F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow
      #23886 - Fri Sep 03 2004 04:50 PM

Frances, still a Category 3 storm, will fluctuate in intensity again, and may get a bit stronger a little bit before landfall likely sometime tomorrow afternoon. The biggest story, however, is that it will move slowly over the peninsula.

Good luck tomorrow all, prayers, and more to all my friends in Florida. I am out for the evening -- flying to atlanta tonight. Others will fill the gap tonight.

Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:

Melbourne (East Central Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Miami (South Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Key West (Florida Keys)Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa Bay (West Central Florida)Long Range Radar Loop
[url=http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/wxstatement.php?t=HLS&l=JAX]
Jacksonville (North Florida)[/url] - Long Range Radar Loop

Local county by county information will no longer be updated unles there is breaking news here -- it's just impossible to keep up because of the size of the area under Hurricane Watch. Use the links in the last article to view county emergency management webpages. Florida Disaster.org is the state em page, with links to locals as well.

Definitely more to come later...

** SITE NOTE ** This website is receiving way beyond record traffic today, it will be slow, it will go down ocasionally, but should be back up shortly when that happens. We've done everything we can to help this along short of dumping zillions into bandwidth and hardware to keep it going. Apologies in advance.

Jim Williams over at Hurricane City will be doing live broadcasts about Hurricane Frances startiing tonight at 8PM EST.

Event RelatedLinks
Miami Radar Long Range loop (Note the Miami NWS Radar hardware is having issues and may be down)
Frances Models -- This image animated over time
TD#9 Models -- This image animated over time
All model "Spaghetti" for Frances from hurricanealley
The Caribbean Hurricane Page - updates from the islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Nice color satellite image of Frances approach (Animated Version)
High Speed Satellite Loops of Frances (Click floater)

General Links
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: MikeC]
      #23898 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:26 PM

Mike, just an FYI, you may want to stop using that Hurricane Alley "Spaghetti Run" model map. They went PPV and that model run is from nearly two days ago.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

#23899 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:28 PM

Looking at the Miami radar I can see a definite w to wnw motion. The eye (center) is starting to come into view on it now.

ShawnS

eligrace
Unregistered

#23901 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:29 PM

Jason or anyone else could you tell me a site as to where i could get a windfield map ,for the current forecasted track.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
      #23903 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:29 PM

Okay, that met just answered all my questions. Either right in at Vero Beach, or just south of it around 5pm tomorrow night with winds 120+ plus...he was also using a model (the VIPIR ?) and he pointed out this model they were using at his weather center was now coming into line with the NHC'S forecast track now, no longer indicating a northwest/brush along the coast. He also said (and this is what he said, not ME) that is it is POSSIBILE that this storm could re-intensify to a CAT IV before making landfall.

I'm not saying this to scare anyone or be an alarmist, I'm just telling you what he said. So don't anyone yell at me, okay?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: Colleen A.]
      #23905 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:41 PM

looking at the Miami radar gives a weird presentation of the eye... yeah, front eye wall part of it looks to be moving west, not sure what the east eye wall is doing, its like hanging behind, thus the radar presentation hints that the eye is perhaps elongating from WNW to ESE.... I would think you would really see a much better developed eye on radar with a storm this strong...

No one yell at Colleen either...

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Latest Vortex [Re: Colleen A.]
      #23906 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:49 PM

Presure up, winds down...

Storm Frances: Observed By AF #984
Storm #06 in Atlantic Ocean
Date/Time of Recon Report: Friday, September 03, 2004 16:09:00
Position of the center: 25° 52' N 77° 16' W
Minimum Height Measured At Standard Level Of 700mb: 2748m (Normal: 3011)
Maximum Surface Winds Were: Not Estimated
No Bearing From Center To Estimated Surface Winds Was Measured
Maximum Flight Level Winds Were 90KT (103.5mph) From 136°
Maximum Flight Level Winds Were Measured 046nm (52.9miles) From Center At Bearing 034°
Minimum pressure: 960mb (28.35in)
Eye Wall Was < 50% Closed
Eye Did Not Have A Definable Form
Center Fix Established Using: Penetration Wind Pressure Temperature
Center Fix Established At Level(s): 700mb
Navigational Accuracy Measured At 0.1nm
Meteorological Accuracy Measured At 1nm

Kimmie

Reged: Tue
Loc: Lousiana
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: Frank P]
      #23907 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:49 PM

I noticed the same thing with the radar out of Miami. Looks to be heading WNW at this moment and now that it is within radar range we will be able to track her right into landfall. Doesn't seem possible that it would be moving as slow as they say??? I pray for Florida's sake she decides to become a fast mover! Hope everyone is where they need to be and SAFE! Kimmie

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Additional Vortex Message Data [Re: Kimmie]
      #23908 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:53 PM

provided by Londovir and his programming skills....

thanks Londovir....

