F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: By the way... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25855 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:01 PM

Ivan is currently restructuring itself which is likely why it looks like it is wobbling west. This process should complete over the next few hours, and I would expect more of a shift after that. The current averaged motion of 300 deg. is only 15 deg. from true NW, so that is not much of a change. Here are 2 links of interest, the first has some nice graphics, the second is a water vapor sat pic which shows the strong trough digging in the central plains.

http://midatlanticwx.com/hw3/hw3.php?con...&hwvmetric=

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browse3.html

There is probably a better site that will put it in motion, but I haven't found it yet. The site I was using showed pics a hour or 2 old.

Here's a site with animation, although not many frames:

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconuswv.html

edited to fix link

Edited by MrSpock (Sun Sep 12 2004 12:59 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: By the way... [Re: MrSpock]
      #25856 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:08 PM

I was able to put into motion the last link with 5 hours of data, and the trough is digging well, now to the Texas, La. coast. The new GFS is continuing its trend of closing off a weak ULL over New England which is acting as a magnet to which it draws up the storm. This "should" be at 315 deg. or more within the next 12 hours in my opinion. This trough is looking like it is increasing its amplitude, as the ridge line builds north into Wyoming, forcing the base of the trough further south. This appears to be digging, not lifting out.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Scott [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25857 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:09 PM

Where have you been? I've said all along, and this is the last time I will say it, that it is NOT coming to Texas and I don't want it to anyway. Does this satisfy you now?

I'm just pointing out the chance of Ivan doing his own thing and still putting everyone along the whole gulf coast at risk. I'm just watching out for everyone.

ShawnS

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: The Turn? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25858 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:10 PM

The reason why I bring it Shawn is that Ivan has dodged alot of the land.I think that is why we might be seeing the stairstep now.Ivan goes little N feels the land persay then back WNW.Once is thru the YUC there is no land for a long ways.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #25859 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:11 PM

The arrival of the jet stream will cause the trough to strenghten, so this will have some affects on Ivan. That link really depicts the trough very well, also the ridge. Excellent work MrSpock.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

HMY
Unregistered

#25860 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:12 PM

Forgive me here, but what will this mean for Ivan-is the start of the N turn? Wish we knew where he'd end up. Tired of eating storm food, but also tired of losing the real food with power outages. I'm becoming delirious here, trying to plan the grocery shopping. Forgive me again...

rd522525
Unregistered

Re: The Turn? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25861 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:12 PM

Be interesting to hear your input on where this suckers going! been waiting since friday. did I miss it?

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: By the way... [Re: Keith234]
      #25862 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:18 PM

Thank you, now Ivan needs to cooperate.......the strength of that trough could also increase the shear on the system. So far, it has nine lives though.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Ivan and Texas [Re: javlin]
      #25863 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:19 PM

Shoot, I don't even have renter's insurance and don't plan on getting it right now. Does that tell you how confident I am that Ivan will not make a trip to Texas...LOL!

ShawnS

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: The Turn? [Re: rd522525]
      #25864 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:22 PM

I've busted on scott for the lack of a forecast, but I'll defend him now...He has posted several times with approximations...I don't think ANYONE has a handle on this right now...he doesn't want to make a forecast until 72 hours from US landfall...but we are approaching that time now.

This looks to be a panhandle strike Wednesday afternoon, and I'm hoping (praying) it's as a CAT II, but it depends upon way too many things ATTM.

Ivan's pressure is up to 921mb and he's going thru yet another ERC. Still hasn't decided if he wants to make that northward turn, but all model guidance suggests it.

BTW, y'all in MS don't wanna know what the ETA is progging. I'll just say that the year the Miracle Mets won the WS there was a storm of note...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: By the way... [Re: HMY]
      #25865 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:22 PM

The sat pics show well the trough that is EXPECTED to cause the shift in track, but since there is little data in storms of this magnitude and size, forecasting those turns becomes much more difficult, a la Gilbert. That trough is the one that has received a lot of mention from the various forecasters and those of us on this board. I wish I could nail it down, but don't feel confident trying to. I'll leave that to the NHC and the mets on here. The key is, if this is to turn, the reason is on that pic, and the other sat pics don't show that nearly as well as does the water vapor loop.
It would be nice if wherever this hits, there could be a strong consensus soon, so that anyone in the path can have the proper time to prepare. I think that is one of the more frustrating things.

Edited by MrSpock (Sun Sep 12 2004 12:24 PM)

rd522525
Unregistered

Re: By the way... [Re: HMY]
      #25866 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:23 PM

ive got enough food at my house to last for a year from all these canes. Im ready to have my husband take all the steel off the windows, I am living in a dungeon! The property is still full of branches and moss. figured we would wait till round 2 to get everything tidy again.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Ivan and Texas [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25867 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:23 PM

In all likely hood, Ivan will have the least chance of hitting Texas. See as Sept rolls around, the westerly flow starts to resume or become more noticiable, so once the hurricane gets to say the latitude of about south florida, it should start to move eastward and increase in foward speed.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Jason234 (Sun Sep 12 2004 12:30 PM)

BeachBum
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: The Space Coast
Re: Ivan Misses a Direct hit on the Caymans to the South [Re: Rasvar]
      #25868 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:23 PM

Quote:

The total rain looks to be a system that does not report rain as the software expects. Rain rate is normally dynamic. Looks like the rain counts have not been reset for this system. Can't by the tenths of an inch argument. There is not a rain gage that would report down to a ten thousandths of an inch like that report would be showing.

Could the 72"" of rain actually be 6' of sea water?

--------------------
From Brevard's Barrier Island
28°08'56"N; 80°35'11"W

k___g
Weather Guru

Loc: Leesburg, FL
Re: Ivan and Texas [Re: Keith234]
      #25869 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:27 PM

huh???

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #25870 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:28 PM

>>> so once the hurricane gets to say the latitude of about south florida, it should start to move westward and increase in foward speed.

Don't you mean eastward?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Ivan Misses a Direct hit on the Caymans to the South [Re: BeachBum]
      #25871 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:29 PM

Maybe the software doesn't account for tropical rainfall, aren't the droplets larger? Anyway, Ivan's pressure has risen somewhat showing signs of another eyewall replacement, this one is going to bring it below 900 mb.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Ivan and Texas [Re: LI Phil]
      #25872 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:30 PM

Yep, that's what I mean. I was thinking of the wind blowing from the west.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: The Turn? [Re: LI Phil]
      #25873 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:34 PM

I gotta run,, but even though i been hyping over the impulse droping down from the southern plains and gulf coast,, Im going to go out on a limb and say landfall will be near Biloxi, Ms. I would advise people within 100 miles of there to take preperations as needed. Category 3 hurricane should arrive by weds. I was off on the 25N and 84W but that was posted before the Jamaica interaction and kept it westerly underdoing the more se flow just n of the system now. If Im off by more then 100 miles of landpoint from this 3 day forcast I will really try to look hard at why this was. Still everyone From LA to Panama City should keep a eye on the impact of the trough coming down to see how much of a turn and when this storm will make. Gotta go.

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
      #25874 - Sun Sep 12 2004 12:35 PM

werent you a shark last night? I liked the shark...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center