F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: NOAA Weather Radio [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20068 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:38 PM

Based on the above report. I would guess it was without power or Tower. Where is it located?
*ps:I hope you have good surge protectors in your homes. Underground power lines are good, but somewhere down the line they get their power from overhead and that's where most of the surges start.
Good luck!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Some reports.... [Re: BabyCat]
      #20069 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:39 PM

A good friend and amateur radio buddy of mine is the Chief Engineer of the Clear Channel radio group here in Panama City...he is currently en route to Montgomery, AL to pick up 4 FM radio transmitters, then he is headed south to Punta Gorda.

4 of the 5 Clear Channel station in Ft Myers are off the air, the fifth is running fractional power. The studios have no roof. (they are located in Punta Gorda). There is currently no public service of any type there, No lights, no phone, no water, no gas. According to thee Chief Engineer there, there is little left in the area around his studios. The only way that the station could communicate their plight to the outside world was the weak fractional signal they they had left on their remaining transmitter...

It is going to be a long time before some areas recover down there...the thoughts and prayers of me and my family go out to all of you that were in, or are in the path.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: NOAA Weather Radio [Re: danielw]
      #20070 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:40 PM

If the power goes out, i think the weather radio still has a backup mode it goes into, you can usually hear a double beep in the background of the broadcast.

Winds gusting quite a bit here now, still pretty strong, but no damage as of yet, and we still have power, although i am told the city next to us is without power.

Edited by Jamiewx (Fri Aug 13 2004 10:41 PM)

Aunt Debbie S

Reged: Fri
Loc: Upstate NY
Re: NOAA Weather Radio [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20071 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:44 PM

Would these problems also result in loss of cellular phone service?
Any damage reports out of Orlando?
How can I find news from there?

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: Some reports.... [Re: wxman007]
      #20072 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:48 PM

I was listening to one Clear Channel earlier but no more.
I have been watching ABC-7 stream. They have some footages taken of Punta Gorda earlier. Horrible. Haven't heard alot of Port Charlotte but what I have heard is quite sad.

I hope I have heard the worst and the news won't get sadder.

At least Danielle is suppose to only antagonize the fish...

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Some reports.... [Re: BabyCat]
      #20073 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

At least Danielle is suppose to only antagonize the fish...

Not TD 5 I don't believe, unfortunately.

danielwAdministrator

Re:Local Storm Reports [Re: Aunt Debbie S]
      #20074 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:55 PM

melbourne office local reports
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/cgi-bin/productviewer.php?product=LSRMLB&version=0

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Orlando report [Re: MikeC]
      #20075 - Fri Aug 13 2004 10:55 PM

My parents live in SW Orlando, about 2 miles east of Sea World. They went through the northern eyewall and into what was left of Charlie's eye. Their power flickered for a long time before finally going out as the eye passed. No significant damage in their area - a few gutters down on some houses, small trees blown over, plants uprooted - but they live in a relatively new area without many trees to topple.

I have a friend who lives a few miles NE of there in south Orlando (specifically, Edgewood). He's reporting many, many trees down, with transformers blowing continually all over town. A couple of trees have fallen on his house without causing major damage, but others nearby aren't so lucky. A couple of houses have been destroyed it appears, and power has been out there for a long time now. They were lucky in that the trees that went down missed most of their property. He quoted that his brother had a window that, on the horizon, 6 trees blocked the view. Now, only one of those 6 are left standing.

Trying to get ahold of my friend who has family on the east side of town, near the airport, as that appears to be where the worst damage occured. No word on there yet, though. Airport recorded a 105mph gust with sustained winds at 70mph for a significant period of time. Pressure was falling rapidly - 15mb in 20min by my estimation - before that sensor went out. They had to change to automated obs, but at least their station stayed on - not many others further south did.

U.S. 17 is going to be the focus for much of the damage, and it is not going to be pretty. Those with no business in the area should stay away for the next few weeks, as the clean up will be long. Between Punta Gorda and the Kissimmee area, the towns are small but mobile homes dot the landscape. It is not a highly developed area, but has residents spread about the countryside. Many of these residences are not built well and I expect there will be reports of thousands of homes destroyed along Charley's path.

