F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: NHC Radar [Re: Terra]
      #26315 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:18 AM

Tjis means that they are having software problems at the computer site. I found images that were loaded out of sequence yesterday and the images were jumping all over the place. Its one of those things that we don;t notice when there is no weather to speak of.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Rick and his Cat 5 prediction [Re: RevUp]
      #26316 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:21 AM

True, we're not in the cone anymore, but LA wasn't in the cone a few days ago either. So...while I'm feeling a little bit better, I'm going to wait until I see what this thing does once it passes Cuba.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: javlin]
      #26317 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:22 AM

Agree, CMC is a consistent outlier to the west. But even the CMC has been too fast and too far north and west of the actual path. Ivan has definitely caused all of us to reconsider the human nature of trying to predict mother nature.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Your favorite taboo topic... [Re: RevUp]
      #26318 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:24 AM

Did you see the Dynagel thread on Storm2k? Not sure if this link will work, but I'll try.... Boy, this place is sure better than they are!!!!!

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic....eb22608f32cf757

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: RevUp]
      #26319 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:25 AM

Before it is over I think the grand lesson in this is that computers are only as smart as the people who put the data in them and the good ole eyeball to the sky is the most accurate. I will be glad when recon gets into US territory and can tell us where this blasted thing really is rather than relying on computer logic. Storms are not logical.

--------------------

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Your favorite taboo topic... [Re: Terra]
      #26320 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:36 AM

Quote:

Did you see the Dynagel thread on Storm2k? Not sure if this link will work, but I'll try.... Boy, this place is sure better than they are!!!!!

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic....eb22608f32cf757

I want to comment on this real quick because it probably needs to be said. Storm2k is a fine board, they came from the beginnings through the palm beach post when they had a hurricane board. I've got a different approach than them but I don't think either one is better than the other.

As long as information gets out and people can discuss it I could care less (You gotta link I'll link it). It's not a competition of any sort, the only thing that matters is that folks can learn about hurricanes and better protect themselves by seeing varied opinions and discussions. That's the gist of it--the more the merrier in gathering facts and discussions to be better informed.

By the way Ivan Volume I on the main page article is so good I'm going to leave it up longer today.

I do want to add that it's not quite time to drop your guard in Central Florida. I'd wait until Ivan is fully in the gulf and moving solidly before that. If the high near Florida retreats away, then it could head back to the west coast of Florida. Not likely, but still worthy enough to to drop your guard.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Rick and his Cat 5 prediction [Re: tenavilla]
      #26321 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:42 AM

Agree all who state not to relax until this passes an area without any chance of return. The dynamic that will tell if this goes back east or not is still developing..the WV shows that lower pressure trough is already pretty far into the norhtern GOM area so I would not be surprised tif this does move significantly east toward the end of the forcast period say starting on Tuesday and continuing into Wed.

--------------------
doug

storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: MikeC]
      #26322 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:43 AM

Does anyone think that this storm might make a turn and take a closer path like Charlie? I've seen stroms in the past make a turn that no one expected. Please let me know.

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: MikeC]
      #26323 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:51 AM

Have you guys seen the Key west radar? they are taking a pounding with feeder bands. Also i noticed that buoy 42003 is reporting winds of 25 knots. 26.01 N 85.91 W

Ga Resident
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: storm chaser]
      #26324 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:52 AM

I have a question for the pros. If Ivan does indeed make a sharp right & inland Ga. & the Carolinas get hit. What sort of weather can we expect? Should we be considering leaving also? Or do you think it will be something a "normal" house can bear? Thanks for any replies.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: RevUp]
      #26325 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:56 AM

Yea Revup I think maybe it is far right now cause I think Ivan makes the turn N after the YUC.This becuase there is no more land for him to bounce off of.The CMC did have Ivan skimming South America,S of Jamica and SW of the Caymans.I don't know if this was due in part that it might of handled the synobtic patterns better.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #26326 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:57 AM

I would add, that the computers are also only as smart as the DATA that is put into it, and qute frankly, there is so MUCH MORE data that needs to go in, than is able to for a variety of reasons. Data in the oceanic areas is sparse, hence the NOAA flights to use dropsondes to sample the atmosphere around the storm. Also, if a model uses x number of levels in its input, there are theoretically an infinite amount of levels that CAN be input. But then, the 12Z runs wouldn't finish until 0z! (might be an exaggeration). In the winter time, mid-Atl. forecasters are reluctant to forecast strong storms way out into the future, because many times the energy used to create it is out in the Pacific, and except for satellite data, there isn't much data. When it enters land areas, then it can be better factored in.
Because of all of the above, a forum like this can exist and be valuable.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Bioman]
      #26327 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:57 AM

I just noticed (guess I'm still half asleep) that the 8am advisory has hurricane force winds 105 miles from the center. That's amazing.

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Ga Resident]
      #26328 - Mon Sep 13 2004 09:57 AM

also check out sanf1. look at the windspeed/airpressure plot. If this was all the info i had to go on i would be getting concerned web page

Edited by Bioman (Mon Sep 13 2004 10:00 AM)

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Ga Resident]
      #26329 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:01 AM

That depends on the exact track, but in general, heavy rains and flooding would be the big issue. Winds would still be strong enough to push over trees in the really spongy, rain-soaked SOIl. Those in the N.E quadrant will also face the risk of tornadoes, which on a localized basis, will be more damaging than the core winds. However, we will have to see what the storm looks like at that point. I think the several before this one that have moved through that same area would give a good indication of what to expect. And then you hope it doesn't stall anywhere.
The reason coastal residents leave is for the storm surge, which isn't felt inland. Inland gets the above conditions instead, so it depends on your situation, i.e, are you in a flood-prone area, etc.

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Bioman]
      #26330 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:03 AM

Does anyone have the link to the buoy data website?

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: storm chaser]
      #26331 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:04 AM

I am not a meterologist, just a 53 year old woman who is observant. I have observed the outflow direction from Ivan this morning from every available satellite I can find. Some of the loops are not in correct sequence and so it's difficult to say this for certain, but the upper level winds are showing a strong blow off to the southeast from Ivan's outflow right now. If you continue to monitor the satellites, you will notice the changes before the advisories come up. Also make sure you account for the fact that all of the satellites are photographed on a skew, which is different than line of sight. Also one other thing is that hurricanes like to travel towards the northpole unless they are not completely tropical in nature. (paraphrased) It appears to me that Ivan is no different except he prefers to bounce off land masses. My speculation hopefully not true is that he is looking to make it to the Yucatan and then ping-pong his way to his next land mark. I am saying this with fervent prayer that he decides the panhandle of Florida is too much trouble.

--------------------

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Kdubs]
      #26332 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:06 AM

National Data Buoy Website

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #26333 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:07 AM

NHC continues on each advisory to indicate that the northwest turn will begin on that advisory, but each advisory has Ivan farther west than north each time, and I am wondering if Ivan will ever turn and may end up hitting Texas or Louisiana (which is what the CMC model is showing)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Rabbit]
      #26334 - Mon Sep 13 2004 10:12 AM

it seems the nw turn may have already occurred as the coordinates for the last 6 hrs are NW.

--------------------
doug

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center