F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: wxman007]
      #26052 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:12 PM

Or better still, send them to Mike so he can keep the site up and going next week!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: LI Phil]
      #26053 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Or better still, send them to Mike so he can keep the site up and going next week!

No, anything I get over the hardware cost is going to that anyway, so Iin fact Jason's idea is more important.

jthhome
Unregistered

Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: wxman007]
      #26054 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:15 PM

JK..I am becoming increasingly concerned about a Biloxi-Mobile strike. I know you beleive it is still a central to eatern Panhandle event, but what do you think about the possibility of a strike in MS/AL?

I also don't like the fact that Stewart took out the mention of sheer in the Gulf, but only pointed out the upwelling could occur to weaken the storm. I don't want to bank on cooler water in the Gulf as the reason for weakening. This could maintain at least Cat 4 all the way to the coast.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: Something to consider.... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #26055 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:18 PM

Gumby, I was posting in general on wishcasting about how I feel... I know the wishcast was not directed at me... sorry for that confusion...

several models and forecasters have mentioned Biloxi as the target for the center... I do NOT buy that at all... I feel very confident that it will be east of me, I don't care if its only 10 miles east of me as long as its east of me... living on the beach in Biloxi I do not want the winds to come out of the south.... period... winds of 125 to 140 out of the north I can handle... south winds are a beast of another matter as I have nothing to block them......

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: LI Phil]
      #26056 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:18 PM

Have to disagree, the Red Cross is going to need those quarters more than Mike.

Although I did contribute to the site and encourage others to do so, I also encourage everyone to donate to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, really any charity that is helping out with the Charley, Frances and Ivan aftermath, or if they are collecting food, personal items, etc. locally for distribution to Grenada, Jamaica, Caymans, Florida, etc. then do what you can. There are a lot of people in a world of hurt right now and unfortunatley there will be a lot more when Ivan decides where to go that need whatever help people can give.

Bill

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: jthhome]
      #26057 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:21 PM

The possibility is there...I don't conisder it as likely, but it is still a viable enough option that folks as far west as at least Biloxi should be getting ready...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Charter member of the JK fan club? [Re: meto]
      #26058 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:22 PM

They do not have Florida off the track.
Or do you not think that the area West of I-75 along I-10 is not still FLorida?
There are about 275 miles of the panhandle......that are still in Florida...

LI Phil
User

Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: BillD]
      #26059 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:22 PM

BTW, it's Jason Kelley.

Sounds like any $$$ Mike gets over and above the server costs are going to the RC. Good stuff. The US gov't (it is an election year, right) will hopefully take care of Florida, but those poor bastids in Grenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and maybe either Mexico or Coobah are going to need those funds. Give a little, give a lot, even give time (volunteer) if you can't give $$$.

Great to know that any excess $$$ will be going to a worthy cause.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: TWC/Jason Kelly [Re: MikeC]
      #26060 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:23 PM

That may be true Mike but we cannot expect you to keep dipping into your pockets to run this site................I owe a lot to you and others on here for the information..

Gumby/Pensacola
Unregistered

Re: WISHCASTING [Re: Colleen A.]
      #26061 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:24 PM

Wow will never use that word on this board again, and no II won't be upset if the thing goes somewhere else. I like my house on the bay and my place of employment. I like my electricity too. I have been through more hurricanes then I can count living in Louisiana and Florida.. They are fasinating and when I was young it was nice to get the school day off. But I apologize if my question upset you. I was seriously curious about .ishcastin..... and why we(or I) are so fasinated by these events. But I will be silent from now on. I do enjoy reading and learning on this site. It is one of the best sites for this kind of information and I will be sending a donation

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: WISHCASTING [Re: Gumby/Pensacola]
      #26062 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:29 PM

I used to wishcast when I was a kid, but I am also very competitive, and learned that wishcasting will get you more wrong than right. By the time I got to high school, and was writing my own forecasts for the whole school to hear, I got out of that in a hurry. I learned that no one listened when I was right, but everyone heard when I was wrong.

