F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Palm Beach County [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #23229 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:49 PM

the latest advisory is out and shows almost more of a NW movement, although they are still calling it a wnw movement.

.4 degrees north .5 degrees west from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
OK.... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #23230 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:50 PM

I am in the office and getting ready for the night...

For anyone coming from S or Central FL up our way to evacuate, we are going to start hourly updates tomorrow just for you guys...we are the NBC affiliate for the areas between TLH and PNS, so if you want info, we will do our best to have it on the air.

Thoughts to follow as I get started with analysis....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: OK.... [Re: wxman007]
      #23231 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:57 PM

949? Wow, what a jump!

They said that it should turn NW in the next 24hrs but, again, I think it already has made that turn.

ShawnS

CASps
Unregistered

Re: Stuart, fl [Re: Robert]
      #23232 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:58 PM

Any input............ If you had a choice to be almost a direct hit by the eye or further away but NE quadrant.... which one? Clermont or Apopka... single story or two story in Apopka

john03
Unregistered

Re: eywall [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #23233 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:59 PM

looking at sat.... looks like eye wall has took a hit..... eye is almost gone....could this be a major eye wall replacement going on......also i think she has slowed!!!!!! last 1hr appears to slowed and maybe a little north movment.... recon only had 95mx fl winds while ago....pressure way up.....what is she doing?
she might fall to cat 3 at 5adv....

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Latest thoughts [Re: alan]
      #23234 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:59 PM

Here is the midday update from my friend Thomas:

Looking at the latest satellite images and RECON data CAT 4 Frances continues on a 285-290 heading at approximately 13 mph. Outflow looks excellent except I see a little impingement on the WNW side, maybe a little shear and/or dry air. Overall Frances continues with a slow pressure fall and increase in wind speed. She may flirt with CAT 5 status for a while later today.

Looking at all of the models, virtually all have come further west with a landfall somewhere along the Florida coast. Some of my colleagues that I respect very much still forecast a probable miss for the Florida east coast. Of course I hope that they are correct and while I understand their thinking I think that chance is virtually nil now.

It appears at the moment that Palm Beach is the Frances bullseye, the southern end of my predicted landfall window. BUT my original forecast landfall of Ft. Lauderdale-Miami may ultimately still verify. Also in my opinion a westward track through the Florida Keys and/or the Florida Straits is more probable then a NW-N track east of Florida.

A landfall at Palm beach would mean a probable CAT 4-3 hurricane across the inland central peninsula including the Orlando metro area, a region with millions of people and unfathomable billions of $$$ of property and then possibly into south Georgia. At this moment it's to early to tell where Frances would exit at into the Gulf Of Mexico "if" she comes ashore in the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami window. My guess would be pretty much a straight line to Naples-Fort Myers, then on to Texas, with a lesser chance of an exit at Venice-Sarasota then on to Louisiana.

That's my .02 for today but what do I know?!

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: OK.... [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #23235 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:03 PM

Rapid Scan Sat Ops are the bomb....

From the regular 15/30 min imagery I can see the "NW Turn"...but if you look at the GOES 12 Rapid Scan you can see that it definately a wobble...maybe a course resumption slightly more n, but still averaging WNW.

Eyewall replacement just completed, so we should see the pressures begin to fall again in the next few hours.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Palm Beach County [Re: alan]
      #23236 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:03 PM

loop
i agree it looks in the last frames to be going nw more than the wnw but the eye starts to cloud over.. i think it is reforming again?? time will tell

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Track Comparison - Andrew, Floyd, Frances, Donna [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #23237 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:07 PM Attachment (270 downloads)

Attached is a track comparison.

Open attachment to view.

-Bev

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Palm Beach County [Re: andy1tom]
      #23238 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:10 PM

No disrespect, but a possible TEXAS landfall? Gimmie a break! Nooooooooooo Way that will materialize!

ShawnS

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Update [Re: Bev]
      #23239 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:11 PM

from Accuweather:

"Category 4 Hurricane Frances, as of 2 p.m. EDT, is centered at 23.8 north and 74.4 west, 410 miles east-southeast of lower Florida east coast. Frances is moving toward the west-northwest at 13 mph. Maximum sustained winds are 145 mph. San salvador in the Bahamas reported a wind gust 86 mph. The central pressure is 949 millibars (28.02 inches). A hurricane warning is in effect for all of the Bahamas. A hurricane warning is now in effect for the Florida east coast, from Florida City northward to Flagler Beach, including Lake Okeechobee. A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch are in effect for the middle and upper Florida Keys, from south of Florida City, to the Seven Mile Bridge, including Florida Bay.

