F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: I agree on one point Frank [Re: Frank P]
      #22522 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:26 PM

Actually, Jav is correct. The past few hours have been due west. The long term is still WNW, but there has been a definite jog west recently.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: wxman007]
      #22523 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:26 PM

That's not good news, man. I've got enough stress worring about my family, not to mention worring if it's going to be a double whammy. And don't hurricanes like warm water?

--------------------
Kelly

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Miami bound, maybe [Re: Frank P]
      #22524 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:27 PM

Starting to waver on the Florida Keys, but for sure Miami is as good a shot as any...hurricane is wavering a little to the left...maybe on a wwnw heading. maybe just a glitch. One thing for sure, we have a serious player. Still betting on a GOM entry, though we all keep thinking..."just another 6 hours and I'll get a handle on this"...

If it gets in the gulf ....then the higher SST's will really make for a miserable weekend for someone...

The huge eyewall is impressive...definitely a "trailer trasher"
fascinating...

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #22525 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:28 PM

Would you agree with the set up I described above. It looks more and more likely.

GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: I agree on one point Frank [Re: Frank P]
      #22526 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:28 PM

Can someone please explain what the 285 #s are I dont understand if that is west or what.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Clark]
      #22527 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:29 PM

Clark, any thought on this thing making the GOM... appears Jason has, what say you??...

btw, I've enjoyed reading your analysis during the week as they related to this storm....

Also thought Scotts take has been pretty good to date as well... of course all that will crash and burn if this thing goes n to SC and NC... and we'll never hear the end of Joe B's greatness.... hehe

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Miami bound, maybe [Re: rickonboat]
      #22528 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

. ..."just another 6 hours and I'll get a handle on this"...

...and if I only had winning lottery numbers......

--------------------
Kelly

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Frank P]
      #22529 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:33 PM

>>> Can someone please explain what the 285 #s are I dont understand if that is west or what.

Those are degree readings...think like an analog clock. 0 degrees is 12 noon, 90 degrees is 3:00, 180 is 6:00 and 270 is 9:00 (due west). So 285 degrees would be just north of due west direction wise. Hope that helps.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: kelcot]
      #22530 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:33 PM

A couple of things to remember......

This is not exactly how Frances is going to come ashore. This is the best guess for the moment, and will continue to change. Who ever on the east FL coast gets this will know for sure maybe an hour or two before it makes landfall, so it's best to be prepared for the worse. Because of the way it is going to come at the coast, many people are going to feel the affects. And if they miss the forecast, and they do everytime by at least a small margin, it more than likely will be to the right. The Cape, Daytona (again!!) and JAX need to be ready for a really bad day Sunday just in case. It's not going to be a good day for most of us anyway, this thing is huge and forecast to stay a Cat 4. The rainfall amounts projected by the NHC have been small up to now because Frances hasn't run right over somebody, but you could be inside the rainy part of the storm for well over a day this weekend if you're in FL. If anybody comes up with a graphic showing how much rain FL could get, I'd be interested in seeing it.

IMO, I think this is a good forecast, but I also think it's going to get bumped up the coast just a little before it's all over. I do not see the center getting into the gulf at all. My call from 72 hrs out would be Sat afternoon, the Cape to Daytona, Cat 4, and not moving in any hurry.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: I agree on one point Frank [Re: jth]
      #22531 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:33 PM

Yea but the last frame the new one just a touch N.I guess she is doing the stair step.It was a good step W though.See how this plays out later tonight.I'm still thinking way S in FL.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Frank P]
      #22532 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:40 PM

Frank P, I've been on the southern end of things for awhile now. There's a long discussion I wrote in the last thread (about 5-6 posts down on pg. 3) early this morning about the storm and don't really see a reason to deviate from that...particularly because that's been my thinking for a couple-few days now.

In essence, I do think it'll make the Gulf, with people from Biloxi to Apalachicola needing to watch it, but it's probably a NW Florida storm once out there, maybe as a cat 1/2. There are some parallels between this storm's track and Erin, although I think the initial landfall will be further south in Florida while the secondary landfall may be slightly to the east. Just my feelings as of now.

I'll probably not look at things again until late tonight, as I'm getting kinda drained and have work I need to get to.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Compass degrees intro 101 [Re: GaryC]
      #22533 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:42 PM

due north = 0 degrees
due east = 90 degrees
due south = 180 degrees
due west = 270 degrees
Since a circle has 360 degrees, a compass has 360 degrees, too. North is at 0 degrees.

The cardinal points divide the circle into 4 equal parts.
360 divided by 4 = 90, so the cardinal points are 90 degrees apart. Therefore:
North = 0 East = 90 South = 180 West = 270

The intercardinal points mark the midway point between the cardinal points.
90 divided by 2 = 45 Therefore:
NE = 45 SE = 135 SW = 225 NW = 315

Note that the cardinal points are also 90 degrees apart, because there are four of them.

The secondary intercardinal points mark the midway points between the cardinal points and intercardinal points.

