F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Controlled Chaos [Re: Frank P]
      #22562 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:45 PM

if things go according to the forecast what kind of surge will it produce. yesterday someone said 20-30 foot waves also

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lis
Unregistered

Re:Frances and GOM [Re: doug]
      #22563 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:48 PM

So according to this, do you think Miami/Fort Lauderdale is goign to get the eye?

Chad
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Citrus County, Fla.
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: doug]
      #22564 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:48 PM

http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

Watching this loop makes me think of a S Fl to GOM path.
I'm really looking forward to the 5 and 11 updates...

--------------------
Chad

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Chad]
      #22565 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:54 PM

Here is an amazing image for you guys that I have broadband

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/misc/040831/040831_g12_vis_2_anim.html

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Chad]
      #22566 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:54 PM

what's interesting is that Frances does not have the deep red convection at the end of the loop that it had at the beginning of the loop, this looks to me as a direct affect of the outer bands as interact with mountains of the island below

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re:Frances and GOM [Re: lis]
      #22567 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:55 PM

hur. force winds extend 80 miles out and t/s winds 180 so even if it goes north of miami they are going to get at least tropical storm winds.

meto
Weather Guru

Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Rabbit]
      #22568 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:56 PM

the ULL is near the keys not in the bahamas, and moving sw. and Frances is moving just n. of due west.and most models are taking it into cent. fla. or near palm beach.

meto
Weather Guru

Re:Frances and GOM [Re: Rabbit]
      #22569 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:56 PM

the ULL is near the keys not in the bahamas, and moving sw. and Frances is moving just n. of due west.and most models are taking it into cent. fla. or near palm beach.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Controlled Chaos [Re: andy1tom]
      #22570 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:57 PM

I think the Weather Channel estimated up to 20.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Kroemerk
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: MikeC]
      #22571 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:00 PM

EEEK! I live 5 miles straight north of MCO! We really dodged the bullet last time - our power was miraculously only out for like 6 hours. Doesn;t look like we will be so lucky this time. Any guesses about how fast of winds I will see? Or do I not REALLY want to know

C.J.inNaples
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: Kroemerk]
      #22572 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:05 PM

I live in Naples, just south of where Chuck hit. So far its not looking too good for anyone in south FL. Whats the chance this thing will pull another Andrew?

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: Kroemerk]
      #22573 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:10 PM

Just was able to get back online. We had a heck of a storm here last night that lasted 4 hours! Knocked out my cable modem, so I had to go swap it out. Anyway, I'm able to get Channel 9 in Orlando (I don't know why since I'm in Lakeland) and they are showing 100mph winds in Orlando. Now, I'm 45 miles to Orlando-Disney World. What I'm wondering is what to expect. If I'm reading Skeeto's windfield map correctly, I'm in those hurricane force winds. My husband just called and said he can get a generator, and for the first time in my life, I didn't know what to tell him to do.

Any ideas?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: C.J.inNaples]
      #22574 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:10 PM

For what its worth, I'm not seeing any northward component happening, the upper level low falling apart ahead of it is the main reason. If the tracks are wrong it's probably biased to the right. So the Gulf scenario is a higher probability than the Carolinas at the moment, but by no means a sure thing.

If the storms slows up sooner then the movement to the right would be more likely.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: C.J.inNaples]
      #22575 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:11 PM

Don't know if this has been posted...the 12Z GFS, which shows a SC landfall on Tuesday. Anybody give this any credence?

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready-bin/animation.pl?id=GFS&mdl=gfsx&file=tpptmslp

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

fredwx
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: MikeC]
      #22576 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:13 PM

Frances continues to approach the Florida East Coast. Frances is a larger storm than Charley and has the potential of greater damage when it makes landfall.

FORECAST VALID Saturday 0800 EDT 26.0N 77.5W
MAX WIND 130 KT (150 MPH) ...GUSTS 160 KT (185 MPH)
Hurricane Winds could extend outward 80 miles to the NE of the center and 60 miles to the SW of the center.
Damaging winds of over 55 mph could extend outward 140 miles to the NE and 105 miles to the SW
Tropical Storm force winds (39mph or more) could extend outward up to 200 miles to the NE and 130 miles to the SW.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/011503W5.gif

raeolight
Unregistered

Re:Frances and GOM [Re: SC Bill]
      #22577 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:14 PM

Hey Bill,
My first post so I hope I am doing this right...

Next door in Bluffton here...I checked the coordinates of Bluffton on the site listed previously here, and it shows us about 180 miles away from the eye at its closest point. I know evacuation can be a madhouse here, but for now we are waiting it out.

Take care!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: Ed in Va]
      #22578 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:16 PM

This was posted on Storm2K by a professional met relative to the new GFS run..... for what its worth.....

""First off, the new GFS is too far north in the short term. By 00Z tonight, it has Frances at around 22.9n 71.3w. That means it would have to gain a full degree latitude from now until 00Z.... not goint to happen with a 280-285 heading.

Secondly, I remain baffled at the GFS first moving the storm north INTO a 589-590 dm ridge. Synoptically, it digs the west coast trough which in turn develops the ridge over the east... with the ridge axis to the west of Frances. This tells me the storm continues WNW.

Third, it stalls the storm off of the east coast...waits for the west coast trough to progress east, then lifts it into GA/SC. I think the stalling concept is absurd given the strength and orientation of the ridge.

Those are my thoughts as to why the 12Z GFS is yet again out to lunch."""

I don't think he gives it much credit...

Colleen A.

Frances' Eye [Re: Frank P]
      #22579 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:17 PM

The Chief Met in Orlando said that we will see fluctuations in the eye either due to strengthening, repositioning of the eyewall, etc. But I think you're right, too.

Here's something else he said: that this storm is the size of TEXAS and the windfield (not the winds themselves) span an area from the Keys to Atlanta. If that gives anyone food for thought, take it with some Alza Celtzer. We have sitting projectiles all over the place, from Tampa to Daytona. They still haven't picked up the debris from Charley, and Orlando is in fast-track mode trying to do this. They also said that watches/warnings would probably go up tonight because of the amount of people they will have to evacuate and that voluntary evacuations of special needs people will probably start in the morning on the east coast. We still have a lot of people from FEMA here, so that is an inhibiting factor for hotel reservations. I mean, where the heck are all these people going to go?
What a nightmare.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Ed geary
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: fredwx]
      #22580 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:19 PM

Colleen, I work in Orlando, just north of Colonial Drive on John Young Parkway.

Sky is blue, winds are calm and it's actually pretty nice!

Ed G
Clermont

Colleen A.

Re: Hurricane Frances In the Morning [Re: Ed in Va]
      #22581 - Wed Sep 01 2004 01:24 PM

I may be able to address that one model: at 10:30am, they were doing an EM conference in Seminole County. After that, they had the met on in Orlando. He said that all but one model (as of today) have come into line with a se central Florida landfall, except for one that takes it up to S. Carolina. He said that was the only one out of 25 models to do that, so I wouldn't put much credence in it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 45891

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center