F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
rule
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Still West [Re: rule]
      #25619 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:07 PM

Still going West.

Anyone have a strength measurment?

Paging Yucatan, your plane is leaving....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SoonerShawn
Unregistered

The bottom line is... [Re: BillD]
      #25620 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:09 PM

good idea,just not working out the way it was meant to.

Now that I've had my say, I'm turning my attention back to Ivan.

ShawnS

rule
Weather Guru

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: BillD [Re: BillD]
      #25622 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:12 PM

Good point, Bill.

The Internet has really been an added component to coverage. It's only going to get worse.

While I'm at it, I would LOVE to donate some money to this site, but I've spent myself into a hole getting ready for Frances and Ivan. Maybe next month... I really would like to donate something because this site has been (at the least!) a stess outlet for me during all this.

jamserve
Unregistered

Re: NHC [Re: Rasvar]
      #25623 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:12 PM

How about a 5-day but only showing the cone with 3-day forecast points and not the 5-day points. That way the media can't point to a 5-day location and give people the impression they are in the path (or not).

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Still West [Re: rule]
      #25624 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:14 PM

Yes, still west. For awhile I thought maybe I was looking at it wrong, trying to evaluate general motion in increments that were too small. But...I just realized that the eye still has not made it north of Jamaica. It's obviously well to the west, but not north.

jultime
Unregistered

Re: BillD [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25626 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:16 PM

Yup, sick of Ivan.

The moving truck is supposed to be at my place Monday to load up to move back to Clearwater, FL. That's IF Ivan doesn't decide to go visit Tampa Bay. Perhaps by Monday morning we'll have a better idea on where Ivan is going. My intuition is that its not going to hit the west coast of Florida (fingers crossed)

And I also agree that the 5 day track is a waste of time.

I plan on getting hurricane ready as soon as I move into my house. At least the neighbors won't laugh at me anymore.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Recon [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25629 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:18 PM

Recon is airborne at this time from Biloxi.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
NHC 5 Day [Re: jultime]
      #25630 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:20 PM

Tick...tick...tick...getting close to 9/12

Never thought I'd say this, but I tend to agree with y'all that the 5 day has been a good experiment gone awry...too much uncertainty and not enough ...what...confidence? It's hard enough to do 72 hours, but 120 is really pushing it. I vote with the board on this one...scrap it. Or don't include it in the cone, because that cone is like 750 miles wide...

Anyone else with me?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Still West [Re: tenavilla]
      #25632 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:23 PM

I have a computer program that I use for tracking. I just pulled up my extended forecast from the 5pm discussion yesterday. The forecast just over 30 hrs ago was for the eye to pass just west of Montego Bay, right over Cayman Brac (the island to the far right) and just east of Havana. They had the US landfall just a little to the east of where they have it now. As far as timing, it was supposed to be over Cayman Brac right now. Obviously, none of that has come to pass Just goes to show how inaccurate hurricane forecasts can be.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: NHC 5 Day [Re: LI Phil]
      #25633 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:23 PM

I think the studies show that the 5 day forecasts are now as accurate as the 3 day forecasts used to be, that's why they now include them. Storms like this will always present a problem, but I don't think their previous 5 days' were that bad. It is just something we have to get used to. In fact, Isabel was nailed I believe. So for now, I'll be the dissenting voice. Of course, if it were up to me, I'd ask for a 10 day forecast.....

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
Re: 11pm discussion Yuk [Re: Frank P]
      #25639 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:28 PM

I have been watching the water vapor loop most of the day. It looks to me like Ivan is no longer squashed like it was on the N and NW, and the moisture around Ivan is lifting to the NW. I think Ivan is about to start its NW turn. I hope I am wrong for the Caymans' sake.

Bill

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: New Thread [Re: BillD]
      #25642 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:29 PM

New Thread posted-thanks

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Still West [Re: tenavilla]
      #25644 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

But...I just realized that the eye still has not made it north of Jamaica. It's obviously well to the west, but not north.

The last couple of NHC forecast did not call for it to be north of the northern edge of Jamaica until sometime after 2:00-3:00am EDT. 18.7N 80.5N was the 2:00am forecast from 5:00 PM. I think it will be just a tad off at 18.6N 80.6W around 2:00am.

KJJBCr
Unregistered

Re: Still West [Re: Rasvar]
      #25668 - Sat Sep 11 2004 11:47 PM

Do you realize that Charlie was exactly in the same place exactly one month ago. Look at one of the interactive sites where you can see the path of prior storms. I can not believe how similar Ivan and Charlie are!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22879

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center