F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: Frances at 5pm no doubt about it [Re: Unregistered User]
      #20810 - Wed Aug 25 2004 09:13 PM

Andrew track not Andrew strength. That strength nobody wants. No doubt it's way to far to say it will hit any land but for those that jump the gun on calling a wave a fish will soon need to dunk there head in the ocean and if it is a fish i'll go dunk my head in the ocean.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
caneman
Unregistered

Re: TWO THINGS [Re: LI Phil]
      #20811 - Wed Aug 25 2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

It has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. Anonymous posts will no longer be accepted. You do not have to register, simply ID yourself in some way. Thank you.

More importantly, JB has again posted today and what he has to say about Frances is not good. He's now calling for a CAT III (perhaps) midway between Hispaniola and Bermuda by next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I smell Hattaras.

I'm guessing West Palm Beach to Charleston. This guess is bases on the system heading either due West or WNW after the NW component is gone.

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: TWO THINGS [Re: caneman]
      #20812 - Wed Aug 25 2004 09:47 PM

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that an east coast hit is possible with this one. I've stated before that the West Palm Beach area and along the Gold coast north of Miami has been spared major hurricanes now since it got densely populated. Gotta watch the Frances and the wave train carefully, paticularly around Labor Day......BBBBRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: TWO THINGS [Re: caneman]
      #20813 - Wed Aug 25 2004 09:50 PM

what phil said earlier about anons.. yeah, just add a name if you don't want to register. the moderator/admin guys can tell who you are, but nobody else here can. it's an accountability thing... when the board gets active the people who screw it up are usually unregistered anons, trying to piss everybody off. if people ID themselves it's unlikely john and mike in admin will pull the unregistered posting option in those times. sucks to cut people off, but the benefit is worth it. in the meanwhile it's up to the moderators to keep things from getting messy. playing nanny really sucks, so just add a name to your post and there's no problem at all.
gotta respond to caneman.. it's way the hell out there, but that's a risky take, even for a gut feeling. that section of coastline dodges the bullet more than any other.
have more to say later.
HF 2150z25august

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
More left each run [Re: caneman]
      #20816 - Wed Aug 25 2004 10:17 PM

Excellent observation " The GFS has shifted left every run since the 00Z in now shows it skiming the northern leewards. What else is wrong with the GFS is it is moving at around 18 mph this thing is not going to slow down as much as the GFS says. "

Just 2 days ago everyone was calling it a fish.. now seems the models are 50/50 on everything and no one is sure anymore.

Which proves the point that you can't decide where something is going to be while its wallowing over the Cape Verde Islands.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
ominous words in that discussion [Re: LoisCane]
      #20817 - Wed Aug 25 2004 10:21 PM

"WHICH WOULD ALLOW GREATER STRENGTHENING THAN
CURRENTLY FORECAST"

Very ominous wording if you ask me in the discussion. Not saying it would be of Andrew intensity.. not going there. No reason to at this point (very far out) but just saying.. ominous wording added in at the end of the discussion.

--------------------

rcs_satbch
Unregistered

Re: Spin off Fla [Re: LI Phil]
      #20818 - Wed Aug 25 2004 10:22 PM

On the Water Vapor Loop the system east of FL still looks like an upper level low is above or just to the west of it (pulling dry air south along the GA coast). Development looks marginal at best for the time being.

rcs_satbch
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #20819 - Wed Aug 25 2004 10:28 PM

I noticed the Water Vapor Loop is showing some strong westerly shear across the Carribean Sea to the west of Frances. Will this be any sort of influence on Frances in the days ahead as it approaches the general vacinity of the Northern Leeward Islands ?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: rcs_satbch]
      #20822 - Wed Aug 25 2004 11:40 PM

