F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Track Shift [Re: wxman007]
      #22905 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:30 AM

I just looked at the new track map on Orlando's Channel 9 and Polk County is back in the mix. Is Stewart saying that another shift to the south is possible to the track at 5am or was he talking about the current one? I'm thinking he's talking about the next track.

Also...they just mentioned that Polk County could see winds 50-75mph w/16+" of rain. I take it those are sustained winds. If there was any good news out of that forecast, it was that we would be on the "good side" of the hurricane. I suppose that could change if the track changes more to the west again.

Also mentioned that the NHC could do something unprecedented: issue hurricane warnings in the morning for what is now under hurricane watch areas. That would indicate to me that they are NOT looking for a turn to the north/north-west and they are not expecting Frances to come to a screeching halt as was mentioned earlier.

Am I on the right track here?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
GFS is coming in.... [Re: BillD]
      #22906 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:31 AM

Out to 6 hrs so far....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

MIAMIFL
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: BillD]
      #22907 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:31 AM

MAYOR ALEX P. IN DADE COUNTY SAYS "BUSINESS AS USUAL TOMORROW", EVEN WITH THE DISTINCT POSSIBILITY WITH A SIGNIFICANT WESTERLY CORRECTION IN THE NEXT 5 HOURS -- GO FIGURE

WARNING EXPECTED FOR DADE BY 5 A.M. ACCORDING TO NORCROSS

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
H2Ocean [Re: BillD]
      #22909 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:32 AM

H2Ocean,
Get out of there, dude! I've seen the SLOSH models for Merrit Island. I'll post them if I find them. Merritt Island wills disappear if Frances hits near there. You won't have time to evacuate by the time you figure that out. A sturdy house won't do you much good if it has five feet of water on top of it.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: BillD]
      #22911 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:34 AM

Still confused though since the 0Z GFS run has been out since after 10 and shows the same path. LOL. Odd stewart wouldnt see this. Maybe he ment to 6z run? who knows. Any reply on that Jason? Clark? TY

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22912 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:34 AM

Hey Phil, Sorry about my comments. I didnt see the point you were making. I now understand you were just trying to narrow down the track for the sake of all of us so we dont go crazy. I think this storm has already taken a high toll on alot of us, and its still 48-72 hours from landfall. This past month has been amazing huh?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
RE: Earlier post about bad dropsondes... [Re: StormHound]
      #22914 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:35 AM

I'm guessing that was misinterpreted along the way. The information we are getting now is probably what was feeding in at FSU. I would guess that the bad data was with regards to the strength of the ridge, which they found out about by dropping the dropsondes. Right information, probably confused as it went through a few ears...

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Track Shift [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22915 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:36 AM

I can't speak for Mr. Stewart, but I think he is anticipating the 00Z runs to be further west (as am I) and that might necessitate a need to shift the track a little further west/south.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: GFS is coming in.... [Re: wxman007]
      #22916 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:36 AM

Maybe it's the contrarian in me, but I am going with a farther north solution. The GFS has taken a beating of late, but now the ETA is much farther N. and E., and so were some of the other models, so now it needs to be seen whether or not bad data was entered. Bolstering this in my opinion, is that I think the stretching out of the storm is an indication it may be trying to turn. Every time a situation like this comes up, I think of Gilbert. It was supposed to turn between the Yucatan Pen. and recurve, but the monster created its own environment, and would not turn. How high is my confidence? It's looking up at my feet.

Tanbark
Unregistered

Re: stewart's piece [Re: HanKFranK]
      #22917 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:37 AM

Hank, thanks for the good post. I'm in Murrell's Inlet, S.C., about 15 miles S. of Myrtle Beach. Just how "out of the picture" is upper coastal S.C.?

not very likely it will come your way. if the storm is bending right tomorrow, consider the possibility... but this one is most likely going ashore well south of you. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Thu Sep 02 2004 04:26 AM)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Track Shift [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22918 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:38 AM

I think they are being cautious at this point because they don't know what the data correction is going to do to the models.

What I read between the lines in Stewart's discussion is that it is possible that the model consenus will shift further south and west. If this shift is significant, they will have to go with Hurricane Warnings for areas that a few hours ago were thought to be on the left edge of the cone, or outside it, and are now in the middle of it.

I have great respect for the folks at the NHC, and it is times like this that I am very glad I don't work there.

Bill

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: scottsvb1]
      #22919 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:38 AM

The 00Z GFS is NOT out...it is coming out as we speak....as I answered above, the correct data is incorporated into the 00Z runs, which are running NOW.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Track Shift [Re: wxman007]
      #22920 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:39 AM

OMG sorry Jason,,,Talk about lack of sleep????I been looking at the 12Z run, Jason Fire me and bring in Rick on a boat to replace me. LOL I need more sleep then work and rest of time analizing all the data I get and info from other, zzzz even my girlfriend got mad cause i wouldnt go to a movie.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Track Shift [Re: scottsvb1]
      #22922 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:43 AM

thru 36hrs so far,,same as 18Z run. It has this going 325dg.

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Track Shift [Re: scottsvb1]
      #22923 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:43 AM

Why would anyone want to go to a movie with a major landfalling hurricane going on??

Bill

lis
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: TAZRACER]
      #22924 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:44 AM

I am in Fort Lauderdale. Can anyone tell me what their opnion is if I leave in the early am tomorrow and drive up the to coast of NC, do you think I will be able to make it out of the state before this thing hits? I value all of your opions. Please help. Thanks.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Up close and personal [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22925 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:44 AM

Changed the format of this map to include more streets, highways and cities. Also included approximate path of Charley for reference.

I will update the Wind Field graphics with the next significant change in coordinates.
More detailed map

Colleen, if you are over by George Jenkins HS (sluethed by prior posts), you are definitely in the wind field based on 11pm advisory. According to the NHC forecast, the HS is exactly 52 miles from the center of the eye at 8pm Saturday (if I calculated the time right)

Doombot!
Unregistered

Re: Up close and personal [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #22926 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:49 AM

Quote:

Changed the format of this map to include more streets, highways and cities. Also included approximate path of Charley for reference.

I will update the Wind Field graphics with the next significant change in coordinates.
More detailed map

Colleen, if you are over by George Jenkins HS (sluethed by prior posts), you are definitely in the wind field based on 11pm advisory. According to the NHC forecast, the HS is exactly 52 miles from the center of the eye at 8pm Saturday (if I calculated the time right)

Skeeto: Based on your map I think you live about a mile from our house.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #22927 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:49 AM

Skeeto...you just made my knees weak. I live right across the STREET from George Jenkins High School. We walk to the football games there. When you say "windfield", what kind of winds are you talking about? (I'm hoping for the best here, can ya tell?)
My husband is so mad at himself for not getting that generator.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #22928 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:50 AM

Awesome graphic Skeeto! I did have a fondness for the Cone of Hurricane Winds. But I love the map, and the overlay of the Charley path is brilliant! (Even if I am just slight NE of where they cross, which gives me a queasy feeling.)

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37825

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center