F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 11AM [Re: jth]
      #26355 - Mon Sep 13 2004 02:54 PM

Can someone please post Joe B's current thinking. Not asking for a copy paste, but a synopsis. Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tallahassee
Unregistered

#26356 - Mon Sep 13 2004 02:55 PM

Sorry..I meant the discussion..not the public advisory. Yes, I too think last track moved very slightly east.

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Unregistered User]
      #26357 - Mon Sep 13 2004 02:56 PM

I cannot speak for everyone on the west coast of Florida, but those I do speak with are NOT letting their guard down. We are not really looking at the 5 day projection path of the models. We are paying closer attention to the fact that this extremly dangerous storm is southwest of us and too close for comfort. Some have finally taken a breath. The blue hue was not becoming of them...

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #26358 - Mon Sep 13 2004 02:58 PM

Oh, thank you NHC...Stewart will be doing the discussion. No dis to any of the OTHER forecasters, he just explains things better.
I guess the NHC was correct after all..they said last night that the turn would begin soon. 12 hours to be exact. Now I think we can understand WHY they kept it to the east of the forecast models.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 11AM [Re: Tallahassee]
      #26359 - Mon Sep 13 2004 02:58 PM

everything BUT the discussion is out now.
http://www.atwc.org/

This is where I usually check for them.
310 deg is the offical movement now.

Right after posting, the discussion came out.

Edited by MrSpock (Mon Sep 13 2004 03:01 PM)

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 11AM [Re: MrSpock]
      #26360 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:00 PM

actually, their water vapor analysis is very similar to what I wrote yesterday, the only difference since then is that the shift in UL winds over Fla.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
wondering [Re: Tallahassee]
      #26361 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:00 PM

First, has a Cat V ever hit Cuba, and when was the last Cat IV to hit the Panhandle?

Tallahassee
Unregistered

Re: 11AM [Re: MrSpock]
      #26362 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:01 PM

Great site thinks..interesting discussion by Stewart.

Tallahassee
Unregistered

Re: 11AM [Re: Tallahassee]
      #26363 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:03 PM

I apologize again..meant thanks not thinks! Sleep deprived from 3 weeks of hurricane watching 24/7...

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Back to the Keys?? [Re: Takingforever]
      #26364 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Rational? I don't know...How can you be rational when these storms are not rational?

I agree that storms are not rational, so YOU have to be. THis means keeping abreast of current information, applying your knowledge and experience, making rational decisions based upon what you and those you trust to make good decisions (mets, etc.) and then act on those decisions in a timely manner. *Could* Key West be hit directly, yes, is it likely? No, not based upon what we 'know' about the facts available. No, storms are not rational, but somebody has to be.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Back to the Keys?? [Re: Takingforever]
      #26365 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:05 PM

Rational is paying attention to the NHC forecasts and public mets on TV/radio. Irrational is news media tunnel vision, focusing on a city rather than a region (i.e. cone of concern).
Rational is preparing for the cyclone, then taking appropriate protective measures if and when it moves within 48 hours of my location. Irrational is hoarding supplies, threatening others, looting, and not looking out for the needs of others.
Rational is the response of many, many people after Charley to help bring in supplies, cleanup, and rebuild. Nothing could have prevented Charley from doing what it did. People did respond with compassion to help out others, though. No need to panic.
"Prepare for the worst, pray for the best."

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Kimster]
      #26366 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:08 PM

These people located here in Central Florida. They are letting their guards down. Like Orange, Seminole, and Volusia couinties. I'm not, and I live in Volusia. I saw Charlie and Andrew. Not pretty!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Kimster]
      #26367 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:09 PM

LOL, Kim...you're right. If you live in Jamaica, you're in the clear as far as Ivan's concerned, because he's already made his presence well known. No one else ABOVE him is yet. I think the rule of thumb is that until a storm is past your lat/lon, you're supposed to pay attention. If people want to say I'm irrational, fine. I'm not. I'm very confident in what I do and say. If I was running around knocking on people's doors telling them the sky was falling, get me a room at the Physco-Day Inn.
I'm not sure what Ivan's gonna do, none of us are or we WOULD be able to stop paying attention. Keep in mind that since this turn has started now, it's closer to the peninsula than previously thought. At least, that's what I think. If the N turn starts in a day or so, then we're right back where we were 6 days ago.
Hopefully not. But this is exactly why people NEED to pay attention. Not panic, just monitor.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: storm chaser]
      #26368 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:12 PM

Quote:

These people located here in Central Florida. They are letting their guards down. Like Orange, Seminole, and Volusia couinties. I'm not, and I live in Volusia. I saw Charlie and Andrew. Not pretty!

I think what you are seeing is not letting their guard down but instead stopping the holding of our collective breath. We are starting to turn blue and need oxygen to live, so we breathe a collective sigh of relief....but we do NOT let our guard down. I, for one just bought more batteries despite the current forecast, but I also bought a new UPS for my computers. Some sense of normalcy with guarded optimism and constant vigilance.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Colleen A.]
      #26369 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:12 PM

I agree that this storm could go off course and surprise us so that is why I have all my boards up and other supplies ready. NHC does what it can and does tell all of us to be prepared.

ToddR

Reged:
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Redbird]
      #26370 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:17 PM

Afternoon all!

Thanks for the interesting discussions! I have learned more about hurricanes, meteorology, and geography since 8:00 this morning!

Here is my question from a completely non-weather guy--My wife and I are "supposed" to head to Orlando tomorrow morning for a nice "relaxing" vacation in Disney World....Should we reschedule? Is this a bad idea waiting to happen? We will be there until Friday (flying in from Ohio). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Ricreig]
      #26371 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:18 PM

Agree entirely, Richard.
Good forecast and discussion from NHC. The only thing I suspect is that they move Ivan a little too fast. That can be a good habit, though.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: ToddR]
      #26372 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:23 PM

Will post more when the new thread comes out. Ivan looks good and finally is feeling the breaking of the ridge over the eastern gulf. Still 2 things can happen and I favor my 3 day forcast of landfall near Biloxi after skimming LA. The other I will mention in next tread. Also I will mention the development of Tropical Storm Jeanne about 150 miles east of Dominica. This should become named when recon goes in there. Im not sure exactly if they are going in this afternoon, but this will be a small compact system.

scottsvb

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: ToddR]
      #26373 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Here is my question from a completely non-weather guy--My wife and I are "supposed" to head to Orlando tomorrow morning for a nice "relaxing" vacation in Disney World....Should we reschedule? Is this a bad idea waiting to happen? We will be there until Friday (flying in from Ohio). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

I only live two hours away, and if I had the opportunity, I would definitely go. I just hope you're not connecting through Atlanta on Friday ... could be a real mess!

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again [Re: Redbird]
      #26374 - Mon Sep 13 2004 03:24 PM

[quote NHC does what it can and does tell all of us to be prepared.

I believe that the bottom line here is responsibility. Most houses here left thier boards up from last week, we made sure that what supplies were used during Frances were restocked, and many of us did not restock the meats, buying what is needed and no more. I have listened to news, and have spent time reading here, learning, checking out links and paying attention. Even though we are in the clear as far as that cone on the model, it is just a model, and Ivan is not obligated to follow the path that NHC or any other model lays down. So I will lurk in the back ground here, reading every post, checking out every link, and educating myself so I can make responsible decisions with the information provided me. What else is there to do? Just my 2cents

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70484

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center