F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
bill06
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #23859 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:03 PM

been hearing news that the storm is really pulling itself back toegther and could reintensify before landfall

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Wobbles, Bobbles and Grovels.... Oh my.... [Re: Frank P]
      #23862 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:09 PM

I don't see much movement, either. Now..is the center on the island or off the island?
AFLAC!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Alex.K
Unregistered

not what we needed [Re: wxman007]
      #23863 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:12 PM

A two millibar drop in pressure is not significant when a storm is holding its own or intensifiying, but it means a tremendous amount when a storm is weakening. This is because a lower pressure usually means an end to weakening, as one could make a strong argument that the true strength of a hurricane (or any low) is measured by pressure.

Chopper Dave
Unregistered

Re: Wobbles, Bobbles and Grovels.... Oh my.... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #23864 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:14 PM

You guys who know what you're talking about: is there a chance that it will take a turn west and hit further south than predicted tracks have it going? How about the odds of it intensifying? Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Center moving towards SE Abaco [Re: bill06]
      #23865 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:14 PM

Looks to me Miami radar has a good pix on the eye approaching the SE Abaco Islands... shows up in the last couple of frames.... need more loops to determine direction

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kamx.shtml

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
Charleston question [Re: wxman007]
      #23866 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:16 PM

Long-time lurker, first time caller.

Noticed the latest dispatch from NHC now has Charleston (SC) with a <12% chance of making acquaintance with Frances in the next 72 hours. I keep seeing this stall and then a more Northward angle on her, and am not quite happy about it. With both Charley and Gaston I had to deal with power/cable out, downed trees, a wrecked garden, etc... and wonder if anyone has some thoughts?

Awesome board, by the way.
Best,
Anton in Charleston (well, the Pleasant side of the river)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #23867 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

I don't see much movement, either. Now..is the center on the island or off the island?
AFLAC!

I can't see a clear center right now. Probably due to the shear it was experiencing as well as its west side now interacting with Florida. Personally it looks like the "eye" starts to the SE of Great Abaco, tracks to the NW, gets right on top of the tip of the island and tracks close to due west.

--------------------
Check the Surf

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: Wobbles, Bobbles and Grovels.... Oh my.... [Re: AgentB]
      #23868 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:17 PM

She's back. On the GOES Floater IR, the CDO is established again and the eye is back. Can't get a direction yet since the eye just became visible.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

digitalssinc

Re: Center moving towards SE Abaco [Re: Frank P]
      #23869 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:19 PM

I am going to Destin tomorrow, has anyone heard what I should expect for the next few days there?

By the way, I have been monitoring this site for about 3 days now, and I have formed a tremendous respect for the people who work hard to give the truth.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Wobbles, Bobbles and Grovels.... Oh my.... [Re: PFSThunder]
      #23870 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:22 PM

first impression on the radar loop look to be somewhere between wnw and nw.... still wobbling around so not sure which or if a combination of both.... but you can certainly see it as it is hitting the SE part of the island...but I know its NOT north.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Update [Re: digitalssinc]
      #23871 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:22 PM

4 pm thoughts from Thomas:

Once again I post this email due to numerous requests asking my opinion on our current tropical trouble twosome!

Barely CAT 3 Frances "once again" wobbled right then back to the left today due to eye wall reformation (trochoidal). She is moving fairly slow at around 9 mph on a WNW heading and could slow done even more. At 2:30 pm EDT on Friday September 03, 2004 the center of Frances is just south of Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas. This position increases the chances of landfall on the east coast of Florida.

Looking at the 1830 UTC/1:30 pm EDT visible satellite imagery still shows a shrouded eye BUT with a BIG burst of convection in the right side of the eyewall. This big burst of convection should ensure a continued WNW track in the near term. Back on Wednesday September 01, 2004 I forecasted some SW shearing as Frances traversed to approximately 75 deg. west longitude and indeed that has happened during the past 24 hours. I still expect normal eyewall re-development within 18 hours as Frances moves over the near 90 deg. F waters of the Gulf Stream. I also have strong concerns that Frances will strengthen dramatically back to a strong CAT 4 when over the Gulf Stream prior to landfall.

Though we are still in for some circulation friction, trochoidal track wobble, eyewall reformation, as well as some minor strength fluctuation during the next 24 hours, I see no reason to change my forecasted landfall of between Palm Beach and Vero Beach as a strong CAT 4 but now on Saturday evening. BUT like with CAT 4 Charley, speed divergence could abruptly pull Frances ashore (sharp left turn). Otherwise a WNW track from the Palm Beach-Vero Beach window across inland Polk County to near or north of the Tampa Bay region back into the GOM is probable.