I'm sure it will affect TD#6, but probably not enough to inhibit devlopment, to the point were it starts to weaken. But this is all based on the current forecast track, nothing is certain.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: rcs_satbch]
      #20823 - Wed Aug 25 2004 11:43 PM

there are three scenarios for this as far as I am concerned:
1) the shear will persist and likely push the storm to the north, towards the Southeast with a similar track to Fran in 1996--note how it turned north near the islands, then turned back to the west
2)slightly less likely, the shear will move westward at the same rate as Frances, and will enhance the outflow and allow it to move west and intensify, with a track similar or to the south of Allen in 1980, but again, nowhere near the intensity.
3) least likely (right now, anyways) is that the shear will blow this system apart much like it did to TD2 and Earl in the eastern Caribbean

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Rabbit]
      #20824 - Wed Aug 25 2004 11:57 PM

I've been looking at the models and the the GFS seems to be taking this hurricane to the direction of Galveston or a little more south. The GFS seems to be on target this year and works well with systems in the general area of where Tropical Storm Frances is, (ex. Andrew). If Tropical Storm Frances does remain south of the ridge axis, it will continue, westward, and maybe inflict an area on the Gulf States as something weak or maybe mainly because of the shear in the carabiean area. That's my scenario for this storm.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Keith234]
      #20829 - Thu Aug 26 2004 01:53 AM

>>> the shear will blow this system apart much like it did to TD2

Didn't TD2 eventually become Bonnie? Granted, the soon to be patented HF "rabbit voodoo hex" [tm HF] went to work on it, but it did survive to become a named entity. So, that makes it 6 for 6...TD's becoming TS's.

To my thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but a classified system which becomes an open wave but then regains classified status, is still a classified system. I'm actually confused, because the Unisys lists TD2 AND Bonnie, as though they are separate systems. That doesn't make any sense...so I'll pose it to the board...Are TD2, the remnants of which became Bonnie, two separate and distinct systems or are they, for argument's sake, one in the same?

I'm being serious here. Here is how Unisys calculates this storm.

Is it proper, per se, to consider these as two distinct and separate systems, or should TD2 and Bonnie be considered to be one system, even with the several-day classification lag?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: LI Phil]
      #20830 - Thu Aug 26 2004 02:09 AM

Well Phil... think Unisys for now is correct. There was a TD2.

Remnants of TD2 developed into Bonnie.
Remnants or TD2.. remants means pieces of...

Imagine at the end of the season the NHC will write the official book on this one...

NOW... back to the topic

Think in the morning the track will be pulled more to the left.

Read what SNONUT wrote this evening. He seems to feel what many others are also saying. Someone ..somewhere on the East Coast might really have to deal with this.. possibly even the islands.

Bill Kamal on the news here tonight spoke of all interests in the Turks and Virigin Islands paying close attn to this storm.

Sure 11pm team will say the same.

Looking like a Labor Day Cane right now.

--------------------

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression #6 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: LI Phil]
      #20832 - Thu Aug 26 2004 02:27 AM

I agree with you partially, in physical terms they are the same storm but then in techinal terms, which the Unisys is in to, it isn't. If a depression forms but then dies it becomes a totally different system, it's like it's re-born.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
11pm [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #20833 - Thu Aug 26 2004 02:31 AM

They came out with the 11pm discussion very early tonight - I'm reading it now - and the intensity is still 35kt. Should make for some interesting results to the first track/intensity forecast of the storm!

The 120hr position is ever-so-slightly to the left of the previous position, being just 1 degree further west than before (but no further north). The official track is still well left of the UKMET and well right of the GFS, agreeing with most of the other models and with most previous thinking. See no reason to disagree except to maybe nudge the track a bit further to the left...but not too much, maybe a degree or so. Intensity forecast...no qualms there either.

