F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #20048 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:32 PM

Here in Palm Bay, we're getting the 1st of the nasty weather. It's getting gusty and raining pretty good. Everyone in the Orlando/Orange County area, please stay safe.

God Bless

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: charlie [Re: DMFischer]
      #20049 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:33 PM

While I would not call this storm a joke in any manner, I have been really surprised at how close to the center we had to get before we got any winds. I live northwest of Orlando and we just started getting gusty winds. The talk leading up to this storm had tropical storm force winds up to 100 miles was from the center. I don't think I've gotten tropical storm force winds except for about five minutes during the first squall. I'm sure I'll get more, but I'm pretty sure if you're not 30 miles close to the center, it's not going to be worse than an afternoon thunderstorm. Those near the center are going through hell, and I don't underestimate the power of that.
I'm just surprised at how small the wind radius is. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable might be able to discuss why the wind radius became so small.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: Floridacane]
      #20050 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:35 PM

According to the Weather Channel....preliminary reports from Captiva Island....160 homes destroyed and another 160 damaged....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: charlie [Re: alan]
      #20051 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:40 PM

The wind radius was always really small - it's just that the focus for a potential landfall point has always been so large due to the track Charley took. Charlie's a storm like Andrew - very small, but cutting a path like no other through where the eyewall goes.

Latest obs at OIA on the SE side of Orlando have sustained winds just under tropical storm force. My parents live on the SW side of Orlando and are feeling the effects as we speak. Transformers just blew a few miles south of downtown and power will likely go out to the majority of Orlando in the not-so-distant future. Winds are still way up there and any microburst is going to bring down 80+ kt winds - as recorded from the Melbourne radar - to the surface and wreak havoc.

South Orange/North Osceola Cos. have been under tornado warnings three separate times for four tornadoes today, and the threat of tornadoes remains throughout the evening. The center is about to cross into Osceola Co. and pass very near or over Disney. Orlando looks in line for a direct hit. Though it's dark, Orlandoweather.com has live cameras from downtown Orlando and north of Orlando at the Ch. 2 studios...there may be some interesting photos in the next couple of hours.

From there, Daytona Beach looks to be under the gun. This storm has very nearly followed US 17 up the state and I imagine a drive down that road will be very, very telling in the weeks and months to come. The islands - Sanibel, Captiva - may be uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. Many, many people were spared this evening, but many others have seen their lives affected permanently. I can only hope that my parents and all of my friends in Orlando can make it through the storm relatively unprepared and ultimately undamaged.

If you're reading this from the Orlando area, get offline and turn off the electricity to all non-essential items. It's the smart thing to do and can help save your property in the long run. This is a very serious and dangerous situation, and I cannot emphasize that enough.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #20052 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:42 PM

I am in Polk County and we were on the Western side of the eyewall. This storm was fierce. I am not able to estimate the winds but there will definitely be some wind damage, flooding and people in poorly constructed buildings or just catching the wind at the wrong angle will have had problems. IT is dark out and we will have to wait til morning to assess what really happened here. But there has been a storm. After a while the wind blows so long and so hard it does not matter how intense the wind is, something will give.
The barometric pressure is very intense when this storm is approaching. Thankfully it is mercifully short.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Aunt Debbie S

Loc: Upstate NY
charlie/ORlando [Re: Clark]
      #20053 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:49 PM

Thank you for posting this info,... I have a neice in a hotel one mile from disney,... we are looking for any info we can get,... we talked to her about an hour ago,... we're from Upstate NY,( so is she) so we are very worried, and your knowledgeable info is appreciated.
I'll continue to read for updates.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Loc: cocoa beach
Cape Canaveral report [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20054 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:51 PM

Getting windier. Not much rain yet, excpet for earlier in the first big band...Wind has really starte dto pick up in the last 30 minutes...

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20055 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:51 PM

According to WKMG's web site a report of about 100 people in Lake Wales in Polk County were injured from Charley. So far all I've heard is 2 fatalities today and they were from traffic accidents.2 roof collapses in Charlotte County according to the Weather Channel. And looking at the radar now on TWC, looks like downtown Orlando is getting the eyewall now.

