F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
bobbi/lois
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Karen]
      #23460 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:54 PM

Hi there... strong feeder bands keep coming through.

Was at the ocean a bit. Really pretty mild between squalls. Still far away. Someone noted for it to feel that strong being so far away said something.

Most of the Beach areas are boarded up and inland some houses have boarded.

Watching the loop. Coverage 24 hours.

Worries me that the high looks to be building in on NW side of the storm on wv and Mayfield keeps mentioning it in Miami in interviews on different channels. Hard to get a feel for what is really going on.

Great maps, btw.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obshaz
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Karen]
      #23461 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:56 PM

Hey, Karen!

Feel exactly the same way. Walked outside and it was quiet, except for the screeching sound of saws biting into wood. At least I'm further up (Ormond Beach and no, I'm not getting complacent!) but I'm wishing that this thing would hurry up and get over!

And then, there's Ivan ... I wonder if we should even bother to take the wood down on Sunday ...

jiml9
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #23462 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:56 PM

anybody expecting this to go cat 5?if it doesnt what do you think?

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Sats... [Re: jlauderdal]
      #23463 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:56 PM

It has definitely slowed down to a crawl. Not sure about stalled. I feel very sorry for those islands right around the center at this point, they are getting hammered.

Bill

tony
Unregistered

Re: Updates [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #23464 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:57 PM

any advice on whether to go to clearwater as extended family wants us to do or stay put in orlando. we figure middle of the night traffic wont be as much a gridlock as daytime. I have young kids that went through Charley and we got pretty bad roof damage then(roofers replaced 80% with tar paper for now), so they are very scared while family in clearwater got nothing. I'm just scared we'll go from the pot to the fire....

bell
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: bobbi/lois]
      #23465 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:57 PM

what maps are you talking about?

kirdona
Unregistered

#23466 - Thu Sep 02 2004 08:59 PM

Completely and totally off topic.....UW Badger?!?!?! You rock!

spook
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: obshaz]
      #23467 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:01 PM

First the excitement of prepartions,then the wait,then the storm,then the aftermath ,then back to the realworld!

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
Re: Updates [Re: tony]
      #23468 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:05 PM

I don't think anyone can say whether either location is safer. With 2 million+ people evacuating the east coast, you will likely find that traffic will be bad at all times of the day and night. Here in Miami they are emphasizing to find a place to evac to within the county and not try to leave South Florida.

If it were me I would be talking to friends and neighbors close by to try and find a safer structure to move to, if necessary.

Bill

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #23469 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:07 PM

I beg you all tonight to be as realistic in your estimates of intensity forecasts as possible. Please we do not need any exaggerations at this point. Those of us in harm's way need to know the true picture so that we neither over react or under react. If you have true knowledge and experience, this is the time to share it.(I recognize the professionals when I hear one, but I don;t always recognize the pretenders those who make up weather jargon as they go along. I am fairly smart, but I am clinging to everyone's opinion to help me make the best decision I can make for myself and my husband who is in his 70's and will take some managing under the best of circumstances. I have been at work all day and I am trying to catch up as best I can without asking any repetitive questions. But I do have one about the graphic. It shows Lakeland towards the end of the cone of hurricane winds. My question based on what is known now, is how long is Lakeland expected to experience these winds since the hurricane's winds are some what flowing like an oscillating fan. ? An estimate is really appreciated and I am not holding anyone to any exact numbers. Thanks sincerely.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Sats... [Re: BillD]
      #23470 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:08 PM

IR ch2 shows that Frances definitely has reverted to a much more westerly course...the eye has clouded over, and the configuration of the system is changing to accomodate this more westerly trend....So Florida is not out of the woods, in my opinion...intesity should hold for now...it looks like it is cycling some.

--------------------
doug

obshaz
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: spook]
      #23471 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:10 PM

Lived and rented in FL for nearly 17 years and this was the first year that I bought renter's insurance. Isn't that some crap? Freaks the heck out of me!

spook
Unregistered

Re: Sats... [Re: doug]
      #23472 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:11 PM

latest sat.pic shows a larger eye,west jog?

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Sats... [Re: spook]
      #23473 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:14 PM

Jim C, from the TWC, just down the road from me. Never thought I would see him reporting live.

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Sats... [Re: doug]
      #23474 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:15 PM

Can you post a link for the IR ch2?

--------------------
Lat/Lon: 27.8, -80.5
Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Wilma '05, Ernesto '06, Faye '08

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
      #23476 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:18 PM

For what it's worth, Im watching the CBS 4 on line coverage and they have been talking to store owners and reporters through the Bahamas. Right now their wind radar is showing that Frances is whipping Cat Island now... And just as they went to Max Mayfield at NHC talking with Bryan Norcross, the feed got all screwy.....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

LONNY307
Unregistered

#23477 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:18 PM

I can't tell if she is moving at all on the Floater. Not good and if it stalls what next. I'm in Hollywood Fl. I don't think I'm going to get a direct hit but if she stalls it could wait for the High to rebuild and move her farther west. I sure hope that scenario doesn't come true but it's a thought.

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
      #23478 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:19 PM

Iam old fashioned and like to interpret observable data.
I continue to be impressed at the pressure falls in places like Marathon, Key West, and Naples....Marathon is 29.87; KW is 29.88, as is Naples, Miami. Opa Locka: and Ft.L. 29.87
Ft. P 29.91; FtMy29.91; SRQ 29.92 VB 29.93

Lower pressures further south and west? Hmmm!

--------------------
doug

unregistered
Unregistered

Re: Sats... [Re: Clark]
      #23479 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:19 PM

I have a question regarding the 120 mi per hour wind speed recorded in san salvador. Since the island is very small and only a small portion of the storm passed over it, could the island have experienced the less intense side of the hurricane? If the northeast quadrant of the storm had passed over the island would they have experienced winds closer to 140 miles per hour?

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Definite west jog IMO [Re: spook]
      #23480 - Thu Sep 02 2004 09:20 PM

Looking at both the IR and WV loops sure looks like a west jog to me.... eye not clear but basic eye wall discernable and noticable jog to the west of system evident during latest review of available GOES loops....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37986

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center