Wish I had more to add, but classes have begun here once again and those late night hours of a week or two ago have come and gone, unfortunately.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
frances issues, etc [Re: LoisCane]
      #20836 - Thu Aug 26 2004 02:51 AM

quick note on TD2/bonnie: TD 6/7 last year is an example of a similar occurrence.. not as much lag time between closed systems this time, nor did the system become quite as indistinct.. but you may have noticed the system we're currently on, Frances.. was TD 6. very simple logic follows.. the NHC has operationally regarded bonnie as a TD 2 reincarnation.
frances is tending a bit left of my previous thought track. i've been on to this no-quick-out-recurvature line for a few days now, finally there's enough model support that the official line is just that.. but of course there's always a chance Frances can still find some bizarre way to recurve.
but i'm not going with that. speed up the official, have a more pronounced stair step and an intensity cough in the track for the weekend.. and you have my philosophy.. Frances will turn nw and slow for a time in response to the ridge weakness, miss the islands, negotiate some shear, and then turn left and probably accelerate westward next week. i keep hearing references to Andrew.. can only blink at that. i'm thinking more of a floyd situation, because i don't expect there to be enough ridge near the east coast late next week for Frances to come barreling across florida. always safer to bet on wilmington or morehead city north carolina.. something like that. really no idea at this point, because GFS is what i'm going by and i know GFS takes a few days to feel out the pattern and get the wavelengths/speed/amplitudes close enough to make educated guesses on. right now it's still a shot in the dark.. at a target that is for now distant. timetable for arrival, if it makes it across.. is around saturday the 4th. this would fairly well teleconnect with typhoon chaba smacking japan in a couple days time.
closer in to home, getting a better feel for the disturbance off the southeast coast. it isn't in a rush to develop, but won't be going much of anywhere until the weekend.. time is still on it's side. low level convergence is too weak to jam a low together, it's going to live or die on whether a convective flare can get an embryonic center started. there is decent ridging aloft.. mid/upper low peeling away into the gulf is enhancing it for now. disturbed weather also trying to focus away east near bermuda.. but i'm going to stick with the area east of jacksonville, near 80w. give or take 50 miles i think that's the place.
new wave skipping merrily off the african coast, and GFS is showing some development by early next week on it.. so will stay appraised.
minor feature.. weak trough near 26/52 sliding westward... nearing the mid oceanic trough. a convective burst could modify this small feature in a heartbeat.. but very low potential.
that's the line for now. Frances is getting retired, one way or another... those folks may have jinxed us.
HF 0251z26august

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: 11pm [Re: Clark]
      #20841 - Thu Aug 26 2004 04:35 AM

I just don't see this storm getting that far north that quickly. I certainly am I on the side of the GFS at this point. That trough is going to have look much better for me to believe it's going to effect Frances that much. They are obviously thinking that the ridge breakdown is what will have the effect on the system, and not the trough so much. Still, I am not buying that much of a move to north right now.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Matt033
Unregistered

Re: 11pm [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #20843 - Thu Aug 26 2004 05:21 AM

A small CDO has formed over the last few hours. With perfect outflow on the west,southwest,northwestern quads. While the storm still has only poor to fair outflow on the eastern quad. Also to note is a small pin point hole forming around 12.3/42 at this hour moving west with a every so slightly north of west. NRL information also sees kind of a eye like future but is not closed as of this moment.

One thing is remember what a storm named Isabel, did once it got loose of the trough last year. What happen is it went under a ridge of high pressure. Then the eastern quad of the storm had the back side of the trough to make a nice outflow channel. This also happen with Floyd and Andrew with many other big storm in the past. If the trough catchs this system in looses it. Then watch out. If the trough doe's not catch it then this system will move more westward at around 18 to 20 mph. Just to fast for it to get to strong that fast. In would likely not have the nearly the enviroment to bomb as if the trough catchs it. The last few runs of the GFS has been for more westward. So we will see what happens.

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 11pm [Re: Matt033]
      #20845 - Thu Aug 26 2004 07:26 AM

Frances now has a T-number of 3.0/3.0.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Interesting [Re: James88]
      #20846 - Thu Aug 26 2004 09:23 AM

It is significant that each New Run of the global models has a
forecast track farther to the west...so if this trend continues...there will be interesting days ahead.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 32762

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center