(Further update from Polk County for the 100 injury report, according to the PIO of Polk County, it was at a nursing home)

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Fri Aug 13 2004 08:55 PM)

troy2
Storm Tracker

Loc: cocoa beach
Re: Cape Canaveral report [Re: troy2]
      #20056 - Fri Aug 13 2004 08:54 PM

rain mixing in with the wind..wind changing direction a bit...more south now it seems

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Impressive Wind [Re: troy2]
      #20057 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:02 PM

Charley is certainly not a cyclone to be underestimated, impressive video has been shown on local tv (Channel 9) of the news reporter being held up by the wind, as she tried to fall into it. Clearly, this storm still has potential for destruction.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Impressive Wind [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20058 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:10 PM

Did you happen to see what steve lyons said about the TV crew in Port Charlotte.
They were filming at the water's edge in winds so high they had to kneel down.
Steve Lyons said "those guys don't have any business being outside in that with a landfalling hurricane"
Next time they showed the same crew they were doing a live shot and got pounded by a large amount of 20 ft long pvc water pipe. Everything hit the ground, camera and all.
Steve lost his "cool" on that crew, never saw him get mad before.
**Folks if Charley is still south of you. Stay at home or in a safe building. You can't see tornadoes, fallen tress and wires at night.**

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: Impressive Wind [Re: danielw]
      #20059 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:14 PM

Orlando International just gusted to 105 mph!!!!!!

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Danny-boy [Re: danielw]
      #20060 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:17 PM

Good observations...

>>> Steve Lyons said "those guys don't have any business being outside in that with a landfalling hurricane

I'm not going to bash TWC ATTM, but the regulars know my feelings on SL. To me, it seems he never met a hurricane he'd run from. Gimme the late John Hope or even Jon Nese

Hoping all your friedls and family are safe...

I remain,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

danielwAdministrator

Re: Impressive Wind [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #20061 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:18 PM

Just checked the Tampa and Melbourne radar base velocity products. They are both showing 97kt winds from the center.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #20062 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:30 PM

I was on the road all day today and didn't get to check or monitor the progress of Charley.... The radio just doesn't cut it.... you'd get about a 1 minute update every hour or so....I just read about 150 or so posts... what a great venue to get the feel of what happened, and thought of posters directly involve with the storm.... I tried to post last night but couldn't... not sure why... I just hope the damage is not too bad.... I'm sure the recovery is under way as I write this.... at least for the areas that have alread been hit... there is still some seriously bad weather left with this system

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: MikeC]
      #20063 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:52 PM

quickly...

Situation deteriorating at NSB, wind gusts getting higher. Power flickering.

WESH tv (Channel 2) has audio only, no video signal.
WFTV (Channel 9) has power and radar (but on backup)
WKTS (Channel 6) has backup power and NO radar

Probably last update as its getting rough here. Good luck all.

danielwAdministrator

Re: Impressive Wind [Re: Frank P]
      #20064 - Fri Aug 13 2004 09:53 PM

FLORIDA REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL
900 PM EDT FRI AUG 13 2004
http://weather.cod.edu/danatext.html

SANFORD HVY RAIN 76 73 91 E36G45 29.75F FOG
ORLANDO EXEC HVY RAIN 73 72 94 E54G70 29.39F FOG
ORLANDO INTL HVY RAIN 73 73 100 E61G83 29.33F VSB 1/2

Edited by danielw (Fri Aug 13 2004 09:55 PM)

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #20065 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:23 PM

Well, we just went through the center of Charley here in Casselberry (25 miles N of Orlando). Winds were extremely severe for over an hour (local mets measured 80-90mph in my home-town). The wind has now died down considerably, tho the rain is still very heavy. Through the storm, we hunkered down in a hallway, hearing loud thumps strike the walls and roof of my house repeatedly.
With the storm lessening, I just went outside to check out the damage. I was stunned by the severity. I no longer have a fence around the pool in my backyard. Large trees are down all around, some uprooted, others snapped off. Shingles from a neighbor's house are strewn all over the street. The rain was torrential...and much of my neighborhood is knee-deep in water. While I was outside, a transformer in the next street exploded...sounded like repeated rifle shots with bright blue flashing. Surprisingly, I did not lose the electricity. All the power lines in my immediate neighborhood are underground. Historically, we have been very lucky to keep power in even the most extreme storms.
As I write this, the winds have picked up again, though not as intense as earlier. All in all, we were very lucky with Charley. The house structure is intact....though one window leaked quite badly. I'll upload some damage pics in the morning when the sun comes up.

--Lou

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
NOAA Weather Radio [Re: recmod]
      #20066 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:29 PM

Does anyone know if the Orlando Weather Radio transmitter is damaged or out of service, because i am not picking up the station now.

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: NOAA Weather Radio [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20067 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:33 PM

Danielle just got named...
TD#4

The reports out of SW Fla. are really heartbreaking...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 277 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41836

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center