F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: Unregistered User]
      #23798 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:51 PM

This storm alarms me mostly because it did weaken somewhat. People seem to be breathing a collective sigh of relief, that or feeling the weakening will become a trend. I would love nothing more than have this hurricane dissolve, sadly, that is not going to happen. Right now, I think the nightmare scenario would be to start moving due west with shear relaxing, slide over the warmer waters and and hit even further left.

Keep in mind, at this point, nothing is really out of bounds for this storm, It's behaving exactly the way it should, as someone said on here last night, it's just we don't have the tools to understand what it's going to do yet. So it looks like the storm is misbehaving from our imperfect understanding.

Also, A thank you of graditude to all the Mets who have tried their best to understand this storm. Even with all our fancy tools, weather forecasting is problematical at best. (maybe I should go back and get a Masters Degree and join on somewhere LOL... it could be fun....or a nightmare of stress on days like this)

Hang in there everyone...and once this one is done, take a deep breath and we'll start looking at Ivan.

Is it December yet?

and knowing this year... We still might have something brewing!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: MLB HLS [Re: Clark]
      #23799 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:52 PM

clark
with the recent changes on how long before you can give us the inside scoop on what is going on??

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: reintensification and eyewall rebuilding project going on now [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #23800 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:53 PM

Hey Storm Cooper, Good to see you posting again. I have noticed quite a few models (Ukmet, CMC, NOGAPS and ECMWF) all bring Frances as a Strong TS or Minimal hurricane very close to our area (Panhandle). Yet NHC still keeps the storm over land into Georgia. Not that I disagree with them but I've only seen the GFDL with that solution. Havent seen any other models except the ones I mentioned. So what are your thoughts? Im not as concerned here as you probably should be, but I've been very intrested in hearing your thoughts about where a possible second landfall may be, if there is one. Thanks

TinaLee
Unregistered

Re: MLB HLS [Re: alan]
      #23801 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:53 PM

Channel 6 is using a VIPIR forecase model.

This model shows another path that moves the storm along the coast instead of making landfall near Vero Beach, Fla.

According to them, the VIPIR model would keep the strong winds in the storm's northern quadrant away from Central Florida. I think it's wishful thinking on their part, but that's just my call.

Can anyone else who is more knowledgeable explain this model they are using that seems so divergent from all others right now?

TinaLee

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: MLB HLS [Re: MrSpock]
      #23802 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:54 PM

WMKG in Orlando always does that.. They always adjust the track to be different. Hoping I guess one time they will be right.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: andy1tom]
      #23803 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

he probably has a real job and hasn't had time to do it. nobody is paid here, and when most get a chance they will add their input.

Yeah! By day, President of the largest property management staffing company in America, but by night... Skeetobite!

Skeetobite is a hobby. Maps are updated as info and time becomes available.

Be safe everyone-

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: exploded [Re: Unregistered User]
      #23804 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:00 PM

The storm is going to move with some wobbles through the islands. Despite their small size, they do have some affect in a frictional nature. I still have the thought in the back of my mind of a stall.

TinaLee
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #23805 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:01 PM

Skeeto-

I have to say your images are absolutely amazing! I can hardly wait until the new ones come up.

That said, the latest one seems harder for me to understand. Is it because it is size adjusted, more 'close-up' on the state?

Keep them coming - from here in Orlando they offer me a real look at what's coming.

TinaLee

jester
Unregistered

Re: reintensification and eyewall rebuilding project going on now [Re: DroopGB31]
      #23806 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:01 PM

I saw an interview with max mayfield(dir of the NHC miami) on NBC 6 last night in south florida. He said they were using the GFDL for their official track. i'm not sure if that has changed today, but that might be why their track goes to georgia rather than the panhandle.

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Hurricane hunters found an eye [Re: Rasvar]
      #23807 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:03 PM

it's 20 miles wide and open to the SW
but it is there...

Not what I want to hear.
Mark

edwardecfl
Unregistered

Re: MLB HLS [Re: TinaLee]
      #23808 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:04 PM

channel 6 was still calling for 40-60 mph winds in kissimmee during charlie before i lost power-this was as 80mph winds were blowing down trees in my yard !

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: reintensification and eyewall rebuilding project going on now [Re: DroopGB31]
      #23809 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:05 PM

I'm not really concerned as S FL is where the real problems will be. As for us up here, I'm just patient. Also keep in mind how many times the NHC track has changed. I'll keep watching and see what will verify.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #23810 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:05 PM

hope i didn't step on toes but it frost my a$$ when people criticize those of you that go out of your way to make this a great board. same goes for you jason.

Alex.K
Unregistered

eye [Re: Clark]
      #23811 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:06 PM

yep, it looks like the eye is peeking out again from under the clouds.

I predict little change in strength before landfall.

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
      #23812 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:07 PM

Clark, That was an excellent observation and analysis of what caused the weakening. It makes total sense to me. Is this upper low what was causing the SW shear and providing all the dry air being entrained into Frances? Looking at the satellite I dont see and upper low around anymore so Im assuming its been destroyed? I guess alittle strengthening could occur then if this is the case but its not occurring at the moment as the pressure is now 960mb. Oh well, its another wait and see day.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: exploded [Re: Rasvar]
      #23813 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:07 PM

Unfortunately, I disagree on the explosion...The visible shows a loss of convective activity near the center and that is confirmed by the IR which shows warming of the tops...I think I see dry air wrapping all the way around into the center
I don't think this looks healthy at all.

--------------------
doug

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: TinaLee]
      #23814 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Skeeto-

I have to say your images are absolutely amazing! I can hardly wait until the new ones come up.

That said, the latest one seems harder for me to understand. Is it because it is size adjusted, more 'close-up' on the state?

Keep them coming - from here in Orlando they offer me a real look at what's coming.

TinaLee

Important
The latest image was adjusted to show the true scale of the hurricane (red line) and tropical storm force (blue line) wind fields at the time of the last NHC advisory.

Make no mistake folks, this thing is huge, regardless of intensity at landfall, if you live in the USA and are south of Georgia and east of Texas, you will get up close and personal with Frances soon.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: MLB HLS [Re: TinaLee]
      #23815 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:10 PM

With regards to this model some have mentioned a newstation in orlando area is using is probably just a copy of the ETA model. Because if you look at latest 12Z ETA it has storm staying just offshore and moving north. This looks to do to ETA weakening the ridge in upper levels, but looking at latest analysis 17z it looks as though ETA is weakening rdge too much.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: exploded [Re: doug]
      #23816 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:10 PM

Just got thru reading everyone's posts. Great stuff as always. TWC mentioned she's currently weakening and DEFINITELY has taken an almost due west path (showed it on the visual with the little white line).

Keep up the great stuff...now that I'm caught up I'll see what I can do about finding stuff you guys request.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: exploded [Re: LI Phil]
      #23817 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:24 PM

pressure at 2pm up to 962 mb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39592

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center