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #26063 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:31 PM

Gumby, Don't get too upset about it. This board has a long history of wishcasting discussions, some that were not very friendly, unfortunately, just ask ShawnS . I guess in a way many of us (and I include myself) are hypersensitive about it, so we go out of our way (at least we think we do) not to wishcast. And then there are the anons that fly through here and drop messages intended to get people riled up (not saying you are doing that, but if you want to hang out here it would be nice if you would register).

Bill

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #26064 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:36 PM

Yo Gumby, no need to be silent... please feel free to discuss your thoughts on the board.... the more people who participate the better the overall process.... and so much more interesting... diversity of opinion is great ... and adds so much too.... just be careful of labeling any of the regulars as a wishcaster... hehe.... now that could get ugly....

LI Phil
User

Re: WISHCASTING [Re: BillD]
      #26065 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:38 PM

I believe his comment was directed towards SoonerShawn, not anyone who has since posted about it.

It's true though, and I guess I'm as guilty of it as anyone (Hattaras anyone? then up to LI?); I believe Chief Science Officer Spock said it best about the wishcasting thingy.

The problem is, it is one thing to wishcast, be wrong and move on, it is another to keep beating that dead pony.

Houston, we have a problem. ShawnS, you may end up right after all.

Hell, even rick is bound to be right one of these days...and that day might be Thursday.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: WISHCASTING [Re: Frank P]
      #26066 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:43 PM

Gumby: clarification here. Wasn't venting at YOU, just venting.
It's getting really frustrating with all the and/ifs/buts scenarios with Ivan, and hurricane season is getting REALLY old here in Florida (especially where I live!!) , so please excuse the rudeness of the post. I really am not a rude person, honest.
Sorry if you thought it was directed at you; but I can guarantee you it was not.
Welcome aboard, stay and don't let the brashness of the post like the last one I posted scare you away. I was out of line, although I didn't mean to be.
Ya ever have a headache that lasted like 6 weeks? I have.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: WISHCASTING [Re: LI Phil]
      #26067 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

Hell, even rick is bound to be right one of these days...and that day might be Thursday.

Man, the speed this thing is moving, is that Thursday in September? Doesn't it feel like we've been tracking this for weeks?
Phil, I wasn't on last year during Isabel, but for a while it did look like it was coming our way. When it was cat 5, I think wishing for it turned into praying against it. For the record, here in S. Jersey during Isabel, we got about .68" I think, and a peak wind gust to 54. I think it was windy for 2 days though, and it actually missed us by a wide margin. That strong high to the north really expanded the wind field.

KJJBCr
Unregistered

Re: Ivan to Know Where it Goes [Re: MikeC]
      #26068 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:51 PM

Anyone heard from the Cayman's? The latest discussion gave a visual of people standing on their roof tops.That's just awful.

Jultime

Reged: Sun
      #26069 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:52 PM

I have to say thanks for this site Mike. I'll send you some $$ to help support it. I enjoy reading the site. I've already sent $$ to Red Cross.

Well I'm going to pin my hopes on the 3 day forecast being close and taking Ivan into the panhandle. So I'll go ahead and load up the truck tomorrow and let it head off to Clearwater.
Unless of course there is a major change with Ivan overnight.

:?:Now how does a hurricane affect flight plans? How much does the updraft and downdraft in a hurricane differ from that in a thunderstorm? I'm flying to Tampa from Denver on Wed and Ivan is just getting to the US coast.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Ivan to Know Where it Goes [Re: KJJBCr]
      #26070 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:53 PM

I haven't, but the scary part is that I am sure their roofs aren't that strong either. In Jamaica, I think the waves were 2 stories high. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that.

captgene
Verified CFHC User

#26071 - Sun Sep 12 2004 06:53 PM

it goes in the path of least resistance

Votes accepted from (Wed Dec 31 1969 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center