Tower cams in Orlando and on the north side are showing many areas - save those with generators - out of power. The main power plant for Orlando (that I know of, at least) is on the southeast side of town and experienced the full force of Charley's wrath. Power may be out to residents served by that plant for several days, especially if there are other impediements - as there are sure to be - across the town.

The center of Charley looks to pass offshore near or just north of Daytona Beach in the next couple of hours. Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, and New Smyrna look to be under the gun for some high winds and 3"/hr rainfall rates for the immediate future. More thoughts on its future later...

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Re: Some reports.... [Re: wxman007]
      #20076 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:16 PM

Ormond Beach north mainland here - power has finally gone and eye seems to be close, probably just south of us. I'm on power back-up, so can't post anything long.

Aunt Debbie S

Reged: Fri
Loc: Upstate NY
Re:Local Storm Reports [Re: danielw]
      #20077 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:17 PM

I just found an online radio station in Orlando that is giving reports from all over the state,.... you can listen online:
http://580wdbo.com
then click on the listen link,... you have to sign up, then you can listen. It's AM 580 WDBO radio)
Very thorough interviews

danielwAdministrator

Re:Charley [Re: Aunt Debbie S]
      #20078 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:25 PM

As best I can tell without a better map. Charley crossed at or over Disney World and is moving along Interstate 4. Looks to be close to Daytona at this time. 03:25Z
Ormand Beach is a better guess. Seems to be slanted southward a bit, from the bottom to the top.

Edited by danielw (Fri Aug 13 2004 11:28 PM)

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re:Charley [Re: danielw]
      #20079 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:32 PM

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but...here goes.

Charley's about to enter out over extremely warm water off Daytona/Jacksonville--is it going to re-intensify or is it going to stay as relatively weak as it is now? (Still dangerous, but nowhere near the monster that came knocking at the door of the west coast today.)

danielwAdministrator

Re:Charley [Re: palmetto]
      #20080 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:42 PM

Good Question. Hope this will answer it.
AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE Charley WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 29.1 NORTH... LONGITUDE 81.1 WEST OR ABOUT 10 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA.

CHARLEY IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 25 MPH...AND THIS
MOTION IS EXPECTED TO WITH AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED DURING THE
NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF Charley WILL
MOVE INTO THE ATLANTIC NEAR DAYTONA BEACH DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR
TWO...THEN MOVE NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST SATURDAY
MORNING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 85 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SLOW
STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST ONCE THE CENTER OF Charley MOVES BACK
OVER WATER

danielwAdministrator

Re:Daytona Weather [Re: danielw]
      #20081 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:44 PM

Looks like the ASOS/AWOS at Daytona airport either lost power or lost instrumentation. Last report was over an hour ago.
KDAB 140213Z 09025G41KT 1 1/2SM +RA BR BKN025 BKN032 OVC050 24/22 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 10041/0211 PRESFR P0012

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re:Charley [Re: palmetto]
      #20082 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:46 PM

>>ED rocks! I will NEVER question another thing he says, and neither should anyone who posts here, and that includes the regulars who think he "EDits" too hard.

Here . Thanks Ed(it).

Recmod,

Those photos were awesome. Hitting some bloody marys tonight (added celery salt, worcestershire, pepper, lemmon, lime, olives, pickled beans) while enjoying some hurricane snippits and the Saints victory.

I can't wait to see all the damage photos on the web and tv tomorrow after some of the camera crews can get to some of the isolated spots. I heard some prelmiinary reports on abc-7.com (Port Charlotte during the eye) of 15 billion +. That would put Charley in the top few of all times. However, as OrlandoWaiting said, it could have been MUCH worse had the eye come ashore a little farther north.

alan,

How'd your friend fare? Hopefully he's okay.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re:Charley [Re: Steve]
      #20084 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:50 PM

Quote:

Those photos were awesome. Hitting some bloody marys tonight (added celery salt, worcestershire, pepper, lemmon, lime, olives, pickled beans) while enjoying some hurricane snippits and the Saints victory.

Steve, you obviously aren't a true southerner...you can't have a southern Bloody Mary without pickled OKRA...not beans.

Next up on the tropical front....Charley and South/North Carolina...should be a cat 1 or 2 by then, and then TD 5 (Earl) down the road.