A good storm chaser location will continue be the Hobe Sound-Port St. Lucie window BUT BE SAFE. As Frances tracks WNW towards the northern Tampa Bay metro area after landfall, I still expect inland east central Florida to see a long period of 111-155 mph winds (CAT 3-4) and inland west central Florida 75-110 mph winds (CAT 1-2). I would also expect 10-20" of rainfall and numerous tornadoes. With most of the central peninsula saturated from yet another very wet summer I would expect extensive inland flooding problems. A second landfall of a CAT 1-2 Frances is also possible in the Florida panhandle or Mobile, AL.

I do continue the chances of a NW-N track turn missing Florida to the east at 20%. I also add that there is a 30% possibility that a CAT 4 Frances sits quasi-stationary over the Gulf Stream right off of the coast for a day or two and then heads N-NE. And last but not least, a 30% chance that a CAT 4 Frances eyewall skims the coastline and eventually goes ashore at a Cape Canaveral to New Smyrna Beach window.

As I surmised yesterday evening tropical depression #7 east of the Windward Islands "was" T.S. Ivan. My impression continues that Ivan will stay on a track south of the Greater Antilles through the Caribbean Sea and a future CAT 5 threat.

My .02 for today.

Routine disclaimer. As I've officially retired from space and atmospheric weather forecasting, confidence in my forecast of tropical cyclone path and intensity is lower, as I no longer pay for real time raw weather forecasting products.

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Loc: Pensacola
Re: not what we needed [Re: Alex.K]
      #23872 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:25 PM

Well if Frances can just maintain herself now and keep the convection going she'll be ok. Im still thinking landfall around West Palm Beach, Cat 3, 115-120 mph and maybe a few gust up to 135 or so. When do the next model runs come out? I learned how to read all of them, Im just to lazy to figure out all that UTC, zulu stuff lol. Any help is appreciated.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Panhandle Weather this weekend.. [Re: digitalssinc]
      #23873 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:26 PM

Saturday, and most of the day on Sunday should be really nice...things should begin to go downhill late Sunday...depending on the track and the structure of Frances as she moves north, you may or may not get rain as far west as Destin....a little to early to tell...I'd bet on at least some rain on Monday.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

concerned
Unregistered

Re: Panhandle Weather this weekend.. [Re: wxman007]
      #23874 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:29 PM

What about Gainesville? We live about a mile W of the beach in St Johns County, and I'm thinking of heading inland

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Panhandle Weather this weekend.. [Re: concerned]
      #23875 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:32 PM

Jason what are your thoughts on a possible 2nd landfall in the panhandle ?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Londovir
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Vortex Decoding Tool [Re: Frank P]
      #23876 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:33 PM Attachment (270 downloads)

Hello all! I'm not a met, not even a weather person much, but I am a programmer, and I've come up with a tool that hopefully can be of some use to someone.

The attachment to this post is a text file. (You can't post HTML attachments on here.) If you save the attachment as an .HTML file on your computer, and open it on your web browser, it will contain a text window and two buttons (Clear and Decode). If you follow the link on the page (near the top), a new window will open containing the most recent hurricane Vortex Recon Report. If you highlight and copy the recon report, then paste it into the box on my program, you can press the Decode button, and it will convert it into (slightly) easier to read English...

I don't promise it's going to work 100%, and it only can handle recod vortex reports, not drop or supplemental (YET), so try it if you feel like it. PM me if you have problems, suggestions, etc.

--------------------
Londovir

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Melbourne Discussion [Re: digitalssinc]
      #23877 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:34 PM

Well, seems like this year mother nature is catching up for we haven't had in the way of tropical weather for so long.

From MLB

". HPC DAYS 6-7 PROGS SHOW STRONG HIGH PRES PUSHING A COLD FRONT INTO THE MS VALLEY WITH T.C. Ivan LURKING TO THE SOUTH OVER THE CARIBBEAN. THE MAGNITUDE OF ERRORS ASSOCIATED WITH FORECASTS AT THAT LONG OF A TIME FRAME ARE WELL KNOWN - STAY TUNED NEVERTHELESS...THIS SEEMS TO BE A PAYBACK YEAR OF SORTS FOR FLORIDA ."

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

seaturtle
Unregistered

#23878 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:34 PM

thanks for all your efforts! Don't listen to the gripers. Let's give 'em th benefit of the doubt: maybe they're just scared. Keep up all the interesting observations. I'm in NJ but only 20 feet from the sea, so always interested!

digitalssinc

Re: Panhandle Weather this weekend.. [Re: wxman007]
      #23879 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:36 PM

Jason,

Thanks for the quick response. You are farther east than i will be. Everyone keeps says how it will go through FLA and jump back in the gulf, how real is this scenario?

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Vortex Decoding Tool [Re: Londovir]
      #23880 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:41 PM

Awesome.... works great for me.... thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39658

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center