F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
rjp
Unregistered

South Carolina [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20001 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:06 PM

I live in Charleston and SC Governor Sanford declared a state of emergency and there are mandatory evacuations for Georgetown and Horry counties that are East of US-17.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Polk County [Re: Colleen A.]
      #20002 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:07 PM

Don't mean to be a bringer of bad news, but we could be in for more action next week......

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200405_5day.html

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/WATL/IR4/20.jpg

This looks like it's going to be a rough season!! ALLL of US on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts need to be prepared this time of year!

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Arcadia FL Update [Re: rjp]
      #20003 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:10 PM

(See previous post too). The roof of the only shelter in Arcadia has come off. The actual amount of people in the shelter at the time of roof collapse was 1,245!! People are reported being trapped. Officials have not been able to get out to the scene at this time.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Arcadia FL Update [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #20004 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:17 PM

Just saw on the WKMG-TV website that two people were killed and a number of people were trapped on the Bee Line Expressway (FL 528) in a possible storm-related wreck...

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing [Re: MikeC]
      #20005 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:19 PM

Ft. Myers post office lost its roof, along with other buildings.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
close to home [Re: SirCane]
      #20006 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:21 PM

my grandparents are sitting in my living room right now. they were up here on other business, but kinda glad they're not down at home right now.. from bartow, in polk county. i have an elderly aunt and uncle who live in the vast strip mine/ranch land in western hardee county.. eye is just thirty minutes to their south. one is 90 and lives alone.. i'm not encouraged. wondering if my grandparents are going to have a habitable home to return to... center should move close to or over bartow in about an hour or an hour and a half. lots of stuff to wreck in polk county.. manufactured homes and trailers... i have more relatives up near orlando.. for once my post is quite personal.
i'm thinking Charley will exit the state up near palm coast or st. augustine.. probably a much weaker storm for the carolinas.
first time in a while we've seen a hurricane on a rapid strengthening spike come ashore.. pressure dropped from a mild 969mb when i left for work this morning to 941 at landfall.. heinous.
t.d. 4 out near the cape verdes is way out there and developing early.. therefore it's long-term chances of making it across are low.
t.d. 5 is from the bonnie/charley school of thought. interesting to see that it's being assigned a cookie-cutter track right through the same stomping grounds of it's predecessors. not even funny.. but it has a ways to go for that to play out.
minor potential for development in the central atlantic near 30/60. watching with detached interest. bonnie still at hpc depression being tracked offshore.. looks extratropical to me. splattered.
i'm very irked. buckle down hardee/polk/osceola.. orlando metro. lots of wind coming. friday the 13th.
HF 2221z13august

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Early Rain Band [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #20007 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:23 PM Attachment (371 downloads)

Here is a pic I took of the first rainband as it rolled over Casselberry (20 miles N of Orlando) around 3pm. As of right now (6:22PM), we are in the midst of a second, far stronger rainband with torrential rains and a lot of thunder...but not much wind.

Lou

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Early Rain Band [Re: recmod]
      #20008 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:28 PM

Got a question about the wind speed.

WFTV is saying the winds are down to 80 mph. That seems awfully quick to go from a category four to nearly a tropical storm. I mean, that is a 60 mph decrease in an hour and a half since landfall???? Hugo hit South Carolina with winds of 150, I believe, and then hit Charlotte with 110 mph winds 200 miles inland. Donna hit the same area and hit Orlando with 90-100 mph winds.

Could this be acurate?

recmod
Weather Guru

#20009 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:28 PM Attachment (347 downloads)

Here is a picture I just took 5 minutes ago of the torrential rain pounding my house in Casselberry as we speak. Some flooding of the streets and ground is already beginning. We are in for a LONG nite. Officials are forecasting 95 mph SUSTAINED at my location around 10 pm tonite.

--Lou

Chad
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Citrus County, Fla.
      #20010 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:46 PM

At 20 miles east of Cedar Key we dodged the bullet...apparently.
Currently an extreme outer band is producing some rain and no wind.
Forecast for tonight is 40-45mph with gusts to 85.

As I've been telling my family and neighbors...it's never a waste of time to prepare...regardless of where the storm goes.