So much for a slow season....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Fri Aug 13 2004 11:50 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Re:Peak Winds at airports [Re: danielw]
      #20085 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:57 PM

KMCO 140117Z AUTO 16067G82KT 2SM R36R/5500VP6000FT RA BR BKN008 OVC011 23/23 RMK AO2 PK WND 12091/0105 P0029 TSNO $

KORL 140139Z 17055G71KT 5SM -RA BR SCT001 OVC007 23/23 A2896 RMK AO2 PK WND 12074/0129 WSHFT 0125 P0055
**A2896-was the lowest reported pressure from the 4 airports during the period 00Z-03Z.**

KSFB 140213Z 16050G80KT 1SM +RA BR BKN008 OVC013 23/23 A2904 RMK AO2 PK WND 12080/0209 PRESFR P0034

KDAB 140213Z 09025G41KT 1 1/2SM +RA BR BKN025 BKN032 OVC050 24/22 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 10041/0211 PRESFR P0012
**this was the last report, before the station or power failed**

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Charley's future [Re: Clark]
      #20087 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:00 AM

Charley is emerging off the coast near Daytona Beach at this time - I'll be interested to see what TWC has when they can start up live reports once again. Sanford reported a wind gust to 92mph. Got another report from a friend on damage on the east side of Orlando - doesn't look good. Numerous trees down, some on houses, and thinking it may be a few days to get everything cleared out. He's heading there tomorrow with supplies, as they will likely be short to come by in Orlando, to help out his family. No word from St. Cloud, where my family has a lot of friends, but I can't imagine it's going to be very good - many, many trees in the older residential parts of that town, with potential tornado reports earlier in the day in the newer parts of town to the east and to the south.

The waters off of the Florida coast are warm, but the NHC is correct in saying that they are not as warm as off of Ft. Myers. I took a look at the SST map for that area and there indeed is a warm pool from the southern tip of Florida up to near where the storm made landfall; this likely contributed to the increase in intensity before it made landfall. However, despite the difference in temperatures, it's not great and really is the difference between about 85 and 88 degrees. The system is moving fast enough to the NE to make shear less of a concern for future development. The inner core held together very well as it crossed the state of Florida, almost surprisingly so in fact. Most models take the storm inland again in 12-18 hrs in Myrtle Beach, with some minor strengthening forecast, followed by a path up the eastern seaboard. That's what the NHC is going with, but I've got a couple of qualms.

First, Charlie's landfall - like Alex, like Bonnie - has shown a rightward bias. There is a common problem with these storms in the models, and I tend to think a second landfall will likely be further east once again - and not just for this reason. Wilmington to the Cape - Alex's region - is where I'm looking, which would keep the center over water longer. But, everyone up the SC & NC coasts should be prepared.

Coincidentally, with the warm waters and relatively low storm-relative shear on the path I foresee, some additional strengthening is likely. The latest shear analysis shows 50kt of shear along the shore, but offshore it is only around 30kt. Without the trough digging very much and Charley moving at about 25mph right now, relative shear is still going to be relatively low for awhile over the waters - probably 5-15mph, gradually increasing with time. The NHC thinks there will be more, likely a consequence on their forecast, which could well verify. However, I think there is the potential for this storm to strengthen more than they anticipate.

Relatively warm waters with a well-defined inner core and not entirely unfavorable conditions all play a role in my reasoning. But, the question becomes, how much strengthening? While one of my friends who I trust is saying it could well get to cat. 4 again, I'm not buying that strong. I would not be surprised to see a high end cat. 2 - maybe around 105-110mph - at landfall. Note that the NHC is lower, around 90mph; I'm not discounting this, but am pointing out the potential for more than they forecast. Landfall somewhere between Wilmington and the Cape (Hatteras) is likely in the 18hr time frame, plus or minus a few hours. People along the NC & SC coasts need to be rushing plans to completion because this storm certainly is not done with wreaking havoc as of yet.