Per the recon vortex message the eye did not have a definable form.... gee maybe that is why I'm having so much trouble trying to get it on radar....

Edited by Frank P (Fri Sep 03 2004 05:55 PM)

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
      #23909 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:53 PM

fyi - model spaghetti from "hurricane alley" is not updating anymore ... by paid subscription only now. Thanks Mike for keeping this board going! Maybe we'll hear from you in ATL.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: eligrace]
      #23910 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Jason or anyone else could you tell me a site as to where i could get a windfield map ,for the current forecasted track.

In progess... when done these maps will be avaiable at http://www.skeetobite.com

Busy locking down a home and a business... yikes - a CAT 1 over Lakeland, FL. Who would have guessed?

Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: Colleen A.]
      #23911 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:54 PM

The wind field of Frances has become considerably larger over the past 6 hours. I think Frances is going to have a difficult time wrapping up and becoming better organized before landfall. In my opinion, the intensity has leveled off and will remain between 95-105 knots until landfall.

Ronn

Edited by Ronn (Fri Sep 03 2004 05:55 PM)

Alberta Canada
Unregistered

#23912 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:54 PM

Thoughts are with you Florida....batton down and hang on!

teal61
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Spring, TX (30.1N 95.5W)
Frank P.... [Re: Frank P]
      #23913 - Fri Sep 03 2004 05:55 PM

After looking at the Miami radar loop and the rapid scan sat loop I've come to the conclusion that she's stationary right off of the southern point if that island (don't remember the name of it). If you look at the composite reflectivity long range loop you can pick up some lighter returns moving east around the center and it looks to be just south or southeast of the islands southern point. There may be some movement off to the west northwest but it is very slow.

Upon further review, I am fairly confident that is the center, but I now believe it's over or just east of the southern part of the island. Again, the composite reflectivity loop shows this very well especially when it's run at a faster speed. Hard to tell about movement maybe very slowly wnw, but I think its nearly stationary and the last two recon fixes would seem to confirm that. If this is the center it's about 30 miles or so east of the NHC's 5pm position.

Edited by teal61 (Fri Sep 03 2004 06:22 PM)

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: Ronn]
      #23914 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:01 PM

You can easily see the eyewall opening up on the west side in the latest visible. So much for the weakening being over.

ShawnS

schmoo
Unregistered

Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: Ronn]
      #23915 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:01 PM

is another more northerly shift expected?
I'm confused by the direction it appears to be going and the projected landfall.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: schmoo]
      #23916 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:29 PM

Remember this stall is not unexpected. Unfortunately some had it stalling a bit further north, and some right where it is. The next forecasted motion that was supposed to take place after this stall was a movement just north of west. I believe the storm has felt it's way into the ridge, and now it will feel it's way along a "path of least resistance". That is supposed to be to the WNW, but anything can happen. Also, the storm has seemed to trend further south than each forecast had it at. With that in mind I still see it making landfall around WPB and tracking just north of west across the state.

--------------------
Check the Surf

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #23917 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:29 PM

Closer, more detailed tracking map available here:

http://www.skeetobite.com

Wind field map in progress - it's getting so big we can barely map it and display a reduced size image. Guess they'll just get bigger too!

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Rainfall Network [Re: schmoo]
      #23918 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:45 PM

Here's a link to some realtime rainfall data from South Florida Water Management District Useful for the next 24 hours at least. Shows about 0.50 inches of rain along Palm Beach coast this afternoon. Nothing compared with what Eleuthera and Abaco islands have been getting, and what's in store for parts of Florida! NHC is staying on track with Frances.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

erauwx
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Frances to Move Slowly Across Florida Tomorrow [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #23919 - Fri Sep 03 2004 06:46 PM

Definite burst in convective activity (on IR) ... anybody else notice?? Am I seeing things?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34718

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center