F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Battle of the Storms
      #20564 - Thu Aug 19 2004 06:01 PM

Chaba, 20W, and the late Megi are two brand new storms (and one old one) that just formed right by the Phillipnes (excuse my spelling). It seems like this will be a battle of the storms, as the stronger of the two storms will surive while the weaker one will die because Chaba (the stronger one) will cause dry air to get into his ciruclation, from it's outflow. This is all happening while Megi caused epic floods in parts of South Korea.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Battle of the Storms [Re: Keith234]
      #20568 - Thu Aug 19 2004 09:13 PM

I think both can survive - there's almost 25 degrees of longitude separating the two storms. They are both moving at about the same rate, just under 10 knots, and while there seems to be a "channel" between the two storms, I don't think it's anything that will cause the depression or Chaba to weaken. Usually the storm out ahead of the other storm wins out in the case of two very close storms; but, given sufficient distance between the two, the only impacts you might see are some upwelling of the waters ahead of Chaba in 2-3 days that limit intensification.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Battle of the Storms [Re: Clark]
      #20589 - Fri Aug 20 2004 04:07 PM

I've heard about a type of force that happens when two hurricanes become close enough that they form a common center point and spin around that point instead of the eye. Kind of like the planets orbiting the sun. Have you ever heard about this?

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Battle of the Storms [Re: Keith234]
      #20591 - Fri Aug 20 2004 04:40 PM

It's called the Fujiwara Effect. The Fujiwara Effect is the tendency for two nearby tropical cyclones to rotate around each other, so what you actually have happening is you have got one storm that would be the dominant storm, and they would rotate around each other, and it happened in the Pacific in the year 2001, and it happened in 1995 in the Atlantic, with Hurricanes Iris, Omberto and Karen all interacting at one point or another with each other. It's possible the two storms in the WestPAC will get some kind of Fujiwara effect in the next few days, if the JTWC is correct in their predictions.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Battle of the Storms [Re: LI Phil]
      #20593 - Fri Aug 20 2004 05:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center