Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

#TropicalStormChantal forms in open Atlantic as Invest #97L has become well-defined with associated deep convection today
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 38 (Barry) , Major: 314 (Michael) Florida - Any: 314 (Michael) Major: 314 (Michael)
40.2N 56.2W
Wind: 40MPH
Pres: 1010mb
Moving:
E at 22 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2004 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
StormLover
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
CharleyStrength
      #20221 - Sat Aug 14 2004 10:50 PM

Charley came ashore as a Category 4 storm with sustained winds around 145 mph. Any ideas or preliminary data on what the lowest pressure readings were? Were Charley's sustained winds upon landfall more intense that Hurricane Hugo's in 1989?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: CharleyStrength [Re: StormLover]
      #20257 - Sun Aug 15 2004 02:53 AM

the last recon fix had 941mb as the central pressure. the winds at landfall were either 140 or 145mph. probably experienced that high only on the immediate coastline/barrier islands.. over a very small area. i think that the post-analysis will stick with these numbers.
charley was more like Andrew than hugo in profile. hugo was a large-envelope cape verde hurricane, it's eye was around 35 miles wide. Charleys was about six or seven. hugo's landfall pressure was 938mb.. a smidge lower than Charley, but hugo's core wasn't as compact and tight. the damage swath with hugo was more broad.. it's worst impacts were mostly to the sparsely populated area north of charleston (francis marion national lumberyard)... but most of south carolina and well inland into north carolina took noticeable damage.. on a much wider and gradual swath than Charley's ravaging of one county and underwhelming effects in the neighboring county.
the issue here is just a compact hurricane versus a broad one.
HF 0653z15august

oh yeah, hugo's landfall winds were 135 to 140 mph.

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Aug 15 2004 02:58 AM)

StormLover
Weather Watcher

Re: CharleyStrength [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20304 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:29 PM

Thanks for clearing up some of my questions. Some of the damage by Charley is mind-boggling. It seems like Charley was very compact like Andrew. Any chance Charley will later be upgraded to a Catgory 5 like Andrew? Or do you think the damage only warrants strong Category 4 ranking?

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #20306 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:38 PM

probably a four. Andrew's pressure bottomed at 922mb.. a good bit more intense.
HF 1737z15august

StormLover
Weather Watcher

#20308 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:45 PM

Is it the norm for memorable/intense hurricanes to have their names retired never to be used again? I know that Hugo and Andrew haven't been used again. Will the name Charley be now retired due to its devestation?

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #20311 - Sun Aug 15 2004 02:07 PM

Think you can take this one to the bank.

Charley will not be reused in 2010.

Lets just hope Earl doesn't join Charley...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

StormLover
Weather Watcher

Re: CharleyStrength [Re: LI Phil]
      #20319 - Sun Aug 15 2004 03:40 PM

yeah, hopefully Earl won't be the one we're talking about next week. If it gets into that warm gulf though, look out!

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
      #20373 - Mon Aug 16 2004 10:11 AM

One of the observations about this storm's strength and sturcture I made was that in many respects this storm was very similar to Andrew..it was not Andrew but very similar.
One of the news media "lucked" onto a NWS on ground weather observation team which was parked about 25 NE of Charley as it made its way up Charlotte Harbor. They were parked along I-75 just to the NE of where the center would actually strike the mainland, N of downtown Punta Gorda. At the time of the interview then they were about 30-45 minutes from the full fury. They noted the barometer reading that they were transmitting real time was 1004mb and that the latest recorded central pressure was 954mb. Now that is quite a pressure gradient...and can explain what I also heard recorded .. a 173 wind gust on the roof of a multi story hospital in Port Charlotte whre the heliport is located.
Also a local TV station is using a tool called VIPIR...now that's quite the device...it predicted accurately the intensity and direction of the storm throughout the process. It also allowed graphic representations of the turbulence in the eyewall as it passed along and showed mutiple mini vorticies in the NE a North eyewall as it made land fall. If visual observations of the damage are any indication..multiple vorticies in the eyewall are a good explanation of what is actully seen on the ground...
I think that was a conclusion also reached after Andrew that multiple vorticies circulating along the eyewall was the most logical explanation of the explosive type of damage seen in some sectors adjacent to minimal damage sections, and the randomness of the damage.
This storm was very different from Donna which I also experienced up close in that Donna had much more wide spread coverages of the weather associated with it. From where I was, we had much worse weather on Saturday in the trough wake left behind...heavier rain, gusty wind and frequent tornado warnings, than we did on Friday and I was as close as 30-35 miles from the center. With Donna when we were that close to the center we had sustained 100+mph winds for abut 30 minutes.
Each of these things is toally unique hence our fascination I guess!

--------------------
doug

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: CharleyStrength [Re: LI Phil]
      #20381 - Mon Aug 16 2004 11:31 AM

I sure hope it won't be used again. I would also like to thank everyone who post to this group. I live in the Port Charlotte area right on the line with Charlotte Harbor. And some of the best information I was able to obtain was from this group. And the best final information just before landfall came from this group. We could not get out fast enough so we had to ride it out. The next time, the company I work for can send their bosses down from up north and I'm out of here. I just wish more warning would have been sent out in our area. All of my neighbors I take to tell me they were suprised because all of the media was saying it was going to Tampa. At least becasue of this group I knew better and was able to get things in place so that we are not in as bad shape as those around us.
Kepp up the good work and keep posting your opinions and best guesses.

Thank you all,
firestar_1

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7104

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center