* The cardinal and intercardinal points are separated by 45 degrees.
* 45 divided by 2 = 22.5

Therefore:
* NNE = 22.5
* ENE = 67.5
* ESE = 112.5
* SSE = 157.5
* SSW = 202.5
* WSW = 247.5
* WNW = 292.5
* NNW = 337.5

bobbi
Unregistered

betting against climo and history? [Re: Clark]
      #22534 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:44 PM

Not real happy guys.

I can imagine 3 tracks to get this storm out of here but for now..

3 tracks come to mind and are real visible on wunderground.com...

Donna

Mayfield said in his interview even HE can't remember the last time the coast N of WPB got hit with a major storm.

That is because they usually don't. Climo. Odds based on climo.

IF there was a strong front/dip somewhere I wouldn't mind so much but I'm not a better and these are crappy odds that this storm doesn't hit further south.

In my humble opinon.

Check out the tracks for yourself and think before you reply.

Also.. the ULL is not helping.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re:Latest Wind Swath [Re: Clark]
      #22535 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:45 PM

Latest wind swath available here:

http://www.skeetobite.com/flhurricane/nhc_adv31.jpg

Now with 3 coordinates-

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
      #22536 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:45 PM

Here's a detailed discussion about the possibility of a track across FL into the GOM. I don't know anything about the folks who produced this, but it certainly makes for an interesting read. Maybe Jason could comment on it?

The latest signs are not promising at all. Some of the models, like the GFS and CMC are indicating a turn too far to the north, without any support from the 500mb vorticity fields. There are no ML troughs or lows that could turn the system. The UKMET responds to this condition by turning the storm to the west and into the Gulf of Mexico as does NASA and NOGAPS. Second, the trough over Louisiana is farther north than yesterday. These two scenarios are quite grim for Florida. However, what the models are in agreement with and are in touch with reality is that there will be somewhat of a WNW motion due to the weak upper trough. In short, there does not appear to be anything to spar Florida form a landfall. Track guidance is mostly based upon the GFS and the 6Z GFS is unrealistic indicating a SC landfall. While the landfall location is similar near the Palm Beach area although a few tenths to the south of 0900 UTC, the major change is that this forecast now brings the storm into the Gulf of Mexico and indicates a threat to the Florida Panhandle at the end of the period.

Full Article Here

AphCane04
Unregistered

Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Shawn W.]
      #22537 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

From the latest discussion:

THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE CONTROLLING THE MOTION OF Frances IS FORECAST TO PERSIST BUT TO WEAKEN. THIS WOULD ALLOW THE HURRICANE TO TURN MORE TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED.

The ridge could weakn faster, or more, than the models anticipate. I doubt a landfall in Northern Georgia / South Carolina, but somewhere in North Florida is still a good possibility.

What mechanism do they think could weaken the ridge as they imply in the discussion?

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #22538 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:47 PM

kinda gathered that last nite by the tone on your 10 forecast.. looks like you maybe getting overtime this weekend

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Clark]
      #22539 - Wed Sep 01 2004 03:52 PM

Frances has been moving north of west, and that's what she was forecast to do. From 11am Saturday to 11am today she's moved 3.7 degrees north and 17.9 degrees west. Last night I looked at the projected path and eyeballed what I though the coordinates for the 8am advisory would be. I estimated them to be 21.4n and 67.8w. This morning at 8am I checked those coordinates and they were officially 21.4n and 69.1w. I still think this storm is moving faster west than some had forecasted it to do, and I personally believe it will continue to do so. Obviously it's going to take some jogs to the north, but I just don't see a drastic turn to the NW taking place. There are some interesting weather features out there now(i.e. trof, high pressure ridge), but I still see the ridge guiding Frances in a general westerly direction and for that motion to continue for quite some time.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: andy1tom]
      #22540 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:03 PM

I am still sure it will turn, but I am unsure how close it will be to the coast

several of the *reliable* models are taking it more to the north--AVN takes it VERY close to Cape Canaveral--about 30-40 miles, but offshore; the CMC takes it well offshore, then turns it back to the west towards Daytona Beach, then about 20 miles offshore, curves it up into Georgia; GFDL takes it NW, getting closer to the coast as it moves north, and taking it inland into N Florida or Georgia

more reason to doubt the NHC forecast is that Frances appears again to be weakening--the eye is much more ragged and appears to have collapsed overnight, much like Isabel last year before the weakening trend; as for more evidence supporting a northward turn is that it is elongating towards the NNW and the western edge of the outflow has flattened and is now shooting straight north, and the ULL is still over the Bahamas showing little or no movement now
Frances
also, it does look like Frances has taken a slight NW jog in the last hour

an odd contrast though is that the NOGAPS takes it NW, then turns it W right into West Palm Beach and up the west coast

is that one a possibility at all?

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: Eye? [Re: palmetto]
      #22541 - Wed Sep 01 2004 04:03 PM

Looking at the IR loop, Frances seems to be looking a lot less symetrical. Is this due to eyewall replacement, interactions with landmasses, or shallower water? Or could it simply be all of the above or none of the above?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 45667

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center