F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Terra D
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: ticka1]
      #23169 - Thu Sep 02 2004 11:39 AM

I realize that models constantly change with new information, but the UKMET model last night showed a considerable western track after Francis hits Florida. This was the first model to suggest such a path. Is there any merit to it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed G
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: Terra D]
      #23170 - Thu Sep 02 2004 11:52 AM

If one does not have enough material to board up all windows of a house, which side/s should one concentrate on protecting?

NLBJAX
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: Terra D]
      #23171 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:07 PM

I am in Jacksonville. 95 North is a parking lot and has been since about 7 a.m. Gas supply is running out...I heard by this afternoon. I don't know which way is best to go at this point, since the storm appears to be as big as the entire state!

Proflhb
Unregistered

Advice from Punta Gorda [Re: Terra D]
      #23172 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:09 PM

This did help. We are all so focused on what to do before the storm, we haven't even thought about the days following the storm. Good luck to you with your cleanup from Charley.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Miami Beach told to evacuate [Re: Ed G]
      #23173 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:09 PM

According to the Weather Channel and nbc6 in Miami, Miami-Dade County officials have ordered ALL 320,000 residents of Miami Beach to a Mandatory evacuation.......

I'm sure the city of Miami will be next....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: Ed G]
      #23174 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:10 PM

Looks like a northerly jump again.

ShawnS

lois
Unregistered

to high rise junkie [Re: cooljunkie]
      #23175 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:11 PM

They are "closing down" Miami Beach and all barrier islands. Just came in..the order.

That means you will be told to leave. They will not come with guns to evict you but...they will tell you to leave and advise you that there will be no emergency medical or fire rescue available in case of an emergency.

It is best to leave.. move inland to a friend or to a shelter.

IF you do stay.
Move into the interior hallways of the building which are safer IF the storm comes your way and winds intensify. Go to lower floors rather than higher floors as winds are faster the higher up you go. This is ONLY IF Frances were to come in south of the landfall which should be landfalling further north.

Either way.. stay in interior hallways in a condo if the weather.

BUY a WXR RADIO NOW.. because they can run off a 9volt battery IF your cable/tv goes out.

later lois

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Re: It Shifts Left [Re: NLBJAX]
      #23176 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:12 PM

The 12Z models should be coming out, but I can't find them. I did find the Canadian, and looks very bad. It takes the storm north along the coast, then turns it west across FL near Melbourne and back into the Gulf. That could be a worst case scenario as it would create damage up the coast and then across and then on the west coast and then another landfall somewhere on the northern gulf coast. OUCH!!!! On a side note, I have friends that closed on a house in Melbourne this past weekend. luckily, they haven't moved down there yet, but since they aren't there, they cannot board up their house. I have warned them that it could be heavily damaged when they return.

c ray

Reged: Tue
Re: my thoughts and questions [Re: Ricreig]
      #23177 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:13 PM

Richard,
Thank you for your input. Live in a new CBS 1 story home a couple miles inland in MLB, have the windows boarded, but the thought of riding out Cat IV winds does not appeal to me. Especially with the 11AM shift back northward, I think I'm outta here. 30 yrs. in FL, and the worst I've seen was the brush with Irene. Don't feel I'm gonna be that lucky this go round. Everyone please be safe.

eligrace
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #23178 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:13 PM

Is that a wobble-I saw it on my local news also Fox 13

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: to high rise junkie [Re: lois]
      #23179 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:13 PM

FYI I'm mirroring the main page and spotlight page on the image server, so it won't "refresh" until every two minutes or so. ( Comment counts, etc) it will also say you aren't logged in at the top even if you are... Ignore it, soon as you go to these boards you will be "logged in" again". This is an effort to reduce bandwidth and strain on this server.

Thanks.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

#23180 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:16 PM

It may be more than just a jog this time. I'm not betting on it, but I wonder if just maybe that northerly turn ends up happening after all. Who knows?

ShawnS

nervous/curious
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: MikeC]
      #23181 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:17 PM

Will this affect Ft.Lauderdale/North Miami area?

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: nervous/curious]
      #23182 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:24 PM

After closer investigation, I think,once again, it was more of the eye being a little ragged and restructuring itself.

ShawnS

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Loc:
      #23183 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:29 PM

I've gone through the nervous, anxious stage and now, I'm pumped up and "ready for Frances"

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 02 2004 12:37 PM)

TAZMAN
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #23184 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:35 PM

I am anxious to see the lates SKEETER production !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clermont

Shawn W.
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Charleston, S.C.
      #23185 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:36 PM

Just curious, what did Floyd's track look like a 24 hours before it turned? Were the majority of tracks in agreement that it would go into Florida or what?

I definitely don't see this turning at this point, but local mets are still telling us it could happen.

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Charley Lessons... the hard way. [Re: MikeC]
      #23186 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:36 PM

I was in Arcadia when Charley's eye came straight through. It was still Cat IV and terrifying.

A few more tips:

1. Fill every possible recepticle with water. Tubs, washing machine, buckets. We had no running water for a week and then it was muddy for another week. Even if you don't drink the water, you can use it for washing.

2. A bottle of bleach. 8 drops to one gallon of water, shake and let it sit for half an hour makes it potable.

3. We reinforced our garage door by putting 2 x 4's against it and then backing the cars up to them to press tightly on the door from both inside and outside. We couldn't figure a better way to brace it and this worked. Lost part of roof but flimsy old garage door held. :-)

4. DON'T venture out during winds "just to check". One man did that here and was killed by flying aluminum and another did the same and was killed by an oak limb.

5. DON'T take for granted that the NHC forecast is right on target until an hour before landfall. Forecast was for Manatee County right up until an hour before it hit 75 miles South of the predicted landfall point. Not the NHC's fault. These things have a mind of their own!

6. If you start feeling winds, don't try to go anywhere. It's already too late. We saw so many people stuck in cars. No motel rooms. Not a good place to ride out the storm.

7. My ears popped and my head hurt intensely during the worst of the storm. I'd never heard of that and it scared the daylights out of me. It's normal due to the rapid pressure changes and it will pass once the storm does.

8. Get Cash. Get Cash. Get Cash. I can't stress this enough. Even when stores reopen they can't process credit cards without phones/electric. ATM's don't work either.

9. Tarps. Purchase 2 large ones in case you do have damage. Repairs are slow in coming when every single person needs work done, including the homes of the workers. These can help keep you dry over the weeks waiting for repairs.

Our prayers are with you all.

-Bev

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

LisaP
Unregistered

#23187 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:40 PM

Scott, I think you would be fairly safe in a 1 story home, but I would board up windows and when it becomes really windy, find a safe haven such as a room that may not have windows. IF you don't have one of them, it is probably safe to say you might want to get in touch with the American Red Cross- and find a local shelter. Also, if you have a lot of trees surrounding your home, it is also advisable to find a location in your home that a tree wouldn't be able to hit, OR again, find a local shelter. These spawns of the devil AKA Hurricane Charley and Frances, are no joke!! Good luck and stay safe. Pray that my flight that I've had planned for 2 months now for my brothers wedding in NY doesn't get cancelled.

RAD,not logged
Unregistered

Re: Charley Lessons... the hard way. [Re: Bev]
      #23188 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:41 PM

WELL SAID , BEV

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51673

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center