Frances is moving west-northwest at about 13 mph. The thing to watch is movement and speed. If Frances starts to slow down then this will buy more time for Florida and could allow the system to turn more northwesterly, away from Florida. The system will be affected by eye wall replacement in a way that as the inner eye wall dies the pressure will rise. Then the outer eye wall will contract causing the pressure to fall and the wind to increase. This process takes 6 to 10 hours. So, don't be surprised to see fluctuations of pressure and wind speed. An upper-level ridge of high pressure to the north of Frances is the key for movement. Meanwhile, an upper-level trough now coming into the northern Rockies will interact with the upper ridge later in the weekend and early next week. Each model has its own take on the interaction of this eastward moving upper-level trough and the ridge. Basically, a relatively strong high to the north of Frances will keep it on a course for Florida, and all the data and observations we have looked at this morning and midday say that is the most likely scenario. However, a weaker ridge, or high to the north will allow Frances to slow down and take on more of a northwesterly turn, meaning Georgia and the Carolinas are in line for a landfalling hurricane. As for the timing of landfall, keeping the storm's current forward speed and movement, Frances will make landfall between Melbourne and West Palm Beach Saturday. A slowdown, and subsequent turn to the northwest means a much later arrival, much farther up the east coast."

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: turning north, please please please [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #23241 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:14 PM

I'm still hanging with Joe B. Maybe a bit out of desperation. I'm giving him to Great Abaco to see if his requirements are met. I'm not ready to jump off that ship yet. Never the less, boarding up the house this afternoon no matter what.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Update [Re: LI Phil]
      #23242 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:14 PM

The second paragraph to the Accuweather statement they've had up all morning, I think. The first paragraph is what is always updated with the new advisory.

ShawnS

That's true, but I'm guessing not a lot of people read it.

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 02 2004 02:18 PM)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: OK.... [Re: wxman007]
      #23243 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:17 PM

Quick review of the water vapor seems to indicate that Frances is taking a hit wit some southerly shear, that is eminating from that pesky and still slowly retreating ULL that is now out to about 85W...that could also explain the NW movements of the last three hours...3hr coord's storm moved .4 n and .5 w...6hr .6 n and .9 w. so the official is still wnw...probably a temporary adjustment as the upper air currents are more e/w just ahead.

--------------------
doug

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Dvorak's [Re: doug]
      #23245 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:20 PM

02/1730 UTC 9.8N 27.7W T1.5/1.5 98
02/1745 UTC 18.9N 41.6W TOO WEAK 97
02/1745 UTC 23.8N 74.2W T6.0/6.5 Frances

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: OK.... [Re: doug]
      #23246 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:21 PM

Just a comment about the SC/NC scenario, the window is almost closed on it. It's not impossible, but it's not very likely either. Actually, I think It may shift a bit more left even. Right now its going through another eyewall replacement cycle best I can tell, so you really can't get a good idea of "jogs" when that's happening.

Artsy Fartsy
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Fernandina Beach, Florida
Re: Track Comparison - Andrew, Floyd, Frances, Donna [Re: Bev]
      #23247 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:23 PM Attachment (267 downloads)

Here is another track comparison.

See Attached.

Sorry for how crude it looks but it was quickly thrown together just for reference.

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Artsy Fartsy (Thu Sep 02 2004 02:26 PM)

Londovir
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Track Comparison - Andrew, Floyd, Frances, Donna [Re: Bev]
      #23248 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:23 PM Attachment (260 downloads)

Here's another one I just jury rigged up at home via Photoshop. Apologize for quality, trying to keep it simple for dial up users at home, and the original scales weren't linearly compatible.

Click the attachment to view.

Londovir

And thank you too!

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 02 2004 02:26 PM)

J Thomas
Unregistered

Re: It Shifts Left [Re: MikeC]
      #23250 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:30 PM

I am scheduled to fly out of Orlando International Airport on Saturday at 12 noon. How likely is it that my flight will be cancelled? Where will Frances be at 12 noon on Saturday?

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Eye Replacing [Re: MikeC]
      #23251 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:30 PM

Just a question I have. Would the track really change? Let's say it stays on the WNW track, which I still think is more NW, I could see the track maybe switching to the left some. BUT, with the eye replacements continually happening to the NW, wouldn't that just more less even things out? This I need help on.

ShawnS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51658

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center