(hope this doesn't post twice...first time had an error msg)

La Girl
Unregistered

Ominous Picture [Re: recmod]
      #20012 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:50 PM

My first post this year. I am so praying hard for everyone's safety. Reports we are seeing are as one would imagine for a Cat 4! Stay safe, and God be with you all going through. Looks like it is taking a jog north??? Was that projected? Lou your picture shows the fury for sure!

Kimmie

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Early Rain Band [Re: alan]
      #20013 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Got a question about the wind speed.

WFTV is saying the winds are down to 80 mph. That seems awfully quick to go from a category four to nearly a tropical storm. I mean, that is a 60 mph decrease in an hour and a half since landfall???? Hugo hit South Carolina with winds of 150, I believe, and then hit Charlotte with 110 mph winds 200 miles inland. Donna hit the same area and hit Orlando with 90-100 mph winds.

Could this be acurate?

Doesn't sound right to be, but I've been seeing all sorts of wierd wind reports. One station is reporting we'll see Cat 2 winds in Orlando, another says 75mph winds. I've got no idea who's right. I'm not sure *they* know.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Re: Ominous Picture [Re: La Girl]
      #20014 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:56 PM

Looks like Orlando is gonna get the worst of it tonight. Was listening to WDBO-AM's stream and just now the EAS tone popped in and they're under a TORNADO WARNING for Southern Lake County, Orange County and NW Osceola County for damaging winds of 100mph until 745pm. They also siad the leading edge of the eyewall should be hitting in about 45 minutes. The NWS manager in Orlando said Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Orlando and the attractions area will feel the brunt until 9pm

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Ominous Picture [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #20016 - Fri Aug 13 2004 06:59 PM

Quote:

Looks like Orlando is gonna get the worst of it tonight. Was listening to WDBO-AM's stream and just now the EAS tone popped in and they're under a TORNADO WARNING for Southern Lake County, Orange County and NW Osceola County for damaging winds of 100mph until 745pm. They also siad the leading edge of the eyewall should be hitting in about 45 minutes. The NWS manager in Orlando said Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Orlando and the attractions area will feel the brunt until 9pm

I just got the warning via e-mail. Looks like past 9pm.
THE THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND TORNADOES WILL LAST THROUGH 9 PM
OR LONGER.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Re: Ominous Picture [Re: StormHound]
      #20017 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:26 PM

Just to change gears a bit, But the Weather Channel is reporting mandatory evacuations in Horry County, SC east of US 17. This would include the entire city of Myrtle Beach. Also US 501 will be changed to all westbound, looks like that they're thinking that Charley once it's out in the Atlantic will head their way....any ideas what the projected path is for it's Atlantic route?

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Disney under the gun... [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #20018 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:36 PM

Folks in Orlando should expect this bad boy to arrive about 9:15-9:30ish, but there are some serious feeder bands/concentric winds to arrive in short order. Hope you are all OK! Watch out for the tornadoes in these bands.

Just now getting some awesome footage of what has taken place earlier.

Hope everyone is doing OK..

Peace out and godspeed to all,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Tanbark
Unregistered

#20019 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:37 PM

Jeff, I'm in Murrell's Inlet, just south of Myrtle. Too early to see anything here. We even had the sun out for a moment this afternoon...as you say, the tourons are bailing, along with some locals...we'll see...

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #20020 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:39 PM

Just look at the 5 PM EDT NHC 3 day forecast, a picture is worth a thousand words... but It takes Charley out over water, and then back on shore right around the SC/NC border.

Bill

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Disney under the gun... [Re: LI Phil]
      #20021 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:39 PM

Thanks Phil,
I'm 25 miles North of Disney and its raining but fairly calm here.
Strange to be 50 miles from a Cat 1 or low 2 and not be seeing any trop storm winds. Possible that the eye will pass within 10 miles of me. If so, I expect conditions to get bad for an hour or so.

Will let you know how it goes if I don't loose power.

spookmcg

Reged: Fri
Re: close to home -- storm report [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20022 - Fri Aug 13 2004 07:42 PM

Talked to a friend in the Venice/Englewood area just north of Port Charlotte. Took his parents to a shelter, but they're back home now. Very little damage. Didn't see any trees down. Some string that he had left in their patio after tying stuff down was still in the same place. Electricty okay. Didn't note any storm surge. Pretty darn lucky! And I'm quite relieved that there will be limited impact (hopefully) in Gainesville, as there are alot of trees around my house that cause me concern....
Sue McG

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center