I've heard some stories from inside the Florida EOC today that are not all too flattering about how the Hurricane Center has handled Charley, and on the outside from what I've seen, I can agree to a point. However, they are still the authorities and still should be the ones to trust in any situation like this...I just disagree with them underestimating this storm's potential consistantly, particularly once inland. Telling a county's emergency mgmt. team that they are going to experience 75-85mph winds when the storm is over them with their own advisories saying the winds are at 115mph is just not right. The local NWS groups have handled this very well, though I hope there is no backlash in Tampa from evacuating everyone...one only need point at Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, and Orlando to see what could have been. This is going to be a wake up call for the entire state, and despite being fairly well prepared this time, many in Orlando were not prepared for that they experienced. Next time, they will be.

Watch Charley for the next day or two, then it should finally be out of our hair. Don't discount more strengthening than the NHC is forecasting, but always err on their side when in doubt. NC & SC need to be prepared for the worst and should be rushing those plans to completion now. We're looking at tens of billions of dollars in damage from this storm, with a total that's only going to go up with time.

Danielle and TD 5 look to both be getting better organized; it's the latter of the two I'm most worried about. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out down the road, but 5 days from now we'll probably see a storm in a similar spot to where Charlie was a night or two ago. I'm not even going to bother forecasting it's intensity, seeing no fault in the NHC's forecast, having not had the chance to look at everything myself, and five days out having large errors anyway. Danielle may well be a fish spinner, but I think we need to get a better handle on what it is going to do over the next day or two before declaring that to be so. The NHC will probably flip-flop on it a couple of times, but it's 10 days away in any case. Tropics are active, so everyone needs to be vigilent and just hope we don't end up with another storm near Florida this season...they've had enough.

--------------------

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re:Charley [Re: danielw]
      #20088 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:03 AM

I recorded a barometric pressure of 29.50 as Charley passed 8 miles East of my Apopka, Fl location.
There's a lot of damage in and around the Orlando area. Lots of trees down, roof damage, etc. Orlando International Airport had a gust of 105 MPH.

Charley will not be missed.

Next is Earl

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
More reports [Re: Clark]
      #20089 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:21 AM

Heard from some people in the St. Cloud and Kissimmee area...not good there either.

St. Cloud Hospital's front windows blew in, flooding their lobby and first floor offices and rooms. The second floor windows - their ICU area - almost blew in, forcing evacuations. They moved everyone to the back of the hospital, with patients in the hallways away from windows. They are currently operating on generator power, as the main power is down there as well.

The residential areas of St. Cloud did not fare so well, either. Also without power, trees came down onto houses, cars, and carports across the region. One person noted that their house was alright, but their back porch blew in and trees were down across their yard. Their neighbor had a tree on the garage and house with significant damage. Another tree had split in two and was in danger of falling.

A report in Kissimmee from my parents said that power was out there too as well, with one house being blown into another. The Kissimmee area and between there and St. Cloud has many mobile homes, so there is likely significant damage there. Lake Toho and surrounding regions probably saw some flooding; 6" of rain were reported in east Orlando, with similar totals observed across the swath of the storm by Doppler-estimated precipitation. A tornado report came from Harmony, just east of St. Cloud and the site of some explosive growth; I hope everything is alright there. More reports will filter in with time from those areas, and I expect there to be some significant damage in the region, if only due to the construction in the region.

Another friend reported traffic on John Young Pkwy in south Orlando had started to return to normal, which is folly...where are people going? Power is still out across the southern part of the city as well as downtown. Power is on in the Ocoee area, where one of my best friends reported it only flickered on and off. His place received some minor structural damage from the hurricane, with their back porch currently sitting under a couple of inches of water. Seems as though places along and east of I-4 in the Orlando area were hardest hit. I await reports from downtown Orlando, which is heavily treed, particularly in the older sections of town. I feel there will be a good number of homes destroyed there, unfortunately.

My parents were thinking about driving down US 17 (Orange Blossom Trail) to survey things, as they seemed to come out relatively unscathed (as previously mentioned), but probably will not due to the danger of fallen power lines. I haven't heard many reports of fallen lines, but there have been some and I imagine there are many more across the region. The whole southern part of the town, as noted above, is dark. My family reported that it was eerily quiet and very dark - they could hear no sounds from US 17, no sounds from people usually playing their music late at night, and no humming of electricity about.

That's probably all of the reports I'll have for tonight. Here's hoping for minimal loss of life and property elsewhere.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41829

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center