F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2002-2009 >> 2002 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Jason M
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: New Orleans
Get Ready
      #2132 - Thu Aug 22 2002 09:40 PM

Tropical Weather Outlook

There will be no tropical storm formation in the Atlantic basin over the next three days. What has me concerned, is how conditions over the Atlantic are ABNORMALLY favorable for development.

Tropical Weather Discussion

The area of interest in the western Caribbean has move inland as expected. This wave will not move into the Bay of Campeche. Therefore, development won't occur. The rest of the Atlantic basin is quiet. Now the ITCZ is very active with a train of waves stretchign from the eastern Caribbean and eastward through Africa. However, none of these waves show signs of any development. The most impressive wave is over the coast of Africa. this wave will have to be monitored as conditions are becoming more and more favorable each day. But like I said, its not whats out there right now thats making me nervous.

Why are conditiosn suddenluy becoming so favorable for development. Well there are two answers to this question #1 The Azores high has weakened dramtically. In addition, the high is moving farther north, near the Azores Islands. #2 The negative "wet" phase of the Madden Julian Oscillation is now beginning to influence the weather across the Atlantic basin. Just take a look at the Atlantic combined genesis parameters...

Atlantic combined genesis parameters

This image is based on subsidence, vertical shear and instability. Obviously, conditions in the Atlantic have changed considerably over the last few weeks. When are we going to see some developlment? Rather soon! If we don't get at least one named storm within two weeks I will be surprised. the overall pattern is setting up for a burst of activity. The North Atlantic Oscillation is expected to stay negative through the majority of September (Which favors development in the southewest Atlantic), The Azores high should remain weak, the wet phase of the Madden Julian Oscillation is now in place, below average SLP across the west Atlantic will all favor a burst of activity. I almost forgot to mention the latitude of the ITCZ. You hear all this stuff abotu the Azores high still keeping the ITCZ supressed to the south. Well this is no longer the case. Want evidence? Take a look...

Mean Postion of the ITCZ

In addition, El Nino could enhance subtropical development towards the end of the season. A burst of activity beginning within the next couple of weeks and lasting through October is not all that unlikely.

I almost forgot to mention one thing. We will have ridging in the upper levels over much of the Mean Development Region. This is an enhancing factor that will support activity. Sooner or later these waves will get their act together. They might not develop right off the African coast, but possibly farther west. Get ready!

http://www.tropicalweatherwatchers.com

--------------------
http://www.independentwx.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1818

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center