F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: W. Central Florida
LOWS... How do you tell the difference?
      #2092 - Tue Aug 20 2002 09:04 PM

How do you tell the difference between an upper low and a surface low when looking at the satillite loop? Also, what type of data do you use? Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: LOWS... How do you tell the difference?
      #2102 - Wed Aug 21 2002 01:22 PM

In reply to:

How do you tell the difference between an upper low and a surface low when looking at the satillite loop? Also, what type of data do you use? Toni

'Tis hard to tell sometimes, but I'll try. Using the satellite, it helps to look at the visible presentation. Often, even usually, a Low Level low will cause the clouds you can see rotating around the low being occasionally obscured by the higher level clouds which are often moving in an entirely different direction. If the visible clouds are movining in the same direction as the IR clouds, it *may* be an upper level low, but of course, storms originating from the surface can and do reach up and have colder tops which rotate. Again, the visible satellite is often the best view...if the rotating clouds are not obscured, they probably are higer and therefore associated with an UL low. Obviously, a large storm can confuse the picture, but the question was regarding 'ordinary' lows. Satellite views are not always good enough (might not be 2 layers of clouds to watch), so where possible, you want surface (buoys, ships, etc) data which tell you the pressure at SL. Even wind direction at SL is a clue as it is more ore less at right angles to the direction of the low/high causing the wind. If the winds and pressures suggest a low at the surface, and it agrees with your observations of the satellite pics, you have confirmed that it is a Low Level low you are seeing.

I am sure there are other ways to determine this (ask the professionals who frequent here ) but this is how I have been successful in the past at identifying which is which....

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: LOWS... How do you tell the difference?
      #2112 - Wed Aug 21 2002 09:00 PM

Thanks Richard for your reply. Your Explanation was very good and easy to follow. I can visualize what you are saying and I think that it will really help me out. Just don't quiz me on it to soon. Again thanks! Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 3296

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center