that Chrley would only but push a hugh tree litely, and down it comes. Flooding is another issue for us. Lots of low land that will bound to be hit hard with water.

"Damn the topedos! Full speed ahead everyone!"

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Tornadoes [Re: Chatty]
      #19999 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:01 PM

Tornado Warnings have been numerous across Central Florida, had one for our county earlier as a band of Tornadic Thunderstorms moved through. Funnel clouds were reported in my local area, and conditions got real rough for a time. I think we actually had a funnel cloud pass very close by. Right now, we are about to go through a second band of thunderstorms, but otherwise, just drizzle and calm winds, but thats going to be changing.

BTW Colleen, like the likening of the weather radio to a batphone, your batphone must have been going off like crazy.

Edited by Jamiewx (Fri Aug 13 2004 06:09 PM)

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: Chatty]
      #20000 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:05 PM

Weather report from Northwest Orange County

Heavy rain, but it's coming straight down. Occasional wind gust.

What are we getting from other places?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41826

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center