F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: GaryC]
      #26395 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:06 PM

tropical storm watch still up for keys west of Marathon... I am absolutely shocked the evacuation of the lower keys is lifted..EDS

--------------------
doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Lisa NC]
      #26396 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:09 PM

Still NW.

--------------------
doug

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: doug]
      #26397 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:10 PM

a few days ago, it appeared to be moving due north, but it turned back towards the west a few hours later (this was the day after passing Jamaica)

storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: doug]
      #26398 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

tropical storm watch still up for keys west of Marathon... I am absolutely shocked the evacuation of the lower keys is lifted..EDS

That is what I said earlier too!

Richiesurfs
Unregistered

#26399 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:15 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for deleting that obnoxious messge about Ivan destroying the Pensacola Christian College from "hmmm" last night. I didn't get a chance to post this earlier because my cable went out right after I read it. Now is not the time to wish damage and destruction on anyone regardless of your veiws on Christianity. If this storm goes up there it could be devastating for everyone. Quite honestly, that was the most obnoxious post I personslly have ever read on here. Thanks for getting rid of it. I'm in Indialantic, Fl and we evacuated to my family's in Ft. Walton Beach, Fl for Frances and now that we are home they have to deal with Ivan. Last night was the first time I had a chance to look at my beautiful landscaping and is a mess but it could have been so worse.much worse. I only hope Ivan weakens before it hits the US...wherever that may be.

dolphinscry

Reged: Sun
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Colleen A.]
      #26400 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:16 PM

I agree w/ Colleen, I noticed that he didnt seem like he was comfortable at all.
I am in West Central Fl., in Sumter Co.
I still have all the boxes of important things (unpacked from F.)ready to go, and am watching and waiting.
Silly, I'm sure, but I dont feel "right" about this storm. I cant begin to explain it.
Well, hopefully this post will make it before the new thread, because everytime Ive posted since yesterday, I get lost, lol!
Stay safe!

--------------------
"If you can't be a good example,
then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Richiesurfs]
      #26401 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:19 PM

well said Richie.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Ricreig]
      #26402 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:21 PM

Looks NW to me on this Water Vapor.

web page

This may be one of the last times I get to post here before Ivan approaches the Northeast/Central Gulf Coast. I've got a lot of preparing and stuff to do today. Not much time for a computer the next couple days. I'll try and post once or twice as the storm approaches. All those up here stay safe and report back when the storm passes! If you're told to evacuate GO!!!! Find a shelter or something. There are plenty.

Take Care All!!! And don't take this lightly! Even if you're not in the projected cone-this thing is so big it's going to affect a LOT of people........

GaryC
Weather Guru

Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Rabbit]
      #26403 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:24 PM

I think the difference this time is that the NHC has been saying it would or should make that turn.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: SirCane]
      #26404 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:28 PM

He's heading at 310. The eye is turning inside of the overall storm and will sometimes appear to be going more N or more W depending on its positioning from the previous frames. Ivan is feeling himself toward the Yucatan Channel, and may only clip the fringe west of Cuba. I'd also recommend you follow the visible in the day and the IR only at night when you have to for "eye following" purposes for storms outside of radar.

Here's a link for your convenience:

Visible storm floater

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

jth
Storm Tracker

Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Steve]
      #26405 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:32 PM

FYI to all concerned about the more NNW track. That is actually expected. If you look at the forecast positions, they are more NNW than NW for the entire peiod before the turn NE.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
      #26406 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:33 PM

As if anyone needed another reminder of what hurricanes can do, Fox 13's Howard Shapiro just mentioned ELENA. Came up, made a hard right, hit West Central Florida.
Ric's right: lead by example, don't preach. People don't react as well to others telling them what they *should* be doing, they are more inclined to follow. Remember, people like leaders, not screamers.

On a humorous note: Fox 13 just gave 3 examples of people's ideas of how to stop hurricanes:
1) Coat the entire ocean with OLIVE OIL.
2) Direct giant FANS to blow them in the other direction.
3) Use nuclear warheads to blow them up - which the director of the NHC didn't like at all, as he said, "Hurricanes are bad enough without them being radioactive."

