F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Northward motion [Re: LI Phil]
      #22055 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:09 PM

Don't know what your looking at, but it wobbled north and has since wobbled back wsw a little. Still on a westerly course.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22056 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:09 PM

If i am looking at the 12Z GFS right, it looks like it shifted to the left near Cape Canaveral on Sunday and shooting up to SC/GA Border on Monday morning.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Something to consider! [Re: HCW]
      #22058 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:11 PM

West at 16mph...so it's sped up a little bit and now expected to make a turn later on today. I think they may be a little conservative with the winds.

I'm not afraid to get bashed. I'm a weather hobbiest, not an expert. Besides, I don't take it personally, I just take it as a "gentle learning curve".

Than I send Frank P. out to finish you off.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

CONCERNEDINMIAMI
Unregistered

Re: Satellite Loops [Re: Rasvar]
      #22059 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:13 PM

THE NASA HAS PLACED LANDFALL AT WEST PALM BEACH, DISCOUNTING THE WEAKNESS IN THE HIGH

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THE NHC IS RELYING SO HEAVILY ON THIS EXPECTED WEAKNESS IN THE RIDGE?

SEEMS TO ME THE MODELS MAY BE RELYING ON HISTORICAL DATA IN CONJUNCTION WITH RECON???

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
18Z GFS [Re: Rasvar]
      #22060 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:13 PM

How long will it take for the 18Z GFS to get all the data needed to put out a run?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

lois..
Unregistered

ulls, high on wv, eye on visible, thanks jason...probs [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22061 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:14 PM

Thanks first off for all your help here.

First.. why isn't Miami a 9 on probs and WPB say a 12?
Why are they both the same if the storm is supposed to come in up the coast at a higher angle? That sort of makes me wonder.

Second.. there is talk Miami could get stronger than TS winds which yesterday was mostly what "they" were saying.

Third..does anyone know here how the FSU ensemble is going? Are they in line with a right hand turn or are they the same as yesterday? Does anyone know?

Fourth..Because as it strengthens it develops a high aloft which enhances the high pressure driving it west? Is possibly why it is moving faster now than it was before?

Fifth..can someone point out the where the weakness will be on Thursday late in the day?

thanks

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: Northward motion [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #22062 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:14 PM

I don't believe that is necessarily true.

john03
Unregistered

how its lookin? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22063 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:16 PM

THE 2 PM AST POSITION...20.3 N... 65.0 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 16 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 942 MB

so were does this put it in relation to model runs?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: CONCERNEDINMIAMI]
      #22064 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:16 PM

There basing their forecast so heavily on the weakeness on the ridge because the ridge is governing the track of Frances if it wasn't there or not so south this cane would have become a fish spinner, or set it's sights on a new target.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Something to consider! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22065 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:17 PM

I'm still with my southern North Carolina call from last week (yeah, that's south of the Outer Banks). I could be a tad far north to be sure.

Anyway, Ken Aucion (former Fox8 #2 Met know Chief at a station in Columbia, SC) also thinks Frances has a great shot of attaining Cat V status. Bastardi think it can get down a slow as 925mb but if it follows his track, he thinks it's weakening at landfall.

He also did a nice expose of a SE flow this year which would tend to concentrate the rain and storms a certain way (e.g. Gulf wouldn't probably get hit from a long tracked storm but more likely from something developing out of the Caribbean or Gulf itself.

Steve

PS - A rickonboat post without a cat 5 call for Mobile is a day without vitamin c - serious time or not.

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Colleen A.

Reged:
Models [Re: CONCERNEDINMIAMI]
      #22066 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:20 PM

What is the NASA? Is that a model used by the NHC? Yesterday the NHC stated that it was relying on the GFDL because of it's consistency. There's so much information coming in that has to be fed into all these models; let's not forget that they're input by human hands and errors can be made either way. I really don't think there's a "general consensus" with the models at this point.

Another interesting point: when Charley was coming, almost every single model brought it in to Tampa Bay, except one. I think it was the MM5 or something like that...it brought it onshore at Ft. Myers.

It was right.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
1745 Dvoraks [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22067 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:23 PM

31/1745 UTC 20.4N 65.0W T6.0/6.0 Frances
31/1745 UTC 40.1N 70.0W T2.5/2.5 GASTON

6.0/6.0

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

concernedinmiami
Unregistered

Re: Models [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22068 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:24 PM

I meant NASA, they are forecasting the system separate and apart from the NHC, making their own forecast -- in fact, they are launching Saturday's rocket today, and evacuating their premises after launch...they expect landfall in S. Fla and then a push upward through the state

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: ulls, high on wv, eye on visible, thanks jason...probs [Re: lois..]
      #22069 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:24 PM

I can anwser your third question, your are right about the high being over the hurricane, it's the main driving force for the outflow of a hurricane. As the upper level high becomes stronger it pushes dry, subsiding air over the ridge, making it strengthen. Yes, that is a possibly reason for it moving faster than it was before, but it moving more west is somewhat likely. A hurricane is a cork in a river, it modifies it's existing surrondings, so what your saying could be a reason for the general westward movement.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Colleen A.

Reged:
I Agree! [Re: Steve]
      #22070 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:25 PM

Yes, it would be like a day without Vitamin C not to hear the "Mobile" hit once a day. Even a broken clock's right twice a day, huh?

I can't even think of predicting where this storm is going to go. I don't think I ever have, come to think of it. I'm not that good at predicting any type of weather event, so why even bother?

--------------------

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
      #22071 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:26 PM

NASA also can not wait for a definate track. If the Atlas rocket for tonight does not get launched, they may have to do major stowage work to protect the payload. NASA will always have to take the most conservative route becuase of the time it takes them to secure operations. Therefore, NASA has to act before many other agencies. However, they still only use the same information that the NHC has. They do not have anything different. They may choose to interpet differently for their own use.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: CONCERNEDINMIAMI]
      #22072 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

THE NASA HAS PLACED LANDFALL AT WEST PALM BEACH, DISCOUNTING THE WEAKNESS IN THE HIGH

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THE NHC IS RELYING SO HEAVILY ON THIS EXPECTED WEAKNESS IN THE RIDGE?

SEEMS TO ME THE MODELS MAY BE RELYING ON HISTORICAL DATA IN CONJUNCTION WITH RECON???

Do you have the link to NASA???

LI Phil
User

Reged:
NASA site? [Re: concernedinmiami]
      #22073 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:28 PM

>>> I meant NASA, they are forecasting the system separate and apart from the NHC, making their own forecast

Is the NASA site available for the public (at least the weather forecast portion)? If so, can you post a link to it?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

mikeG
Unregistered

#22074 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:29 PM

noaa flights and sat and gps drops obs...a 1330utc 31 aug.... had most winds ne of center (strongest 22nm , ne of center) a very classical looking hurricane..... she did have a big area of cat 3 winds from north to south on east side extending far from center..(maybe by 35miles at most)..
*note this just reasearch data*

i am going over data coming in right now from NOAA3, (they done alot of drops today)..... think i saw a wind guest of or near 157

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: concernedinmiami]
      #22075 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:29 PM

Actually, they have not moved anything up. It is the same rocket that they have scrubbed the launch on for four consecutive since last Saturday. I doubt they get it off before they have to take it off the bad and remove the payload.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 85371

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center