Okay, how could you NOT laugh at those insane ideas? With the exception being, maybe #3 not being so funny, more stupid.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Ivan Turning More [Re: Colleen A.]
      #26407 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:38 PM

I may have only been four, but I remember Elena pretty vividly. She stalled right off the coast of west central Florida, turned around, and scraped the panhandle before she finally made landfall in Mississippi. I don't think she ever actually made landfall in Florida. My grandparents had evacuated to my parents' home near St. Marks, and we all ended up piling into cars and driving to /their/ house in central Florida by the time all was said and done.

My most vivid memory of the trip was sitting in the back of my grandmother's van with the family dog licking me in the face.

Every time I start to get complacent that a storm will hit a certain place, I remember Elena.

lilyv
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Utah
      #26408 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:39 PM

Don't you think, too that many folks just feel overwhelmed? It sometimes doesn't occur to them to just take it an hour at a time, and start with basic things, like get the laundry done, check for food/water, and gas up the car. If possible, divide the tasks between family members. (And one of my secret survival tips was to keep a couple of games the kids hadn't seen hidden, and brought them out when we we hot, tired, and cooped up.)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Really concerned about this... [Re: lilyv]
      #26409 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:42 PM

Think IF Ivan is caught by the trof he is going to bend back to the right.. look at the hook on that trof which is as we speak going fishing for Ivan

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

ston454
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: MikeC]
      #26410 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:42 PM

Looking at the maps in motion and using common sense it can be seen that with the front that is moving down faster and the high pressure moving further eastward along with the hurricane moving due north at this time. I strongly believe that it is going right into the west coast of Florida. I hope that I am wrong. But the hurricane bands are already about to start touching the front and that will pull it further eastward. I would suggest that this message be forwarded to the hurricane center and a human review this and issue the proper warnings and watches for the West Coast of Florida as it is strongly believed that this will occur and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see it. Just look at the IR loop radar and the water vapor loop radar and this will be clear!

Urgent tag removed from Message, opinion left as is. - Mike C.

Edited by MikeC (Mon Sep 13 2004 01:24 PM)

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay
      #26411 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

On a humorous note: Fox 13 just gave 3 examples of people's ideas of how to stop hurricanes:
1) Coat the entire ocean with OLIVE OIL.
2) Direct giant FANS to blow them in the other direction.
3) Use nuclear warheads to blow them up - which the director of the NHC didn't like at all, as he said, "Hurricanes are bad enough without them being radioactive."

On this train of thought I remembered something I heard as a child and wondered what ever happened with the idea of "seeding" a storm?

Here where I live I swear we just got a rain band that smelled and felt like bands from a hurricane. I guess I am hypersensitive or something, but It dumped so much rain, you couldn't see the back fence, then blink, it was gone. I could smell the sea in the rain and wind.

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Daytonaman
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: dolphinscry]
      #26412 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:44 PM

I too agree with Colleen. Living in Volusia County has been a rough ride the last month. Have been keeping a weary (sleepy) eye on Ivan and have throughly enjoyed all the comments and helpful insight on this site. I hope that any who experience Ivan remember that the most important asset we all have are families so be safe.
N. Texas NWS...click on large national image loop (visible) Large National Visible Loop

--------------------
Bruce
Port Orange, FL
29.14 80.99
Thanks to all who work so hard to teach those of us without the knowledge but the thirst to know.

USFTampa
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: dolphinscry]
      #26414 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:46 PM

I have been reading and using the site since Charley, which caught us all off guard here in Tampa and Orlando, and it is a great source for info. However, I would have to agree with some- I don't know why, but I just have a bad feeling about this storm. I have said it since Day 1 that Tampa was going to feel the effects in a bad way, and I have been watching the radar and tracking the storm and checking out the currents and flows, and I can obviously see the projections and all, but I STILL just cannot shake the feeling that we are still in trouble here on the Central West coast. I admittedly don't know a HUGE amount about hurricane forecasting, but I am a grad student at USF studying climatology, and I DO know that this thing is unreal and unpredictable- I have researched a lot about the past storms and weather patterns, and I won't be satisfied until it is off in the northern US somewhere as a pitiful rain cloud. So everyone please just keep checking out the Internet and news and be careful! Hopefully, this ominous feeling will disappear soon, as I SURELY don't want to go through yet another horrible storm!

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: ston454]
      #26415 - Mon Sep 13 2004 12:55 PM

This is getting a little off-the-wall. Maybe it's time to restrict posters to registered only until the threat passes?

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70763

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center